Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Which new helmet?
  • dandax1990
    Free Member

Hi guys, should be back on the bike soon so looking for a new helmet to replace the Giro Hex that cracked into 8 pieces >.<

The Giro Hex was a nice fit but would like something with more coverage at the back.

Really like the look of the IXS Trail RS helmet, anyone used one of these before? Don’t want to spend anymore than £80 if I can. Any other helmets I should be looking at? Needing good ventilation.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Love my 661 Recon – light and all day comfy. £40 delivered from CRC

dandax1990
    Free Member

I tried a Recon last summer and really didn’t get on with it :/

Northwind

Fit of the Fox Flux and Striker is very similiar to the Hex IME… Flux gives a lot of coverage but is a bit chunky and weighty, Striker has only a little more coverage than the Hex but is better at everything else.

Specialized Tactic 2 also worth a look, if you’re happy with boring colours.

shiny
    Free Member

Bell Super – fatbirds were doing them for 80 posted. Well vented, excellent head coverage, intergrated go pro mount, lightweight. I bought M and wear a giro xar in M as well.

Cheers
    Shiny

simonjj
    Free Member

Replaced my 661 Recon with an Urge All Mountain, much better fit for me and not too bad heat wise even on the warmest days. CRC have a sales on: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/urge/helmets/mtb-helmets

dandax1990
    Free Member

I really like the look of the Urge helmets but reckon it may be too warm for me, What’s the ventilation system like coming from someone who’s used the helmet?

The Bell Super looks like a good option, cheers.

I like the Fox’s, may go down to All Terrain this weekend and try them on.

Anyone heard of any negatives towards the IXS? The blue would be a perfect match for me Altura Mayhem jacket which is on it’s way 😀 Or it may be too much blue… hmmmm.

frogstomp

I really like the look of the Urge helmets but reckon it may be too warm for me, What’s the ventilation system like coming from someone who’s used the helmet?

I did Cwmcarn last weekend as the first ride-out in my new AM. The weather was warm and quite humid but I was impressed with how airy the helmet was.. maybe not as good as my Hex but not too far off.

A big plus for me was that the front pad was excellent for absorbing sweat – normally with the Hex the pad ends up sodden and dripping down my face.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I have the Recon, but don’t really like it, doesn’t seem to fit my head shape, and it’s warm!

The Bell super, my mate brought one and had to chisel out the padding on the sides a little to get his sunnies to sit right with the helmet?

mattyd
    Free Member

Catlike Leaf might be worth a look. I like mine anyway.

jekkyl

I’ve got a giro xar, love it, looks good. Last year’s on crc for £52

dandax1990
    Free Member

Cheers frog! The Urge pads look and have been said to be really good.

honourablegeorge

Urge AM 2013 is £55.99 on CRC right now. Mine arrived this morning, and I quite like it.

wiggles
    Free Member

got a giro feature for £30 yesterday with the discount code for Evans, seems like a bargain to me!

Northwind

Giro Feature seems brilliant but I’ve got a Hex shaped head and the Feature is pretty different at the back/top of the head.

Oh, for that matter, I also wanted the Urge but their sizing’s weird, I’ve got a medium Urge dh helmet but the medium enduro helmet is much smaller and the large is much bigger. Limited ability to tweak sizing with these.

chives
    Free Member

Destroyed my Fox Flux last Sunday – and will probably replace it with another Flux as that one did its job well I reckon.

pipiom
    Free Member

Recently bought 2 Urge all mountain lids and they’re awesome, great fit and cozy, plenty of ventilation. Maybe less holes but strategically placed for maximum venting

dandax1990
    Free Member

Would need to try an Urge on before buying, Heard the fit is quite specific.

iain1775
    Free Member

Another one for catlike leaf, great venting coolest comfiest helmet I’ve ever worn
    Found my Urge too hot so will probably sell it
    Giro Feature also cheap at sport pursuit at mo

fasthaggis

Fox Flux has been good for ma heid.
    Saw this thread earlier and followed the Wiggle link, Met Stradivarius at half price, ya beauty ,<add to basket> 🙂

zelak999
    Free Member

I like the look of the IXS lid.
    They don’t seem to be available at the moment, CRC says out of stock until 14th October.
    The pink bike and Dirt reviews were both pretty praising.

dandax1990
    Free Member

I can wait until the 14th, Not sure when I can ride yet 🙁

zelak999
    Free Member

What happened to your 8 piece Hex then dandax?

mekon
    Free Member

Loving my Bell super…all depends on your head shape I suppose.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Which new helmet?’ is closed to new replies.