Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which (non carbon) 650b wheelset?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Looking for a 650b wheelset, preferably non carbon.

Would prefer something on a Pro4 hub as they look easy to service etc but I’ve read a few moans about the current Hope Hoops.

What is everyone else running?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What for?
    Stans Flow EX works for me, new ones out and wider.
    Whats the moans about hope for? Hibs are dead easy to service if/when you need to

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Mainly rocky/natural riding so something strong. Did look for FlowEx but they seem to be discontinued now, I did have a pair of 26″ Flows which held up well for a couple of years.

Read on a few occasions now that the Hope rims dent quite easily.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Flow-EX-650b-32-Hole-Black-P971.aspx
    They have changed from 25-35mm rims so probably a stock change. Happy enough here bashing round on them,some heavier mates on them too. Depends if your a rim smasher or not really 🙂

mahalo

this looks like a decent offer… tempted myself..

http://www.ptcycles.co.uk/prod/2511/Stan%27s+Flow+EX+650b+Hope+Pro+4/

wilko1999
    Free Member

DT EX471s on Hope Pro 2 evo. So far so good for me, very stiff rim, withstand my botched heavy landings and easy tubeless.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

EX471 on Hope here too.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ex471 on 240s . Perfect

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve got some DT XM1501’s – which have been great.

Basically an updated, lighter 240S hub. If the rim dies I will lace them up to some new wider 28H Stans Arch rims, at 26mm wide internally, they are kind of the sweet spot IMO.

stevied
    Free Member

DT350 + EX471’s. Very happy with them

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Quite happy with my Spank Oozy 295 wheels.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

XM1501’s would be my pick. EX if you want something even more robust.

wilko1999
    Free Member

D’oh in contrast to my post above my EX471s are actually on DT350s not Hope Pro IIs. Knob-head.

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve been through a fair few wheels.

Currently running DTSwiss EX471 on the rear and FR570 on the front. Both held up well in the alps. The FR570s were a bit of a mare to get taped up for tubeless.

wl
    Free Member

Easton Arc 27 on Hope, so far so good on my P7 hardtail.

Hope Tech Enduros don’t dent easily

mindmap3
    Free Member

Running Hope pro 4’s on Easton ARC30’s.

Really happy so far – easy to set up tubless and they’re held air like champs.

I previously ran DT Swiss M1700’s which I thought were great (bike was nicked). Not that wide but stiff, worked well tubeless and easy to service.

philstone

I’ve dented my Arc 24 – absolutely no recollection at all of any heavy impacts that would’ve done – only one side and very deep.. to its credit its still holding air.

Just ordered a new E13 TRS+ 28mm rim to replace it.

jonnym92

I’ve got tech enduros and there’s no sign of denting, happy with them. If I was buying now I’d get something wider but I don’t think there’s such a great difference.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, plenty to go at then. Stuck between the Flow Ex and the 471s.

In the past I’ve not really paid attention to rim width, what’s the advantage of a wider rim?

chiefgrooveguru

Wider is more stable at lower pressures but too wide and the tyre ends up too square making it more nervy on the limit and more draggy. For normal sized trail/enduro tyres I think most manufacturers are designing based on 22-28mm rims, 35-45mm rims for plus tyres.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Quite happy with my Spank Oozy 295 wheels.

All reviews for these have been glowing, some riders online absolutely rate them too, but some have complained about loosening spokes, cheese-like free hubs. Talk about mixed messages, but why? Surely they can’t vary that widely in quality can they?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which (non carbon) 650b wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.