Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • which long travel Ti frame.
  • jfb01
    Free Member

The recent Ti bike thread has seriously tempted me to sell the full suss & get a Ti hard tail ,26″ wheels,140mm travel forks compatible.
    The 3 frames I really like are Brodie Holeshot, Pipe Dream & Stanton.
    Anyone had any experience of these or any suggestions.

br
    Free Member

No, but had a 456Ti for 4 years now, after a 6″ FS. Love it.

MadPierre

Love my Brodie Ti Holeshot. Ride it more than any of my other (bouncy) bikes.

Main reasons I chose it (as upgrade from Cove Stiffee):
    Geometry is bang on.
    Has an ISCG mount for 1×10 with chain device
    Seat tube right diameter for reverb
    looks
    Ti (obviously!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    heihei

Stanton not available yet so unlikely you’ll get views on it unless someone’s ridden the prototype.

Would add to the list Ti 456 (owned and liked a lot), Ragley (ridden a few times and just as good), Cove (not ridden), and Kingdom Foia (also not ridden).

MadPierre

When I chose my Brodie:

Stanton and Pipe Dream weren’t options
    Cove was ruled out due to seatpost diameter and no ISCG
    Ti 456 ruled out due to non-availability (always like rocking horse poo unless a container full has just landed)
    Ragley was designed around a shorter fork than I wanted
    Kingdom wasn’t available

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve never broken a Ti frame… but I’ve never owned one.

I keep looking at those Brodie’s and I’ve nearly bitten a couple of times. The only logical reasons I haven’t bought one are that I want to stick with 1.5″ steerer forks (or go taper; I’m not going back to 1-1/8″), and if I was spending that much I want it to be able to take a full 160mm fork like my Troof did. I still love the look of the Holeshot though and if I was happy with a 140mm fork and 1-1/8″ I would probably be an owner.

On-One and Ragley both 1-1/8 steerer and designed for shorter forks and hae no ISCG – old on-one 456 geometry not so clever with long forks (IMHO etc).

Pipedream – I don’t see anything there that interests me. Geometry looks like an old skool XC bike with a long fork shoved on the front (see also Whyte 19 Ti).

New On-One 456 Ti EVO is due shortly and should be of interest – there is a thread on here about it somewhere with some pictures (usual love/hate looks).

Kingdom are working on something to replace the Foia which should be very interesting… but probably not as cheap as On-One etc.

Stanton – get these rave reviews but when I look at the geometry I don’t see anything different to what others are offering. Not to say they are not “brilliant” but I just don’t see how the geometry can work with all the fork lengths they say it does… in the same way that long forks mess up many a hardtail frame geometry IMHO/IMHE etc.

So… buy the Brodie (if you can find one) or wait to see more of the On-One EVO, Stanton and Kingdom.

saxabar
    Free Member

I’ve a Brodie too (having had a Stiffee), although at present it’s covered in mud and very unphotogenic. Mine has a Float 36 lowered to 140 which is perfect. The XTR on Mad Pierre’s looks outstanding. Hmm.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I had a ti hardtail (Lynskey) for a bit and went back to steel, as it was just too flexy when you pushed it. Obviously other ti frames might be stiffer, and you might like a bit of twang… but it didn’t suit me, that’s all.

Northwind

I haven’t ridden them all, there might be something better…

If you can find a Ragley Ti, they are superb. Great descenders as you’d expect from the modern geometry but unexpectedly mine also turned out to be the best technical climber I’ve ever ridden. And decent at sit-and-spin, though not as good as some. It’s bloody brilliant. But yes damn well ought to have ISCG mounts.

The Ti456, well… First thing to say is, you can get a similiar result for £300 from the plastic one, but it will be fugly and not titanium. The trouble with the Ti is you’re paying superbike prices for not-very-super 456 geometry. I’d be interested to try the Evo though.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I really wanted one of those Brodies but couldn’t get an xl without a long wait so I ordered an almost perfect copy but with a tapered headtube and wishbone stays from Enigma who then messed me around until I cancelled.

A year and 2 AM full sussers later I wish I’d just waited for the Brodie.

jfb01
    Free Member

Brilliant feed back,thanks guys.I think the Brodie is the favorite, but I will research the Ragley & On one Evo.Not heard of Kingdom ,so will look that up too,
    Not bothered about steerer tube size but it must have clearance for 2.4 tyres & mud.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘which long travel Ti frame.’ is closed to new replies.