Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • which maxxis?
  • hooja
    Free Member

Cant decide, thought it would be good to get some feedback on what others are running.
    At the moment i am toying with Ardent up front and aspen out back!
    Its for a 140mm steel hardtail and will be used on a little bit of this and a little bit of that in all weathers.
    So… what you all running and how you finding them?
    a cheers

PJM1974
    Free Member

Tubeless Ardents all round on a 150mm full suss and I really rate them. Corner bite isn't outstanding (natch) but they roll extremely well.

warpcow
    Free Member

I've got a 2.25 Ardent up front and 2.25 ADvantage on the back. Best combination I've found for a while. They roll fast enough for me but the grip is excellent. You do have to lean them over a bit to get to the side knobs; there's an inbetween bit where it feels like they're losing it for a split second, then they hook up again. It's not scary, just makes you ride a little more aggressively.

I could probably get away with something smoother on the back in the current weather but I'm lazy and poor.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

2.4 Ardent front,2.4 Advantage rear.
    2.25 Ardent and 2.1 Crossmark rear if I want something lighter.
    On a blue pig

hooja
    Free Member

cheers all,
    seems like the advantage is getting the vote for the rear? anyone looked at the aspen?
    Its so bloody complicated these days, too many bloody tyres on the market. Espeacially if you dont want to buy/swap tyres everytime the weather changes.

uplink
    Free Member

High Roller/ADvantage has worked well for me
    I've now put a Small Block 8 on to replace the ADvantage

RestlessNative
    Free Member

2.35 high roller front, 2.1 advantage rear basically too lazy to change them but sometimes put a crossmark on the back

I did try an Ardent up front and it was good but I couldn't help always thinking that the high roller just had loads more cornering and braking grip and considering I aint racing isn't really terribly slow on the front anyway

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

I have a pair of Aspens but it's often muddy and a little rocky(welsh hills) so only use on the driest of days.
    I changed to the 2.4's and heavier tubes after lots of flats with the skinnier tyres

hooja
    Free Member

Similar conditions here too (cornwall) often wet and very often greasy and then claggy on the moors, maybe the aspens arent for the job then!

stompy

2.35 high roller front, 2.1 advantage rear basically too lazy to change them but sometimes put a crossmark on the back

Same here minus the crossmark, am far to lazy to be changing tyres……….

ashfanman
    Free Member

Worth considering a single-ply 2.35" Minion DHF if you want a bit more grip for the front, and a 2.1" Larsen TT if you want less rolling resistance at the back.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘which maxxis?’ is closed to new replies.