Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which New Brakes: Hope or Saint??
  • andylux
    Free Member

I’m after some new brakes for trail centre riding and XC, I currently have Avid Juicy 7’s but fancy either the saints or some Hopes?

Which Hopes would be most suitable please as I’m 15 stone and ride quite hard? not sure about the differences between V2 & X2?

Please help, Experiences of the Saints would be good too!!

Cheers

andylux
    Free Member

Thank you please.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I’ve got Hope tech M4,half way between X2’s and X2’s. They use 4 pistons per caliper rather than two so pretty powerful but not not as heavy as V2’s which are an out and out downhill brake.
    I find the tech M4’s really well made, good power and modulation (no squelling noise neither which is a bonus). Hope have very good availability of parts/spares too.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve had two sets of Hopes and am now running Saints (the previous version) and never intend to go back to Hopes: I found them so inconsistent its untrue, whereas my Saints haven’t let me down yet in the 3 years I’ve had them.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Before the tech M4’s I’d been running the same set of older M4’s since 2003 with no probs at all.

ahwiles
    Free Member

no offense, but the saint brakes are probably over-kill for ‘a bit of xc and trail centre’ stuff.

i’m more than happy with my slx brakes, and they’re MUCH cheaper, with the money i’ve saved vs saint brakes i can get to the alps.

even my old hone (lx) brakes have been more than good enough for my Dh/alps/mega-A/trail-centre-stuff riding.

i do like the hope stuff, but it’s a bit tlc-hungry IME, my shimano brakes have been truly fit-and-forget for years.

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve had both hope’s and shimano’s and to be honest they are both very good. The old M4’s i’ve had have been brilliant and the mini’s have suited what i used them for, but, i’m afraid the new saints i’ve got are a class apart. Much more power, easier to get parts, lovely feel just generally a fantastic brake!

Whichever one you get you’ll be pleased with, but i’d get the new saints. (I got mine from ride-on in Rawtenstall, really helped me out, but merlin are doing an awesome deal too).

Hope this helps

neilforrow

ahwiles
    “no offense, but the saint brakes are probably over-kill for ‘a bit of xc and trail centre’ stuff.” – you can never have enough power…

“i’m more than happy with my slx brakes, and they’re MUCH cheaper, with the money i’ve saved vs saint brakes i can get to the alps.” however you have a good point here.. I have a set… and they are very good… and unbeatable for the money… CRC have them in the sale at the mo.

scruff
    Free Member

SLX on my bike, Im a 15stone powerful expert DHer 🙂

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Buy some Saints, I did – you won’t regret it!

jim
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the Juicies?

andylux
    Free Member

Thanks Everyone,

Juicy’s have been good but the leavers have developed a lot of play (im aware rebuild kits are available) and I just fancy bit of a change really.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which New Brakes: Hope or Saint??’ is closed to new replies.