Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Which light seatpost?
  • Kryton57

I was going with one of these:

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=109

…but at 75kg in my b’day suit, I’d rather go with something a bit less fragile.

Any suggestions? I have a 400mm Thompson Elite, at 271g so would like to lose a bit of weight off that – is bad/dangerous to suggest I saw 50mm off of it, as this would still leave 120mm in the frame?

No “go for a dump comments please”, thats a given.

akira

What diameter do you need? Currently running kore t-rail saddle seatpost combo and its pretty light. Tricky to find carbon version but CRC had so me of the alloy ones left.

nickjb
    Free Member

120mm in the frame sounds like plenty. As long as it goes a good bit below any joins (top tube and seat stays) then it should be fine.

xcstu
    Free Member

I have a thomson masterpiece 30.9 for sale… £70 🙂

New bike has a different size otherwise would keep haha

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ritchey have always been a good bet for posts in the light and strong category.

Kryton57

I need 30.9.

The seatpost would be 50mm below the TT join. So no issues cutting it down then, which sounds like the cheapest way to go about it…

nickjb
    Free Member

The seatpost would be 50mm below the TT join. So no issues cutting it down then, which sounds like the cheapest way to go about it…

That would be fine IMO.

jairaj

What type of riding?

The Carbon Cycles seat post is light and cheap: http://www.carboncycles.cc/?product_code=CC-S0935

Note, they only recommend it for XC riding a max rider weight of around 90kg.

Or if you don’t mind getting a new saddle too, I’ve regularly seen SDG I beam stuff going very cheap on CRC. It was a few years back but I picked up their carbon seat post and a Bel Air saddle for around £80 total and together I think they weighted 450g all together. I think that’s a pretty good weight for something rated for all mountain riding? I emailed them to confirm and they were happy with me doing aggressive riding on it.

onandon
    Free Member

I have the KCNC posts on ll my bikes. I’m around 73kg at the mo but have been quite a bit more without bending one.
    Plenty of cheaper KCNC posts on eBay.

teamslug
    Free Member

I have USE alien ali posts on 2 of mine. I’m 70kg and although they are a right faff to sort they are very light (254g) 350mm 31.6. Not had any probs even on my ‘bigger’ bike. I have a carbon i beam as a spare one which is heavier.

Kryton57

I got more enthusiastic, seatpost is now only 50mm below the bottom of the TT join – I’m guessing this is OK?

But as a result my now mini-thompson is 201g, and has a nice shiny mini-chamfer at the bottom courtesy of a wet&dry finish.

A nice little 15 min lunch hour project.

Kryton57

Oh, I’ve just read about Anthems and cracked top tubes and a recall. Appreciate this was in 2011 but its made me nervous…

njee20
    Free Member

I have USE alien ali posts on 2 of mine. I’m 70kg and although they are a right faff to sort they are very light (254g) 350mm 31.6

That’s not light…

Stop fannying around and buy the KCNC, sell the (now significantly shorter) Thomson to offset cost!

Kryton57

Cost isn’t the issue. Its the KCNC potentially snapping. Then again, I’m not the “hardest” or “clumsiest” rider around and I do “float” when riding…

njee while I have your attention – I just replaced the wheelset to AC MTB race, quaxar’s & Ron/Beaver with a 810g loss in weight over OEM 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

And you’re more than 10% under the weight limit.

Very good on the wheels, gold star.

Kryton57

Very good on the wheels, gold star.

Yes, that’ll show that Nobby….

And you’re more than 10% under the weight limit.

I’m worried I won’t be with kit on. Remember this is the “one” bike now, so it needs to accomodate an “everday” kit weight with water etc as well as a “race” kit weight which would be lighter.

Actually buying the 400mm KCNC might help, its still 100g lighter but there’d be much more in the frame…

stumpy01

If you are worried about the weight limit, get this KCNC, then…

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=319

I’ve got one on my FSR and it is fine – few years old now and it’s still straight – I’m around 74kg in my birthday suit. Bit heavier than the scandium one, but still light and has a much higher weight limit. The clamp is great too.
    They do it in 400mm as well.

Cutting the seatpost down seems like a bit of a rash move. Would you not have been better off sticking it on ebay to offset the cost of a new post, rather than hack a load off it?

Kryton57

@stumpy

I’m on a large Anthem 29, which really is quite large in the TT, 18mm layback would probably be an issue. My current in-line has the saddle cetral I guess…

Stevet1
    Free Member

The 1990’s would also like to check if you’ve –
    trimmed your bars to be shoulder width
    fitted foam grips
    trimmed your brake and gear cables as short as possible so you can’t turn more than 45 degrees
    fitted air-B latex inner tubes
    running 28 spokes on the front
    fitted Ritchey ‘Z’ max 1.7″ tyres (red front, black rear natch)
    drilled holes in your cranks
    fitted some flimsy aftermarket QRs
    ditched the seat QR
    replaced your mech hangar bolt with an aluminium one (and removed at least some of the skin from your knuckles) then zip tied it on

Can’t think of anymore that used to be in the ‘Top 10 ways to save weight’ yearly articles in the MTB mags of the day.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m worried I won’t be with kit on. Remember this is the “one” bike now, so it needs to accomodate an “everday” kit weight with water etc as well as a “race” kit weight which would be lighter.

You won’t carry 10kg of weight. Even with the sort of shit most on here advocate carrying for 3 miles around a trail centre! Look at the weight limit for road use too, can’t see it being hugely fragile. I may still have a brand new New Ultimate carbon one alternatively, forget what sizes I’ve got. They’re light. My 27.2 is 123g.

amedias
    Free Member

I’m worried I won’t be with kit on

Weight limit for XC is 85kg, you said you’re 75Kg, how much kit do you wear?!

Being that it has a 120Kg limit for road use that implies it’s mor than capable of handling you sat on it, the difference is to account for banging into things off road while sat down, and hopefully you’re not sat down when you bang into things?

Based on above assume the weight limit is a bit conservative too then I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Kryton57

Here’s an interesting point;

The OEM seatpost (giant connect SL) if set at the minimum insertion mark would only extend 20mm beyond/under the TT junction. I didn’t come with a warning no to do that and therefore…

Having my now 300mm Thomson extending 50mm below the TT junction would seem perfectly safe.

Kryton57

hmm, NJEE/Amedias, I see that. I’m not a kit abusing, thrasing, clumsy rider so I guess you have a point.

And my wife has just left the house *wanders off to XC Racer* 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Meant to add that the New Ultimate ones have a 90kg weight limit.

stumpy01

Kryton57 – Member

@stumpy

I’m on a large Anthem 29, which really is quite large in the TT, 18mm layback would probably be an issue. My current in-line has the saddle cetral I guess…

The answer is obviously a smaller frame (which will save you even more weight…. 😆

teamslug
    Free Member

Just weighed my USE Alien…dont know where I came up with 254g….^ njee its 174grammes 31.6 350mm

brassneck

85Kg is going to be a conservative assessment, reckon the road load is more on the money.

My old Superlight was weight limited to 85Kg (I think) – I’ve not been much below that for years and didn’t manage to break it in 10 years hard use.

njee20
    Free Member

Just weighed my USE Alien…dont know where I came up with 254g….^ njee its 174grammes 31.6 350mm

Much more like it! The 27.2 Alien on my road bike is very light, so not surprised.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Even with the sort of shit most on here advocate carrying for 3 miles around a trail centre

😆

new ultimate alloy 350 – comes with a 90kg limit

http://r2-bike.com/New-Ultimate-Seatpost-Aluminium-Alloy-350-mm-130g

njee20
    Free Member

If I’ve got one Kryton you can have the NU Carbon one for £100 (I used to be the distributor, if you weren’t aware). They’re about £160 normally IIRC.

Kryton57

Cheers, all though I feel I must have some KCNC on my bike (Stem is OD2 so no joy there, bars will be Mt zoom low risers, with Ti faceplate bolts no less).

I reckon this bike is approaching sub 25.5lb now even by my digi-kitchen scale calculations.

njee20
    Free Member

See I’d avoid KCNC stuff where I could. It’s light and good value, but I think it looks cheap and nasty!

Kryton57

Well, you live in Surrey and me in the slums of North London… 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Sussex now daaaaahling. Couldn’t afford a GU postcode!

chakaping
    Free Member

Race Face Next SL has a lovely clamp system and the two I’ve owned have been faultless.

Not really interested in weight myself, but they feel very light. Also quite comfy.

stumpy01

njee20 – Member
    See I’d avoid KCNC stuff where I could. It’s light and good value, but I think it looks cheap and nasty!

😳

How very dare you!?! 😉
    I fitted it to my bike because I thought it looked pretty good (and part of it was because it’s a name you don’t see everywhere).
    My seatpost looks quite worn now, I will admit, but I think that’s because to get the bike in my car, I remove the seatpost so it’s in-out all the time.
    Funny thing was, although I didn’t buy it to save weight I did expect it to be a bit lighter than the stock Specialized stuff, given the price of it all….but there was very little in it (although the seatpost is longer and bars wider, so perhaps not a fair comparison).
    Just goes to show that to save weight you shouldn’t just assume that the standard finishing kit is cheap and heavy!

njee20
    Free Member

Ha, personal innit! I’d not not have it (have used their skewers before), just not a brand I’d choose on looks alone!

Kryton57

In my case I have weighed what I’m taking off, vs what I’ll be putting in. The SL on Giants alloy stuff is a bit of misnoma…

njee20
    Free Member

SL on early Rock Shox forks stood for “Sport Level” no inference as to the weight.

That’s all fact fans!

brassneck

SO what would you get njee, in terms of a similar price point and weight? I was looking at KCNC too, but a few options never hurt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Which light seatpost?’ is closed to new replies.