Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which MTB Frameset? – Please advise :-)
  • skydragon
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a 2014 Canyon Spectral and although I’ve really enjoyed the bike, I want to buy a new full-suss frame with around 150mm of travel that will give me a longer reach and enable me to use a shorter stem. I’d then use the existing Pike forks, wheels, brakes, etc on the new frame.

I’m just under 6ft tall and I have fairly long arms and torso, but my legs are 31.5″ inseam, which means for some frames that fit my legs ok, they are too short in reach for me.

My current spectral frame has a seat tube 480mm (18.9″) long and with a 125mm dropper post fully lowered into the frame, it fits me perfectly (any longer a seat tube and the bike would be too big for my legs).

My current frame has a effective top tube length of around 605mm, as best I can measure it and I’d like something longer in reach. At the moment I’m using a 90mm stem.

I guess I need a 18″ frame but with a long top tube to give a long reach.

Question now is which frame to buy?

I like the look of the Commencal Meta AM v4….but the seat post on the Large size is 490mm which means when I sat on one the other day, it was a bit too long for my legs with the 125mm dropper post extended. Plus the standover height was too high for me. The reach however seemed spot on for me with a 50mm stem. I guess I could use a 100mm dropper post and the bike would then probably fit me leg wise, although that may cause other issues in terms of seat height in relation to bars?

I’d like a 2015 Canyon Spectral frame, as they made the frame top tube longer in 2015 to counter market feedback it needed too long a stem for many riders. But sadly you can’t buy frameset only.

The Orange Five geometry looks like exactly what I want in Large (18″ frame gives 630mm effective top tube) but I’m not a fan of the Five’s design ethos.

I looked at the specs for a Santa Cruz Bronson, but it seems it doesn’t have a long reach.

Ideas and recommendations from the STW massive??

AlexSimon

I don’t know about the others in terms of ST length, but the Bird Aeris might be worth a look.
    Medium is st: 445 tt: 620
    Large is st: 490 tt: 640

BB is low, so running shorter 170mm cranks works well and will raise you up by 5mm with regard to the st.

AlexSimon

The Transition Scout and Patrol also have short STs
    As do the Kona Process range

dang100
    Free Member

Mondraker Foxy or Dune?

dickie
    Free Member

Turner Burner

skydragon
    Free Member

Thought I’d post an update.

In the end I really surprised myself and went for a latest spec (longer/slacker) Orange Five frame. I added a DBair shock and I’m very happy with the end result.I don’t know how much that is to do with the new Five geometry, but it’s a belter.

I’d read loads of comments about the Five’s performance and half expected to suffer from peddle-bob and mediocre rear-end suspension performance. However, the Five rides better than my Canyon Spectral in many respects, climbs well and and the longer reach and slacker head angle are really confidence inspiring on the downs. It’s a pound and a half heavier than my spectral, but I can live with that.

I’m also looking forward to not having to replace the frame bearings 3 times a year (or if I do have to, it will be a far easier job)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which MTB Frameset? – Please advise :-)’ is closed to new replies.