Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • which modern fork for 2006 5 spot?
  • flip456
    Free Member

Since my Rockshox U turn pikes died a horrible death i’ve been looking for replacements but can’t make up my mind, so thought i’d ask the collective for advice 🙂
    I think my 5 spot was designed around a 130mm travel fork but was wondering if 10mm either way would be ok? The reason being, I’m more a wheels on the ground kind of rider and the old pike was a bit over kill for the 2-3 foot drops i’d rarely encounter.
    I’m currently looking at some rockshox reba rl 120mm or some revelation rl 150mm (then reducing travel) these will both drop a chunk of weight but I’m also drawn to some sektor dual position coils as well, hum.
    Also been trawling through fleabay but no finding much with a long, straight steerer with 15 or 20mm axle.
    If it helps, my local riding is woodsy singletrack, dark peak and welsh trail center trips.
    So, older frame riders, what modern forks are you running?
    Cheers.

cb

I have a 2005 with 2008 Talas. However, I would like to stick some old coil vans on there as well as the ancient Romic I have in the garage!!

If modern is a requirement then I’d be tempted to get the Sektor coils when they are being sold off cheap – as they often seem to be.

chip
    Free Member

Revelation 140 rct3,
    I have one on my hardtail and one box fresh to go on my 2010 five when I get round to it.

Crc were best priced last month when I bought my last one.

Great fork, more capable than I will ever be and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattbee

My ’05 felt really nice with a set of X Fusion Velvet set at 130mm on it.

MartynS

I had fox floats on my 2004 5spot (might have been 2003) they were fine at 150mm
    Had a fox vanilla on the back. Miss that bike, it broke!!

flip456
    Free Member

Thanks for info guys, i’ve been mulling things over and reading as many reviews as i can find.
    I like the idea of the sektor dual position fork but i’ve read some reports of the dpc version failing anyone suffered from this?
    Being a lard ass, (85kg) i’d need a stiffer spring to add into the purchase, which will then bring the spend up to revelation territory, well nearly. How do the mordern rockshox air forks compare to those from say 5 – 6 yrs ago? I was never really impressed with the harsh feel of my old pikes compared to some coil vans I used to run. Maybe it was just me, but after much tinkering I couldn’t find a setting I was happy with.
    Finally, I’ve read that it’s possible to retro-fit u-turn components to sektors, anyone know if I could salvage these from my old pikes and use them.
    Cheers

flip456
    Free Member

just seen those, steerer is too short i’m afraid 🙁

Matt_SS_xc

I have 150mm sektor solo airs on my 2005 5spot. It’s great, had them on for 2 years and really happy with them. Got them pretty cheap at merlincycles…..

flip456
    Free Member

Matt, does it climb ok with 150mm forks, not too wandery?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘which modern fork for 2006 5 spot?’ is closed to new replies.