Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which neoair?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m swithering between the all season and the xtherm. R values are close, the price and rectangular shape of the all season appeals, only a 140gm weight penalty. Is it any more durable?

http://cascadedesigns.com/en/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/neoair-all-season/product £95 odd online

http://cascadedesigns.com/en/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair-xtherm/product £109 odd online

boblo
    Free Member

We did this the other week <sigh> 🙂

Go for the lightest unless you’re planning and lots and lots and lots of winter backpacking.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well the lighter is the x-therm shich is also the warmer 😛

matt_outandabout

Easy answer then.

(unless you go for the Synmat Ultralite

scotroutes

If this is about robustness and longevity then just be careful where you lie down and/or carry something to lie under the mat. Of course, that would be added weight….

boblo
    Free Member

My standard NeoAir is probably coming up to 4 years old. It’s had loads of use including two very long backpacking/bikepacking trips without incident (that’s done it now).

You need to be careful what you put air mats on (Neo’s or any other type) as a puncture will really spoil your day (night). I always carry a puncture kit and am careful where I pitch and what on. Some of the State Park pitches in the US are so over used, they are hardened dirt plus a liberal dose of grit. Perfect for knackering both groundsheet and air mat. I used a cut down cheap plastic tarp to protect both.

Just remember it’s not a Karrimat and carry the means to repair.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Awww **** Matt you’ve confused me again…that’s a good price!

Does anyoen benefit from the Large mats in terms of comfort/rolling around in sleep? (I’m used to a kingsize bed on my own!)

matt_outandabout

I find the small mats a pain – I cannot roll or move without falling off, and my feet get cold (and damp) or my shoulders are cold (and damp). Long and big everytime, for a few grammes more…

scotroutes

I like the layout of the tubes on the Hyalite – larger tubes down the outside of the mat to help stop you rolling off. But then I’m a wee guy so it’s probably less of a problem for me.

boblo
    Free Member

What’s the packed size of the Synmat? I’d go for an Xlite rather than the Xtherm unless you’re doing loads and loads of winter backpacking (<sigh> repeating myself here). The Regular (medium to us Brits) is the same size as the Synmat and both the Neo’s are lighter. The Synmat price is pretty compelling if you must go for a heavier, bulkier, same size and no warmer mat though 😉

Are you this much of a werrit on all your purchases? No wonder you have a king size all to yourself 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bob I’ve already bought one mat that wasn’t right, I only want to buy one more, and am balancing the various criteria before dropping the ton or so. I’m by no means the worst here for this!

boblo
    Free Member

I know, I’m only joshing 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

😡 if I meet you I am puncturing your neoair 😛

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a synmatt. It’s the most comfy matt I’ve used by a long way, but its fragile too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So I got a M Xtherm…delighted, 80gm weight and £16 price penalty over std Neoair for twice the insulation

thanks all!

boblo
    Free Member

Bated breath, now released…. 🙂

Somewhere is the inaugural bike packing/backpacking weekend then?

johnnystorm

V happy with my Xtherm. I find the standard pump sack a bore so I’ve invested in the 40l biggun. Inflates it quick sharp. I found http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk to be the cheapest.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL @ boblo…I’ve just bought a Fargo (a spontaneous decision too!) so I’ll need to build that up and order some frame bags 😛

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which neoair?’ is closed to new replies.