Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • which lube for suspension forks ? ..after ride squirt stuff!!
  • kaiser
    Free Member

always used teflon finish line stuff. Anything better/cheaper?

Wally

I use fork oil + paintbrush in a pasta sauce jar.
    Paint a thin layer on , cycle up and down, wipe away any grit at tide mark, slight repaint and leave. It is important to use a good quality pasta jar.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use finish line stanchion lube. Fantastic stuff but you have to get it from the states.

grumm
    Free Member

Think TFTuned recommend finish line green chain lube, and they would know surely.

bomberman
    Free Member

any teflon based dry lube?

allyharp

Think TFTuned recommend finish line green chain lube, and they would know surely.

Brilliant. That’s what I’ve been using (admittedly rather infrequently) just because it’s all I have lying around.

kaiser
    Free Member

By green lube……do you mean the cross country wet lube with the green cap?
    In the past I’d always used the dry teflon lube.

grumm
    Free Member

Actually it doesn’t specify finish line… EDIT: is it just the dry that has teflon in it?

It’s pretty mucky out there at the moment so now’s the time to give your fork a little love after your ride.
    You know how is is … you get in from a ride, quickly wash the bike and then it’s time for a cup of tea. Whilst you’re supping your tea you remember to lube the chain otherwise it will be a stiff, rusty mess the next time you go to ride. Well, whilst your lubing your chain with that sweet Teflon-enriched oil, just put a couple of drops on your fork’s upper tubes. Push them up and down a few times then wipe off the excess oil complete with the dirt lifted from the wiper seal lip with a clean rag. So, next time you ride, both your chain and your fork will be silky smooth before you hit the first puddle!

http://www.tftunedshox.com/faq/view/tech-tips/lube-it-up/97.html

jonb
    Free Member

I use whatever winter lube I have. Which was the green lidded finish line stuff. Now I use something pink (Fenicks?)

druidh
    Free Member

I just use any fork oil.

kaiser
    Free Member

I was cautious as I thought certain chemicals damaged the seals or caused swelling etc.

druidh
    Free Member

kaiser – Member

I was cautious as I thought certain chemicals damaged the seals or caused swelling etc.

I assumed that fork oil was going to be the least likely to damage the seals… 🙄

AndyPaice
    Free Member

never ever done that, and my forks are fine after 4 years regular riding. But then that’s the good thing about 2005 marzocchis 🙂

twohats
    Free Member

I assumed that fork oil was going to be the least likely to damage the seals…

Some has seal swelling additives, best avoided though…

molgrips
    Free Member

I use mid-weight lube like White Lightening Epic. Seems to be the best – I’ve tried about everything in the garage.

druidh
    Free Member

twohats – Member

I assumed that fork oil was going to be the least likely to damage the seals…

Some has seal swelling additives, best avoided though…

Surely the fork seals get “oiled” on the inside anyway?

jimthesaint

Most fork outer ‘seals’ aren’t actually seals as they are not sealing anything in, they are used more as ‘scrapers’ keeping the muck away from the proper seals.

If you want to be pedantic about it the best you can do is use a plastic tooth pick to slightly prise the seal away from the stanchion and move it around the seal while putting some thin teflon lube in the gap and then working the fork up and down. Make sure you wipe away any excess lube as it will only collect dirt.

uplink
    Free Member

I just have a sponge loaded with Manitou Prep M [coz I had some lying around]

I just wipe over the stanchions & shock shaft with it, bounce it up & down a couple of times & then wipe off any crud that’s been pushed up off the dust seal.

markcdo
    Free Member

Motorex “Semi-bath” stuff, bottle cost about £5 couple of years ago, apply a couple of drops after each ride, cycle forks up and down, wipe of excess keeps ’em sweet – lasts forever too.

But that finish line stuff prob just as good !!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘which lube for suspension forks ? ..after ride squirt stuff!!’ is closed to new replies.