Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Which mountain to climb (daughters goal this year)
  • 40mpg

My daughter has decided she wants to climb a mountain. This came as a bit of a surprise as she’s not really an outdoors type ( not for want of me trying). Anyway I’m not going to stand in her way, and hopefully we can make a great weekend of it.

We’ll probably aim for Easter weekend as its the only time we can fit it in. Also we are south coast based so Scotland a bit far, Lakes likely to be very busy, so I guess Wales is our best bet.

I’d like one which is reasonably accessible, not too technical, and scenic (she’s into photography so will be looking to get some good shots).

Any suggestions? (I would actually like to get up Snowdon one day when its not covered in cloud, haven’t managed it yet!)

kayak23

Tryfan is a nice one. It has easier routes and technical routes and a nice little summit challenge in Adam and Eve.

Right next to a road and near camp sites so access is great.

wilburt
    Free Member

If I was just going to do one mountain it’d be Ben Nevis, its a long journey but a steady walk to get to the top. You could even stop over in the lakes on you way up, Glenriding yha is handy for the road up North and half way up Helvelyn.

br
    Free Member

Start with one of the higher South Downs hills?

noltae
    Free Member

I second Tryfan …

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d go for tryfan too. Whereas some of the more obvious mountains can feel like a long walk with a gradient tryfan can actually feel like a climb, I think it gives a much better sense of achievement. Access is easy as anything and there’s plentifull accommodation either in one the two nearby campsites or just back down the road a bit at the hostel or b&b’s and hotels in Betws.

Could really make a long weekend of it, do a weekend scrambling course at plas y brenin, then with some new skills and a bit of extra confidence tackle one of the slightly more technical routes. Still nothing too hair raising but I can’t really imagine many better introductions to British mountains.

piemonster

Another vote for Tryfan, cracking hill and my favourite Welsh mountain.

Busy hill for my tastes, but it I’ve a good few treasured memories from being on that hill.

dazh

Tryfan has a definite proper mountain feel as opposed to just walking up a hill, but as a result it also has lots of opportunities for getting lost or taking the wrong path (even in clear weather) and finding yourself on technical ground where a bit of scrambling and a good head for heights is required.

My recommendation would be Cadair Idris from Minffordd. It’s a horseshoe so an easy to follow natural route, some spectacular cliffs to see but nothing technical.

40mpg

Just googled tryfan and it sounds pretty terrifying to take a teenager with no real experience up! I’m looking for some scenic hillwalking which is more a physical challenge for a layabout teen than technical challenge. Climbing or even scrambling best avoided!

Tryfan reviews seem keen to publicise the number of deaths on the mountain! Most comments relate to no obvious paths too. I’m OK with a bit of map reading but wouldn’t over rate my skills!

somouk
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do Tryfan as a first mountain, build up to it as it does involve a bit of scambling.

Start smaller and work upwards in both height and technical skills. Maybe build in some indoor rock climbing or similar to get her confident scrambling.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was going to say I think tryfan might be the wrong choice for a first hill walk.

Have a look at y garn and the glyders, stunning scenery, not too high and a nice walk.

dazh

The easiest option is the Miners or Pyg track up Snowdon from Pen y Pass. Impossible to get lost as there’ll be thousands of other people doing it too. The hardest bit is getting parked (get there early!).

If scenic hill-walking is all you’re after then have a look at the Brecon Beacons.

somouk
    Free Member

If scenic hill-walking is all you’re after then have a look at the Brecon Beacons

Do the Pen Y Fan which has a summit plate and stuff but is effectively a stroll up a big wide path, good practice for Snowdon.

saxabar
    Free Member

Llewelyn on the other side of Tryfan might be more reasonable. This can be accessed from Rachub, just above Bethesda (no worries about parking). You have the option of making a full day of it by doing the horseshoe loop or just coming back down.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Why not Pen Y Fan, the highest most Southernly mountain?

Went right past it en route to Picws Du last Monday, is epically beautiful. Mynydd Brycheiniog/Picws Du (Black Mountain) is a fantastic ascent too, up from Llyn y Fan Fach. Feels like a world away.

My first mountain was Cader Idris, the views can be amazing and a great choice of either moderate or challenging routes to the summit.

*edit! Great minds think alike, there are two Pen Y Fans 🙂

40mpg

Y Garn is sounding more like it 😀

Black mountains / Pen Y Fan is a favourite of mine for biking and Easter to get to. I know my way around there pretty well so would be an easier option, but I would be thinking bikes all the time!

jag61

have alook at moel siabod not as big/scary as tryfan but good easy scramble to the top if done from main road via farm yard can also be done from capel curig missing out any scramblin. likely to be some snow/ice about at easter?

jonba
    Free Member

There are loads to pick from. Maybe work out other factors like driving time and accommodation costs.

I love the lake district as I spent a lot of my teenage years walking, canoeing and other such things there. It is a fair drive though and prices of accommodation can be high.

Snowdon would seem the obvious choice. It is not particularly difficult or dangerous compared to some (although you need to take appropriate precautions). Also being the highest in Wales gives it a bit of Kudos (but makes it busy).

wanmankylung
    Free Member

If I was only ever going to climb one mountain in the UK it would be Buachaille Etive Mor. It is probably the most iconic mountain in country and the tourist track is incredibly easy (I helped build it too – the track, not the mountain).

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I first did Tryfan when I was 7 but my dad knew the mountain extremely well. I’d suggest Snowdon – choice of routes and good feeling of achievement.

Or the Glyders, starting from Capel?

Ambrose

Malvern Rider has it. There is even a scrambly route up if you want. And as a bonus, the walk over to Picws Du will give you another top or two. The Fan Hir ridge is nice, but Carreg yr Ogof is better for a circular walk. The western part of the Brecon Beacons N=national park is so much quieter and less frequented than many of the places mentioned above. This adds to the feel of the place but for some removes the security blanket they need with having others around.

parkesie
    Free Member

Cader idris is a good day out use the path from mynford path and its a easily doable walk.

anagallis_arvensis

Cader Idris was my first mountain too!

tillydog
    Free Member

Easter 2015 is in early April – you might do well to leave it until a bit later in the year, as there will very likely be snow and ice at the top of any 3000′ mountain in the UK – certainly Snowdon – so potentially ice-axe & crampons!

If you leave it until May, Y Garn is a good call as is Moel Siabod. Proper mountains with a proper top; straightforward, short approach, and (with Y Garn, especially) a good sense of height.

Either that, or just do Snowdon to say you’ve done it.

IMHO save Tryfan until she’s ready to enjoy it properly.

The Glyders are just flat and stony on top, so they don’t feel like I think a mountain should.

If you are gluttons for punishment, try Pen Yr Ole Wen 😉

ampthill

You are spoilt for choose really. But I think it should not be physically to demanding as we are presumably hoping she’ll ask again

Suggestions include

Cat Bells. Really easy but really exciting. Done it so often with so many people and it gives so much for the effort. I’d start in Keswick and get the boat across as its even more of an adventure. If she jogs to the top in 30 minutes then just carry on up the ridge to add more

The lakes is full of great Peaks but the langdale Pikes aren’t that big and the Old Man of Coniston is achievable

In North Wales we really enjoyed Cnicht which is a Catbells like classic

Or the less well known Mynydd Mawr which had brilliant views on the way up

IMHO the Mountains of South Wales never did it for me in my teenage years

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tryfan is not a good choice for first mountain – due respect to others that have suggested it – I’m not great with heights and it’s not one I fancy.

Snowden is a good choice for a first mountain, it will be busy at the top and there is a cafe which has pros and cons, not really “wild”. A few straightforward routes inc Lanberis path or more interesting Pygg Trail and Miners Path (up one down the other). As above Pen Y Fan is accessible and you can take some good routes up all fairly easy. So many great choices in the Lakes but I suggest you leave those as a “carrot” if she enjoys the first walk.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did Tryfan easily on my first go, and I thought it was an interesting route. However, I’m capable, confident and fit. My wife didn’t much enjoy it for her first go.. especially the bit where you have to climb down into a gulley with a rather lofty viewpoint.

It would be suitable for SOME first timers, but not your daughter by the sound of it!

You could try Cadair Idris perhaps. Very scenic, and the main route is mostly rideable on the bike (down) so should be doable on foot whilst still feeling like a challenge. Quite a lot of effort for the unfit though.

A smaller mountain is Moel Siabod – only a little clambering involved. It was where we used to go in school for a first timers outing.

slowoldman

I was going to say I think tryfan might be the wrong choice for a first hill walk.

I’ve taken first timers up the North Ridge (there are plenty of alternatives around any technical bits) but I know my way around. The route up from Bwlch Tryfan is pretty much a walk and there is no exposure to speak of but it is a great mountain to be on.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Y Garn and Moel Siabod agreed.

But go for the drive and Blencathra via halls fell

Nipper99
    Free Member

The Rhinogs (peaks in the s. or n. end), The Arrans (the ridge), The Berwens, Cadir Idris. If you are set on Snowdonia then go for the Nanttle Ridge as a there and back – one of my favorite days out.

I really would not go for Tryfan.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, the tiny (roofed) stone mountain refuge on Cadair Idris has always afforded us a welcome breather – everything from baking sun to horizontal winds and rain (even rain going upwards!) – that is a definite plus point if you want a (even if normally damp) sit and a cuppa out of the elements, and often a breezy chinwag with other walkers. Being essentially coastal it does seem to have very changeable weather, which can add to the adventure and draw on safety/endurance skills. Last ascent I managed to roll six inches of skin off my shin during a stupid slip on a sharply-stepped rock – so the refuge came in handy to assess and carefully re-dress the wound away from the winds.

mogrim

Bit further afield, but how about Mount Teide?

slowoldman

Easter 2015 is in early April – you might do well to leave it until a bit later in the year, as there will very likely be snow and ice at the top of any 3000′ mountain in the UK – certainly Snowdon – so potentially ice-axe & crampons!

That is a fair point. I think my last two out of three Easter trips to Snowdonia have been full on winter conditions. It is a lottery though.

chakaping
    Free Member

tryfan was my first mountain too actually, didn’t put me off but it did one of my mates – he wouldn’t do any more hills with us after that

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Like others have said, Tryfan is a great mountain, but possibly a bit too much for a first timer without guidance. I’d probably agree with Moel Siabod ridge, Cnicht or alternative ways up Snowden as being challenges which finish on what appear to be ‘proper’ mountain summits. The advantage with Snowden is that if she wants to tell people about her challenge, they might have heard of it, might actually be impressed, which might motivate her to really go for it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Black Mountain (Mynydd Du) last Monday, looking at Fan Brycheiniog (2,631ft). There were a good number of families tackling the Western approach and the snow was seemingly no bother, although it was only half an inch thick. My first ever visit and it was a hit. Wild and quite stunningly beautiful.

AlasdairMc

If I was doing one mountain and I lived in the South coast, I’d do Ben Nevis but travel up on the Caledonian Sleeper. Leave London in the evening and you’re in Fort William for 10am. You could get the Ben done before getting the return train at 7pm, or stay up longer and do some of the nicer hills in the area too.

Easter too early though, there will be a good snow cover up top until late spring (although a patch remains year round too)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Snowdon sounds ideal to me. Nice scenery, easy walk, and it’s the biggest mountain in England. Got to be more appealing as a goal to some one not outdoorsy, rather than a hill they haven’t heard of.

Just go early in the morning to avoid the crowds.

globalti
    Free Member

Yet another vote for Tryfan. It’s a great scramble with no walk-in and not dangerous and the views are spectacular. If you go down through Cwm Idwal The route off the summit is easy and gentle for a non-mountaineer and you finish at the tea shop. You don’t need route-finding skills, you just start at the road and follow the ridge up to the summit and down the other side. In cloud it could be a little daunting but in clear weather it’s easy. There is no “trail” to follow because it’s all rock and there are numerous ways up it.

If you don’t like the idea of easy scrambling (so enjoyable though!) I’d recommend Moel Siabod as a nice easy walk. Snowdon is too big for someone with no mountain fitness, she will be intimidated and absolutely knackered.

ampthill

Snowdon sounds ideal to me. Nice scenery, easy walk, and it’s the biggest mountain in England.

🙄

Yet another vote for Tryfan. It’s a great scramble with no walk-in and not dangerous

I’m sure the local mountain rescue will thank you for promoting it as such

link

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Which mountain to climb (daughters goal this year)’ is closed to new replies.