Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • which light weight strong wheels?
  • br
    Free Member

Hope Hoops (Hope Pro 2 SP c/w Crest), 1572g with yellow tape and 21mm internal. I’ve two pairs and had no problems at all, 140mm HT.

prezet
    Free Member

Been considering the same – also running pro 2 on 721’s, sure they’re kind of heavy, but they’re bomb proof.

*watching thread*

drewfus
    Free Member

Thanks again for the replies lads/ladettes.. Anyone got any views on Chris King hubs? Are they better than hope’s or DT’s??
    Liking the idea of trying Stans’ rims as I normally run Mavic,but need to decide the hubs.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

drewfus
    Thanks again for the replies lads/ladettes.. Anyone got any views on Chris King hubs? Are they better than hope’s or DT’s??
    Liking the idea of trying Stans’ rims as I normally run Mavic,but need to decide the hubs.

You probably won’t hear much bad against them. They can break, don’t let people tell you they are invincible, but they feel AMAZING. Just stunning. second only to i9 in my opinion. Just be mindful of of future frame compatibility if spending that much.

Chris king hub, stans rims, would be great. BTW, the e13 trs I mentioned in my first post are available as a rim only too, very light and decent width. bit of an unknown at the minute.

drewfus
    Free Member

May well try CK hubs and Stans.. Which Stans tho? Bike takes 20mm front standard qr135 rear, future compatabilty might be a problem… I like the look of the E13 stuff tho, will do some resarch on rims and hubs..

muddyfunster
    Free Member

drewfus

May well try CK hubs and Stans.. Which Stans tho? Bike takes 20mm front standard qr135 rear.

I believe the general consensus is Flow EX for DH, Flow for Enduro and AM, Crests for trail and slightly more technical xc, and then what is it, Alpines for full XC? I think so. Just be sure that you can convert your rear to 142 as there is a good chance your next bike may be that way, and you will invariably want to swap your wheels over as they will be great.

drewfus
    Free Member

Yeah was thinking the Flows seemed to be the best match for what I wanted, anyone got a best price site?

Scamper
    Free Member

Against a few weights quoted above i’m pretty sure my rear pro 2 evo arch with comps and a front pro 2 evo arch ex with supercomps, both with pro lock came in at 1750g.

edit, may be wrong but unlike the arch ex, the flow ex is actually heavier than the previous standard flow its replacing, but stronger to move it away from the arch ex?

prezet
    Free Member

After reading all this – I think I’m going to swap my 721’s for Flow Ex’s, benefits being they’re 100g lighter (only 20g more than Flow’s), tubeless (obviously) and have the same ERD as the 721’s – so a straight rim swap without needing new spokes is possible.

I’m guessing they won’t be as bombproof as the 721’s – but I don’t ride them hard enough to justify needing all that strength/weight.

njee20
    Free Member

I was very underwhelmed by my King hubs. Wouldn’t buy another pair. Much prefer DT240s personally.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Why’s that Njee? engagement? weight? reliability? I’ve not owned a set but have ridden plenty and been blown away by the speed and precision of them. Only beaten by i9

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I have the same wheelset as the OP and I keep on thinking of building something lighter but why when the wheels never go wrong.

Muddyfunster hubs don’t giove you speed. Even a rough hub has a coefficent of rolling friction 100 times less than a the tyre on the gorund. I think njee by be underwheelmed by the price for the gain over a much cheaper hub. CK hubs are very nice too look at though.

I think I’d like a set of Stan’s crest rims with DT 240 hubs for CX riding on DB spokes. the cost puts me off I can buy at trade.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘which light weight strong wheels?’ is closed to new replies.