Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which motorbike chain tool?
  • iolo
    Free Member

For both splitting and riveting back together? Not too expensive but I need one that works ok.
    Any suggestions?

mattsccm
    Free Member

2 choices. 1. If its a big road bike grey a shop to do it with an expensive tool that’s not worth buying for home use for the occasional times you use it. 2. Angle grinder to split it and joining link as in traditional bike chain. Fine for off road type bikes, where you may well be rremoving the chain regularly, or smaller road bikes. Say 50 bhp or there about limit.
    To be honest they work well any where but many people get sniffy if its suggested on their superbike.

alexxx
    Free Member

I’m thinking of replacing my chain and sprocket just because I’ve had it a few years and done about 6k.. it hasn’t even needed tightening in that time though (which I think is kinda weird). So for peace of mind I think I’ll change it.

Any recommendations of brands? It’s going on a sv650

Murray

I’ve got one in my garage you can have for free – think it’s a Whale. No motorbike anymore, so no use to me.

I live in Amersham and work in Northampton.

allthegear
    Free Member

6k? Chain on my XR has done 15k and only had one adjustment so far. Does it actually need replacing??

edit – (wish tyres lasted as long…)

Rachel

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

If it hasn’t loosened/stretched, and when you rotate the rear wheel, there are no tight spots, then why change it? An SV650 simply by being a twin, is a little harder on chains than an equivilent il4.

It’ll let you know when the chains knackered anyway, you’ll feel when it starts to get loose through he pegs with a mild grinding sensation anyway, and you’ll see it “sag”, when parked. If it’s done 6k, you’ll be lucky to get 20k out of a chain on an SV anyway, so you’ll be changing it sooner rather than later, if you do 1k miles a month like I do.

And don’t forget, when you change the chain, not changing the sprockets is a false economy. ONly time I did this, it literally halved the length of the life of the new chain. Unless you’re a handy diy’er, get the chain and sprockets both done together, when you have a service due anyway. And do join sv650.org – thats a great forum for sv owners.

iolo
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Murray but I’m in Austria. My bike just got an MOT and the advisory said the chain is just on the limit. It’s done 20,000 km so I need to replace mine definitely.

alexxx
    Free Member

Mines done 12k (miles) in total but 6ish in my ownership. I only do 2k a year on average as it’s just a toy.

Murray if that tool is going – Can I give you some money for postage of it? email in profile if thats cool!

Thanks

porter_jamie

Whale

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You need the right tool for the type of chain you are planning to use. Tsubaki chains for example use a four sided rivet thingy.

I know of drag bikes that make over 1000hp that use split links, wouldn’t bother me using one on a road bike.

superfli
    Free Member

I borrowed my mates expensive did chain link breaker once. Broke the bloody thing! Had to replace it and then just used an angle grinder. Too scared to use it again!

br
    Free Member

I’m thinking of replacing my chain and sprocket just because I’ve had it a few years and done about 6k.. it hasn’t even needed tightening in that time though (which I think is kinda weird). So for peace of mind I think I’ll change it.[/I]

FWIW (just looking back at the records), my zx9r ran 20k on it’s first chain & spockets, 19k on its’ second set and then the third set lasted passed 15k when I got rid of it. My 1050 Triumph did 20k on it’s first set, in a year.

Northwind

That’s dismal mileage from an SV chain, it’s a 525 section handling only like 65 real bhp… Add a scotoiler maybe? I put 55000 miles on mine through scottish winters and trackdays and everything inbetween, on 2 chains… Just ran engine oil diluted with paraffin in the oiler mostly, worked a charm.

I love doing stuff myself- I mean, I have the tool you need to remove an SV’s flywheel ffs, who has one of those? But I never got a chain tool, I just split linked it then got it riveted next time I was at a dealership.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which motorbike chain tool?’ is closed to new replies.