• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which mudguards for a road bike?
  • dandax1990
    Free Member

Hi guys, Looking for some mudguards priced around £20 and for a road bike.

Was thinking of the Crud Roadracer Mk2’s but read up they are quite flimsy and break fairly easy.

Any other alternatives?

Cheers guys.

kilo

If it’s a tight fitting road bike raceblade longs but a bit over budget

dandax1990
    Free Member

They’re for a Triban 5 with 25mm tyres, Not overly tight.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lifer
    Free Member

SKS Chromoplastic!

dandax1990
    Free Member

How do they mount, Lifer?

petefromearth

I’ve recently bought some Raceblade Longs for my cannondale supersix – they are well worth the cash. sturdy and look good. Really impressed.

Being a bit of a tart I didn’t want to have anything clipped to the frame which might scuff. These are ace because they only contact the brakes & skewers

The big crudcatcher ones are pants IMO. Really flappy and poorly made.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you have proper mounts the chromoplastics, otherwise raceblades. Believe that is the official STW response 🙂

Had cruds on mine, they were indeed rubbish and the plastic bolts snapped. Chromoplastics now and they are great.

edhornby

The triban have mudguard mounts so SKS all the way

P-clips if you have no eyelets

DT78
    Free Member

Where is the cheapest place for those race blades then? Any bargains about?

kilo

They’re for a Triban 5 with 25mm tyres, Not overly tight.

I have a triban 3 with the raceblade longs and 23mm’s it’s quite tight under the brake caliper and 1)I think normal sks mudgaurds won’t fit 2) you’ll be lucky to get race blade longs with 25mm tyres working

dandax1990
    Free Member

Confused as to which way to go now.

They’re not for me but for a friends bike which I’m servicing and fitting new 25mm tyres and guards for the winter but don’t want to fit the Roadracers if they won’t last.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Where is the cheapest place for those race blades then? Any bargains about?

Think there was a Halfords PSA on here earlier today saying they were doing deals.

jonesy99
    Free Member

has anyone fitted race blades to cube peloton?

plus-one

I lost count of the sks guards that failed at rear bridge or close to 🙁

Fitted a set of tortec guards and no issues …seem to be made from durable plastic 🙂

dandax1990
    Free Member

Hmmm ok

Bez

If you have proper mudguard mounts then get SKS P35 Chromoplastics. Don’t bother with inferior guards and *definitely* don’t bother with Race Blades or Cruds unless you don’t have mounts for proper guards, because they’re absolutely miserable in comparison.

fathomer

I’ve got the Crud Roadracer Mk2’s on my Boardman (no mounts) and they’ve been on there over a year and about 2.5k miles with no issues at all. Though I’ve never used ‘proper’ guards to compare them with.

TiRed

I too like P35 SKS chromoplastics. And like everyone else, my rear snapped. I had some Tortec commuter mudguards in the box of parts-that-never-found-their-way-onto-a-bike box and they’ve been every bit as good, in fact the reflective edging makes them better. For some reason. however the rear red reflector was mounted too high up, so the mudguard light points up slightly. I reused all the SKS stays and nice mounting bolts and plastic end caps too. Just swapped the mudguard itself.

Have race blades too, but the preferred money no object answer for narrow clearance is PDW full metal fenders. Charlie the Bikemonger stocks them.

Northwind

SKS Chromoplastics for me too. Mine have both snapped at the back, but it’s easy to fix and doesn’t detract at all from their overall excellence.

TheWrongTrousers

Just FYI regarding the Crud Roadracers, you can spares for them from Crud for the price of a couple of stamps. So don’t worry too much about breaking them as you’ll be able to get replacement bits dead easily.
    I’ve had a set for a while and broken them once but I’ve recently bought a set of the new ones, which I like a lot and now consequently have loads of spares.
    I think they’re designed to break easily in case they get stuck in something they shouldn’t.
    They’re very light and discrete on the bike which I like.

Bez

Haven’t had a set of Chromoplastics break yet – the one fault I do find with them is that the seatstay bracket isn’t good enough at holding them in place when you have a dyno light on the rear guard. 99% of the time it’s fine, it just occasionally needs a little shove and another nip with pliers. (That said, you could drill them and attach them with an L-shaped bracket instead.)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which mudguards for a road bike?’ is closed to new replies.