Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which long distance road bike? Head vs Heart
  • garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Head says Giant Defy Advanced. Heart says Van Nicholas Zephyr. Anyone got experience of these bikes? Thanks

aracer
    Free Member

Go with your heart. Your head is assuming differences which are likely to be negligible – you’ll be far happier riding the one you love.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Defy with discs. Discs are just betterer.

Or, more importantly, test ride. Then decide.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

I’ve been mooning about ever scince I saw the Van Nicholas frame in my lbs. last time I felt like this I was a teenager. 😳

scotroutes

The Zephyr is the stiffest thing Van Nicholas make. For long distance you might prefer the comfort of an Amazon (and it has disks).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Your heart could be falling for ideas/differences that are meaningless – especially if you are buying off of catalogues and reviews.

Colleague has a zephyr, says it’s v comfy. I enjoyed my ride on a Defy Advanced.

I’d test ride both.

EDIT

scotroutes – Member
    The Zephyr is the stiffest thing Van Nicholas make. For long distance you might prefer the comfort of an Amazon (and it has disks).

Really? Stiffness is all about tubing diameter. It’s bigger on the Zephyr?

EDIT II no, it’s not.

scotroutes

Ah – confusing it with the Astreus

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Yes – the Astreus had the new fangled tube shapes and new fangled price to match. Want something a bit less agressive. The Zephyr looks stunning. I can get 25% discount with a retailer that stocks Giant though. Defy with disc brakes seems to be highly thought of and at 25% off this would seem to make a lot of sense. Live a love sick teen I will most likely go for the shiny shiny ti though.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

The best long distance bike is one you can ride for 17 hours and get off and feel fine for it apart from a bit tired.

My current favourite is a genesis equilibrium ti disc as ot is just lovely bit so are all my bikes because they fit me perfectly. So thats the trick make sure the bike fits you well or can with a few minor adjustments. A test ride willkind of show you that but it will have to be a lomg one. A good shop will be able to advise properly.

Disc are great so definatley look at bikes equipped with tektro spyre or hyrd brakes or the shimano hydraulic system.

scaredypants

I have a ti airborne cx frame as a rainy-day road bike

everybody who rides it (OK, “both people” 😳 ) says that it feels lovely

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which long distance road bike? Head vs Heart’ is closed to new replies.