Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which massive light for around £100..
  • nsdog
    Free Member

So looking at getting a new light, I have a 900 lumens dx bastid that was last years fashion, and I would like a bit more to augment it. I’m planning on putting the bastid on my head and a new one on the bars. Who has tried any of these below and which would you choose.
    Based on quoted lumens I would take the ninja light,as a comparison I like the look of the MJ880, but then everyone raves about the mj872… Oh what to do..

danny ninjas light or the competing magicshine mj880 or maybe the less overkill mj872

z1ppy

I had made a quick thread about these choices the other week, though my m8 has still to make a decision. You both need to sort this out quick it the shortest day in a couple of days. 😉

I think in terms of output Neninja’s is the most powerful, but as with the MJ-880 I’d really like to see one in action before spending that sort of money. Especially as you could buy two separate XM-L (std T6’s though not Danny’s U2’s) lights a lot cheaper… though even just a single XM-L supplemented by you P7 would work.
    edit: [these are currently out of stock] Also take a look at on-ones twin XML offering, may not be as polished as these others but you get UK support…

It does have to be said, the MJ-872 is an immense light, though I’d still be tempted by Danny’s unit… aggghhhh!
    Have I helped any? :mrgreen:

organic355
    Free Member

do the MJ880 or 872 come with a case (for handlebar/stem mounting) for the battery and is it waterproof?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

MJ-872 off ebay are seemingly coming with the MJ-828 battery, I’ve had one of these 6 months and it show no signs of water ingress. It come with a Velcro strap, though I’ve added a piece of foam to sit between the battery case and my frame
    Though Magicshine UK are shipping them with the newer bigger capacity (better sealed) MJ-6010 battery
    See:
    http://magicshine.co.uk/batteries.html

Northwind

What I found was that with an 872 on the bars, my old P7 and newer XML head lights were pretty pointless- I got better results with just the 872 on the head. The P7’s still slightly useful on the bars as a spare/infil light.

So that’d be my suggestion- old light on bars, 872 on head, since the dual P7 lights don’t seem like ideal helmet lights (though I could be wrong there).

Cheezpleez

I’m running an 872 on the bars with an XML torch on my helmet. Total cost: £110. It’s a great set-up. The 872 gives loads of flood and the XML just adds a bit of punch for fast sections or twisty bits. The 872 battery came in a rubber covering with a bag and velcro attachment. It’s been out in all weathers with no probs so far. Loads of light for 3-hour plus rides.

neninja
    Free Member

z1ppy – the Inton 2 x XML U2 lights are now back in stock and are now available with a solid handlebar mount as well as the O-ring style mount.

The solid bar mount has a simple ratchet for side to side adjustment (hence why it looks like it’s pointing the wrong way in the picture).

alfabus
    Free Member

10% off at magicshineuk right now… they emailed me a code: XMAS2011

rocketman
    Free Member

Just to re-iterate what everyone else has said the MJ-872 is pretty good at lighting up the woods in an uncontrolled nuclear explosion kind of way.

Got mine a while back from magicshineuk with an Open Light battery (some useful info on their website). No problems despite frequent intense neglect. I though it would be a bit Michael Mouse compared to my Lumicycles but it’s not.

organic355
    Free Member

So what did the OP go for then? I am after one of these MJ-872 but not ure where to get it from:

http://www.magicshinedirect.co.uk/?gclid=COLv-Lnbl60CFYuIfAod8UKRng has it for £94.99

whereas here http://www.magicshinebikelights.co.uk/front-bike-lights/mj-872-1600-lumen-bike-light.php?ca=84 its £125++??

here its only £93 http://www.lightslightslights.co.uk/Magicshine-Lights/Magicshine-MJ-872

here £118 http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/Front-Bike-Light-Magicshine-MJ-872-LSET

So why the huge price difference for the same light?

vancoughcough
    Free Member

That Inton looks nice… but can’t help think that 2 x cheap £35 ebay XML’s offers better value. You can after all angle the two seperate lightheads.. a major drawback of the Inton.

It wouldn’t weigh much more.

I have an anonymous D Bin P7, a Magicshinbe P7 C Bin, a Bike Ray II D Bin, and a Magicshine 3 x XPG. I am still a fan of the P7, especially the D Bin. The 3 x XPG Magicshine offers more flood than the P7 but I still prefer the D Bin P7… I have never tried an XML..

robsoctane
    Free Member

I have the MJ827 and see no reason to bother trying other lights… It is that good, battery is totally waterproof too.

The only down side to this system is the different colours that the head unit display, or rather their timing. Obviously it’s a good idea to have the back of the head unit (facing you) to go from green to blue to yellow then red – BUT – the green only lasts about 5 minutes. The colours swap rapidly and you really feel like the light is on it’s way out, not true though. They’re just set up to change too quickly. The light can last on full for over an hour (well over) and it can easily do 3 hours no problems. I can’t grumble at that.

neninja
    Free Member

vcc- you can’t change the angle on the 4 XPG’s in an 872 in the same as the 2 U2’s in the Inton.

If you saw the size of the hotspot and flood in practise you’d see you really don’t need to. I’ve got a single T6 light and it’s focussed into a really tight beam. By comparison the 2 x U2 Inton has a massive spread at the hotspot and flood. I’ll do a wall test tonight to try and demonstrate.

scaredypants

was out last night and my mate has 2 smudgelights – they seem properly “enough” to me. I kept checking mine to see if they’d set to dim or gone out

… all fields … happier times … jumpers for goalposts … spare the rod, …

onandon
    Free Member

neninja.
    Did you manage to do the comparison ?

Im after either an MJ880 or an Inton U2 and having difficulty obtaining photos /video as reference.

Cheers

torchythebatteryboy
    Free Member

Re: Magicshine MJ-880
    Mine arrived Christmas Eve. Will get out to play in the next couple of days.

First impressions:

A lot smaller than expected, looks really cool.
    Separate up/down buttons for power.
    Gets REALLY hot even using a fan to cool it. Doesn’t step down the power as the MJ-872 does. Is this good or bad? Less annoying, but may result in damage.
    Only 2hrs 50min run time – expected more.
    Still only 180 days warranty on the battery and charger – expected more.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Hmm perhaps I failed to consider the lenses of the inton? Are they different?

The Inton does look nice, but I have too many lights already!

onandon
    Free Member

Torchy.
    How does the MJ-880 get on against the Inton ?
    any input would be appreciated

aidso
    Free Member

Is the battery pack on the Mj-880 not massive with there being 6 cells in it? I think the head lamp looks awesome but the IMO the MJ-828 battery is already quite heavy with only 4 cells in it.

phil56

I have Neninja’s light – and I am thrilled to bits with it.
    On clear nights like we have at the moment I have on it’s lowest setting (it has three) and that is more than enough.

The solid bar mount has a simple ratchet for side to side adjustment (hence why it looks like it’s pointing the wrong way in the picture).

What size is this new mount? I have the Hope one we discussed, but I would like one for older style bars – would that work?

z1ppy

Aidso, thany your lucky stars you weren’t night riding when Ni-Cad batteries were they only option. 😉

Just for reference: My MJ-828 battery pack weighs: 350g & my previous basic Magicshine 4 cell battery weighs: 225g. My friend has just got hold of Neninja Inton light, and it come in a soft pack (better sealing than the originals), which I’d suggest weighs no more than the MJ-828 (not weighed it so can’t tell for sure).

neninja
    Free Member

The Inton 11Ah battery pack weighs 354g including the soft case vs. 348g for the hard plastic Magicshine MJ828 4.4AH battery pack (just weighed back to back on a set of digital scales so basically not a lot in it)

What size is this new mount? I have the Hope one we discussed, but I would like one for older style bars – would that work?

The mount I’m now supplying with the lights is the Magiclight mount which has a rubber shim to fit smaller bars (as a previous purchaser I could supply one for £12).

The mounts I got from Inton turned out to only fit 25.8 and road bars – you can have one for free if you want one. Swapping over would involve unscrewing the light from the Hope mount when you want to use the other one. The Hope mount comes with different thickness rubber inserts for narrow bars doesn’t it?

frankoid
    Free Member

Bought the Inton light from neninja (fasterbydesign.co.uk) a few months ago. Was really happy with it but it stopped working completely a couple of weeks ago and I’m having difficulty getting in touch to arrange a replacement or repair. I’ve emailed twice (first time 8 days ago) and just tried to phone (got answer phone).

neninja, please can you get in touch with me so that we can get my light sorted.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which massive light for around £100..’ is closed to new replies.