Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which lock-on grips for carbon bar?
  • granny_ring

Assume it’s safe to use these on carbon bars with careful tightening….? Are ODIs still the ones….

TIA

votchy
    Free Member

Lock-ons on carbon bars are fine

SamB
    Free Member

As above, lock-ons are fine but be aware you have to use the ODI-supplied collars (as these tighten the collars *around* the bars).

If you use ones which tighten by driving a grub screw into the bars then you’ll cut into and deform the carbon fibre.

Good: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40450
    Bad: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39599

Northwind

Also remember not all carbon bars are happy with it- Easton recommend no lockon grips or barends on the Monkeylite SL IIRC, for one example.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Not had a problem with (SSC or Odi’s) – just don’t do them mega tight and you’ll be fine! BTW I am using monkey lite carbon bars!

tazzymtb

why lock on’s?

is it due to a particular preference for a grip design?

I use silly light bonty KCNC or similar foam grips, with a wee bit of puncture repair cement and they won’t move a mm even if you jump all over them, and they’ll save you over well over 100g (if that’s important to you) 😀

granny_ring

Got some new monkeylites to fit so thought I’d try some lockons but I’ll read the small print before I do now!
    Thanks

richen987
    Free Member

i have been using monkeylites and lock-ons for well over a year now, did not realise that you could not use lock-ons, oops, still no issues so far and they were a second hand off a friend who had been using lock-ons, so at least 3 years use all in, bar looked fine when i swapped grips a month ago. hope that helps

Northwind

Oh, should have been clearer, it’s only the monkeylite SL, standard monkeylite is fine. Though saying that, a wee look at the easton website suggests they might have changed even that now- my monkeylite manual says no lock ons but the new bulletin on the site says it’s OK.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which lock-on grips for carbon bar?’ is closed to new replies.