Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Which lightweight road wheels?
  • scotia
    Free Member

I currently have my mtb Hope hubs built onto mavic open sports.. and im wondering what is good nowadays to use for lightweight – i’ll keep these ones for the commute..

im not keen on the factory built ones, but could be persuaded!

I weigh 62kg so i can go light..

Joxster
    Free Member

Shimano or Campag?

And budget?

Gary_M
    Free Member

How much money do you have to spend?

scotia
    Free Member

Ah sorry, likley shimano. Bugdet…up to 1k

Joxster
    Free Member

Is it just regular riding or racing, are you looking for bling, do you want carbon? I’m guessing that you want clinchers/tyres and not tubs

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well I know you said you weren’t keen on factory wheels but I recently got a set of mavic ksyrium sl premiums and they are absolutely amazing – light, stiff, quick to accelerate, stay true, etc. It was really a toss up between these and the dura ace wheels but just wasn’t 100% sure I wanted shimano wheels at that sort of money.

scotia
    Free Member

regular riding, but climbing alot – i live in switzerland…not looking for bling per se, good quality most. Was looking at DT swiss but i forget the number, about 400 per wheel.

Clinchers, and pref no aero profiles. i like classic styles.

Joxster
    Free Member

You could go for something like this

Tune Wheels

But I would be inclined to go for Fulcrum Racing Zeros

Racing Zeros

Or the Mavic Ksyriums, I wouldn’t touch shimano wheels it’s the one thing they can’t make very well. £1k is a silly budget for wheels unless you’re looking for some deep section carbons and even then you’re falling in to a dead zone of being between average and sh!thot wheels like the Campag Hyperons

Hyperons

I used a pair for two seasons and they still looked new

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got ksyrium es and found them as the sl’s above but wish id gone handbuilt. Im thinking of getting rid and going down that route so think hard before you buy 🙂

sq225917
    Free Member

Do you want light, or stupid light carbon rims that won’t last two minutes and can’t be used in the wet because the road paste will eat them away to nothing?

The things that matter are.

Durability: how long will they last, rim wear rates, breakages.

Parts availability: if you want anything to be available in two seasons time stick with the big brands who don’t churn designs, my Kysirium SL’s are like ‘triggers brush’ only the hubs remain.

Servicability: how easy are they to tweak and true.

There are plenty of options, if you want all season carbon that stay away from carbon braking surfaces, clinchers roll as well if not better than tubs these days, but are slightly less aero, and never buy a brand new design in the first season, no point being the guinea pig.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

Tune hubs, Dt carbon rims. got a set with trad rims from posh bikes. Very nice, light, and bombproof.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Check wheelsmith.co.uk for very good handbuilt wheels.If you run campag neutron ultras are light and bombproof.

scotia
    Free Member

lightweight, not bling!

Dekerfer
    Free Member

Consider lightening your set-up with lighter inner tubes and tyres. Theser tend to get overlooked but can make 200g difference vs a standard build.

I ride Campag Neutrons – if you can find them in Shimano fitting I would recommend them a lot as a great all-round and climbing wheel.

njee20
    Free Member

FFWD do some really nice factory wheels that may just squeak into budget.

I wouldn’t touch Ksyriums with a barge pole, unreliable, overpriced, heavy.

The DT Mon Chasseral’s are good, but overpriced considering they’re just 240s with RR1.1 rims. There aren’t really many light alu clincher rims out there, I’d stick with what you have, or go carbon.

Gary_M
    Free Member

unreliable, overpriced, heavy

unreliable – why, not had a problem so far and used a set of aksiums on my commuter for around 8000 miles with not one issue. Are the more expensive wheels mor unreliable.

expensive – well that depends how much you paid.

heavy – really, do you mean for £800.

clubber
    Free Member

Bugdet…up to 1k

Well that’s the sort of money at which wheelsets are better than handbuilts.

aP
    Free Member

I’d say try the Campagnolo Neutron or Neutron Ultra (lighter with carbon hubs). They’re pretty understated, pretty fast and pretty light and not silly money either.
    I’ve had a pair of Campag Electron (similar to Neutron but different hubs) since 1998 and they’re still going strong. When they finally do die then I’ll replace them with a pair of Neutrons.
    You’ll be able to get the freehub changed to Shimano quite easily at any good bike shop.

Smiker
    Free Member

If you went for Ksyriums, get the SL’s, not the premiums. The pirce upgrade isnt worth the 5g.

I just put some Dura Ace wheels on, the carbon/alloy clinchers. Stiff, comfotable and a fast pick up from the freehub.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Stiff, comfotable [sp] and a fast pick up from the freehub.

But unfortunately you have the social stigma of having ‘trick’ wheels that say shimano on them, but they do have red nipples 😉

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The Shimano Dura ace ones with the carbon rims/ally brake surface get good reports.

If I was going hand built, I’d probably get DT 190 hubs, Open pro rims built up with the lightest spokes I could find (Sapim CX ray?) laced 2x rear and radial front (if the f.hub will take it).

Persoanlly I like the Campag wheels, but i’m not sure if can get them in Shimano version. I’m currently running an oldish pair of Mavic Kysrium SSC SLs and they’ve been faultless in the 2 years I’ve had them.

MrSmith
    Free Member

DT mon-chasserals or if you don’t like the bling white they do an ordianry black/silver version.
    the dura-ace carbons are a nice wheelset too.

GJP
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    FFWD do some really nice factory wheels that may just squeak into budget.

My understanding is that the FFWD wheels are handbuilt – but now not all by the same on guy as he couldn’t keep up with demand.

If you wanted to know more about them and can’t find a local lbs then try sigmasport.co.uk.

Joxster
    Free Member

Paligap would be better to speak to for FFWD as they are the importer.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Which lightweight road wheels?’ is closed to new replies.