Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which lightweight tent?
  • jaylaz73

Which lightweight 1 to 2 man tent for bike and bivvy adventures? Already have a bivvy bag that I use but fancy a lightweight tent too for extended trips. What do you recommend?

ivnickkate
    Free Member

depends on budget, but here’s a couple of links to get you started, http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/ or a gelert solo http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Solo-One-Man-Tent/dp/B00322QRQE

sandwicheater

+1 for terra nova, excellent tents. Our one has been all over the world and going strong.

Waderider
    Free Member

Hilleberg, otherwise you are getting second best.

Basil

Terra Nova Laser Comp (The one with two doors)
    Excellent at 1.2 kg. Throw away the pegs it comes with.
    Use by myself and have room to spend time in the tent, rather than “one” man tents which are coffin like in size.

MSP

tarptent if you want something a decent size and still lightweight. A lot of the supposed lightweight tents achieve their goals by being tiny, may as well be in a bivy.

jameso

I have an easton kilo 1-man, proper tent for 850g, but still unused (used a 2-man for a trip last yr but a snorer meant I used the tarp!)
    This looks great though – Alpkit delta – 800g 2-man any more than a kilo and it starts to add up. Tarp-tents seem like a good compromise too but not something I have experience with – the writer of the bearbones site does tho, some useful writeups on that blog.

kristoff
    Free Member

A lot will depend where you’re intending to go and what conditions you’re expecting.

If its purely for British spring/summer time then a bivvy bag and tarp will be more than adequate.

If not personally I’d be looking at something along these lines..Vango Mirage

boblo
    Free Member

Really depends how much time you’re going to spend in it and what it will be used for. Elite Adventure Racing? The lightest/smallest tent on the planet (probably Laser Photon). For ‘normal’ solo backpacking (2-3 nighters) for 1, the Laser Comp is perfect.

However, the Lasers (and Akto) are a bit small for extended multi night use. I’ve used my Laser for many multi night backpacking trips and for real extended use prefer something else.

Last year, I bought a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 when on tour in the US when I found my Tadpole had sprung a leak. They are not much heavier than the Laser Comp but you can live in them day after day comfortably. The even lighter range is the Flycreek which I would have prefered but couldn’t get when I needed to buy. It will take 2 with more room to share/spare than the Laser.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 FTW. Don’t get the UL1, it’s as small as a Laser and there’s not much point as you might as well just buy a Laser.

djflexure

Got the Alpkit for exactly what you describe and has been perfect so far.

tinribz
    Free Member

Vaude power ferret ultralight ticks all the boxes for me, <2kg, quick pitch with inner, roomy and and front entrance. But so does a Vango Blade 200 from go outdoors at 1/4 of the price.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Some good recommendations but I would go for Hilleberg. Remember cheap lightweight tents don’t last, however a Hilleberg will.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which lightweight tent?’ is closed to new replies.