Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • Which myth?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Julius Caesar

Who’s he when he’s at home ?

nickc

I’m pretty pro wikipedia’s articles (science especially) but I wouldn’t trust anything an article like that said.

you just have to look at the discussion page to get a feeling for it…

toys19
    Free Member

There’s, apparently, more evidence for the existence of Jesus than there is for Julius Caesar.

Ah mike seems thats an urban myth, do you not trust google?

clicky

more debunking

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Julius Caesar and Jesus Christ had the same initials. Coincidence? I don’t think so…

Stoner
    Free Member

As an avowed atheist myself I assure the forum that any suggestion that Jesus was a top dude by me is wholly accidental. I did, obviously erroneously, however believe that there was evidence of someone broadly fitting his description doing the rounds about 2000 yrs ago.

miketually
    Free Member

Ah mike seems thats an urban myth, do you not trust google?

Not something I’ve ever cared about to look up, to be honest 🙂

I’m pretty pro wikipedia’s articles (science especially) but I wouldn’t trust anything an article like that said.

Religion is one thing to not trust on Wikipedia. Along with politics, evolution, etc.

swiss01
    Free Member

take them to see this and get some proper santa down them

swiss01
    Free Member

while you’re at it, check out the iron sky trailer on the side bar.

space nazis. on the moon.

what’s not to like?

luked2
    Free Member

Hearsay?

What a load of rubbish.

John knew him personally, and wrote down his experiences. As did Luke. And Matthew, Oh, and Mark.

The idea that there’s no evidence for the existence of Jesus is risible.

In any event, there’s more sense in just one verse of the Bible than in a thousand posts on this crappy forum.

5thElefant
    Free Member

In any event, there’s more sense in just one verse of the Bible than in a thousand posts on this crappy forum.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.
    (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

ahwiles
    Free Member

luked2 – Member
    … there’s more sense in just one verse of the Bible than in a thousand posts on this crappy forum.

Jeremiah 10:2 – 10:4

Jer 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
    Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the ax.
    Jer 10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

(God has told us not to ‘do’ Christmas trees)

Stoner
    Free Member

(Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you

MrWoppit
    Free Member

luked2 – Member

Hearsay?

What a load of rubbish.

John knew him personally, and wrote down his experiences. As did Luke. And Matthew, Oh, and Mark.

The idea that there’s no evidence for the existence of Jesus is risible.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

kennyp
    Free Member

So which myth do we let him believe in – Santa Claus or Jesus?

Do we not get this troll pretty much every year? Can we have something more original instead please.

Stoner
    Free Member

Do we not get this troll pretty much every year?

not that i recall, but if you have a link to a thread i’ll happily read it.

KT1973
    Free Member

Jesus is just a Spanish boy’s name.. How come one man got so much fame?.

kennyp
    Free Member

We do get similar ones quite regularly on here. Standard technique is to say something supposedly “controversial” in an effort to drum up an “outraged” response, although usually picking on a soft target such as Christianity rather than one that is likely to see the poster targeted by violent extremists.

That’s the problem, see.
    If xtians became more violent and extreme, everyone would stop picking on them.

yunki
    Free Member

Don’t the Dutch people have a nice xmas story.. with St Nicolas and his little hottentot helper ‘Black Peter’..?

If you have been good St Nic will bring you a gift.. but if you have been bad Black Peter will bundle you into a sack and take you off to live a life of slavery…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This thread is turning out to be really entertaining !

I love the way how in response to luked’s comment “there’s more sense in just one verse of the Bible than in a thousand posts on this crappy forum”, (and yes the irony of that comment coming from someone who always talks so much bollox isn’t lost on me) people start digging through the bible looking for evidence to suggest otherwise, but they all flick past the first chapter……….well you can’t be absolutely sure that Genesis isn’t nonsense, now can you ? !

ahwiles chooses an example which apparently proves that the bible predicted the advent of Christmas trees a thousand years before the actual birth of Christ………well praise the Lord, ’tis a miracle and the word of God !

5thElefant and Stoner both choose examples which focus on Judaism’s commitment to racism, war, and revenge, the very things which the Christ birth that the 25th of December celebrates, was designed to put an end to …. the Christmas message is supposed to be a message of peace !

And throughout his life Christ is claimed to have come out with earth-shattering pronouncements such as “love your neighbour like yourself” “if someone slaps you, offer them the other cheek to slap” and the parable of the racially inferior and hated, but yet good, Samaritan.

All pretty revolutionary stuff even by today’s standards, and certainly by the standards of an epoch in which people watched half-starved carnivores eating other human beings alive just for the “entertainment” value. If the Christ story was merely the brainchild of one (or more) person he (they) was a truly unbelievably remarkably person…..almost god-like in quality you could say. I wonder what his name
    was ? I know, let’s call him Jesus Christ…….just cause it makes thing easier like. Despite the fact that he (they) never existed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

picking on a soft target such as Christianity

The church is weak and powerless – go read some history.

He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Deuteronomy 23:1

Corinthians 14:34-35 (English Standard Version)

34(A) the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but(B) should be in submission, as(C) the Law also says. 35If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.
    linked to timothy 12:2

I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;Or over her husband she must be quiet.

Obvioulsya diety would be a sexist mysoginist how could anyone think differently ?

18 If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him,
    19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town.
    20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 NIV
    It sure beats the naughty step IMHO

Hosea 13:16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

ETC

5thElefant
    Free Member

5thElefant and Stoner both choose examples which focus on Judaism’s commitment to racism, war, and revenge, the very things which the Christ birth that the 25th of December celebrates, was designed to put an end to …. the Christmas message is supposed to be a message of peace !

As amusing as googling bible reference is I’m sure you can find the new testement pro slavery bits as easy as I can.

But… as I’m sure we all know christsmas isn’t a christian festival. It’s a pagan festival that the christians couldn’t stamp out (although cromwell managed for a few years). The message is simple: pig out and get pissed. It’s a timeless message 🙂

kennyp
    Free Member

The church is weak and powerless – go read some history

My history is fine thanks. However I do suggest you read my post more clearly. There’s a difference between the Church and Christianity. Why not go onto some public forum and print your name and address and say something about Mohammed and see the reaction. Or is that not such an easy target to attack?

Kunstler

Cyclical discussion?

Stoner Jr is old enough this year for the full on christmas thing.

So which myth do we let him believe in – Santa Claus or Jesus?

Is it a myth to believe that celebration and dogma might not possibly be mutually inclusive? However, easy does it…

The message is simple: pig out and get pissed. It’s a timeless message

There is probably something along these lines in the bible. Though it might not make such a celebratory reference to pig.

Please, just go back and listen and listen to Tim sing his song. He’s quite charming. Maybe we can all join in together. Just imagine how wonderful it could be, all our voices joined as one…

kennyp
    Free Member

Why not go onto some public forum and print your name and address and say something about Mohammed and see the reaction. Or is that not such an easy target to attack?

No sign of that challenge having been taken up. Somehow that doesn’t really surprise me. Not quite the big, brave attacker of religion now, eh!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No sign of that challenge having been taken up. Somehow that doesn’t really surprise me. Not quite the big, brave attacker of religion now, eh!

And why don’t you go on a public forum and print your name and address and say something about the English being scum, or immigrants being parasites, or fox hunting being…….

Yes, you’ve worked out that there are some nutters in this world…………clever you.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Speaking of which:

[video]http://vimeo.com/16779150[/video]

yunki
    Free Member

We’re raising our kids in the good viking tradition of rape and pillage..

kennyp
    Free Member

And why don’t you go on a public forum and print your name and address and say something about the English being scum, or immigrants being parasites

Because those aren’t my opinions, so why would I say something like that? Some of your contributions to debates have been quite worth reading, but that’s just plain silly.

I was suggesting to Stoner that as he’s happy to come on here and have a go at Christianity, then if he was man enough he’d go on a public forum and attack Islam, and not hide behind a nickname.

I’ve no problem with him having a pop at Christianity I should add.

yunki
    Free Member

I was suggesting to Stoner that as he’s happy to come on here and have a go at Christianity, then if he was man enough he’d go on a public forum and attack Islam, and not hide behind a nickname.

Isn’t that a bit like watching someone innocently and lovingly throwing a ball for their family labrador.. and then sneeringly suggesting that if they think they are a real man they should play rough with the pitbulls that the drug dealer on the estate keeps in his backyard..?

IanMunro
    Free Member

In fairness, I’ve yet to see anyone posting on this forum about how lovely Mohammed is, and wouldn’t the world be so much better if we all followed the Koran.
    I suspect if they did, they’d get the same response as advocates of Christianity normally get.

iDave
    Free Member

On behalf of stoner et al, I think islam promotes beliefs as stupid as all other religions. do i win a prize?

kennyp
    Free Member

In fairness, I’ve yet to see anyone posting on this forum about how lovely Mohammed is, and wouldn’t the world be so much better if we all followed the Koran.

The point I was making though is that plenty of people come on here and get tore into Christianity (and some of it is justified I’ll admit). However I’ve never seen anyone have the guts to launch a vitriolic personal attack om Mohammed, possibly suggesting he is a complete myth, just like Santa Claus.

By all means criticise people or things, I’m in favour of free speech. However I’m just bored of people attacking easy targets that won’t strike back, and hiding behind nicknames when they do so.

RustySpanner

Hello kennyp.

I too would like to confirm that I find all narrow-minded fundamentalist religious types equally objectionable, offensive and ridiculous.
    I am an equal-opportunity atheist. 🙂

Oh, and kenny, would you care to explain to the family of the dozen or so Americans killed by fundamentalist Christian anti-abortionists over the last few years how Christianity is a ‘soft touch’?

Father Christmas is definitely the one to go for Stoner.

trailmonkey

could i suggest that this thread has now officially dissapeared up its own ring piece ?

yunki
    Free Member

I’ll add something helpful here before it does that..

In general… ALL people that believe in a magic person that lives in the sky are considered to be mildly mentally ill by the sane world..

that is all..

kennyp
    Free Member

Oh, and kenny, would you care to explain to the family of the dozen or so Americans killed by fundamentalist Christian anti-abortionists over the last few years how Christianity is a ‘soft touch’?

Those people (who are murdering idiots) were attacking people who believed in abortion, not who were insulting Christianity. That’s the difference.

kennyp
    Free Member

In general… ALL people that believe in a magic person that lives in the sky are considered to be mildly mentally ill by the sane world..

Really? Where’s your evidence for that? I’m curious as to where you got those “facts” from?

kennyp
    Free Member

I too would like to confirm that I find all narrow-minded fundamentalist religious types equally objectionable, offensive and ridiculous.

I agree with you 100%.

yunki
    Free Member

Really? Where’s your evidence for that? I’m curious as to where you got those “facts” from?

sorry.. I think that you’ve misunderstood me..

my post was a joke..

The joke worked on the premise that I had written that I was adding something helpful.. when in fact my post was incredibly unhelpful..

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Which myth?’ is closed to new replies.