Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which Light combo?
  • lungs94
    Free Member

I’ve looked through alot of threads about this but none actually help me, I’m looking for the best Bar and Helmet light combo for under £200

MTB Batteries Lumenator & Lumen 800 combo for £145, I heard good reviews on the Lumenator but not so much the Lumen800, are these lights good as people say?

Torchy BK 7even for helmet & bar £140, this light looks better than The Lumenator but I’ve seen little reviews about it, and not heard much about it either.

Exposure Joystick MK10 & Torchy BK 7even, I think this is the best setup, heard great reviews on the Exposure, but again none on Torchy’s BK 7even, £190

Lumenator for Bar and Torchy BK 7even for helmet, £175.

I could stretch to 2x Lumenators for £210

Would it be better to get an expensive Bar light and a cheaper Helmet light or vice versa, or both just as good?

Which would you choose? and if you think theres a better combo for under £200 people suggest.

jmatlock
    Free Member

MTB Bateries Lumen800/Lumenator is unbeatable for under £150.

lungs94
    Free Member

Better than 2x Torchy BK 7even for £140? I’ll be riding on tight twisty singletrack with alot of trees on either side, and some black routes.

lungs94
    Free Member

Anyone?

samwilk200
    Free Member

Would a Torchy BK 33three not be a better size for a helmet light and combine it with a BK 7 on the bars for around £100ish?

Also interested in this thread as im looking to purchase a light set.

lungs94
    Free Member

Hi Sam, the BK 3three isn’t as good as the others but, I suggest you looking on ebay or 2nd hand websites, I’ve just bought a NiteRider Pro 2200 Enduro and a Hope R8 Vision both 2nd hand (both only used 1-2 times) for £220!, I didnt buy the Lumenator or Torchy’s, because they’re basically glorified chinese lights (no offense meant)

jmatlock
    Free Member

I very nearly went for a Hope R8, loved the look of the head unit. But the battery pack is massive, and a crazy weight.

Fine if you’re using the head unit on your helmet and the battery in a rucksack. But where on the bike would you want that swinging around?

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’ve got Gloworm X1/X2 and can’t think what else I could ever need.
    eBay is your friend although mine were new.

flaps
    Free Member

I bought a 5000lm (claimed) set from Amazon recently, it’s a twin LED unit, charger, battery and flashing rear led for £17. I’ve needed them twice for about an hour and after that they were still showing full 3/3 on the battery scale. They might not be the coolest looking (think Johnny Five) and it might not be like you’ve turned up at Old Trafford when they are on BUT they are more than bright enough for MTB rides in my opinion and cost less than 10% of what you are talking about spending. If you bought them and thought they were rubbish then you’ve hardly lost anything. Buying from Amazon as well makes me hope they have been tested so I would be safe(r) leaving them on charge than with some of the ebay jobbies.

lungs94
    Free Member

I dont rate those Chinese lights at all, I bought 4 of them back in October 2015, mind you they were very bright but they were poor, after 2 charges all of them no longer held charge, Although I have just bought a claimed 5000 lumen one for £10 on ebay, mostly for back-up we’ll see how long it lasts, regards to the R8 battery pack, a mate has one and he puts the battery pack on the downtube after wrapping it around the toptube, and he’s done blacks with it on there and no problems.

tjagain

Given how good and cheap the chinese lights are why pay a lot more? Get a better battery if the one you get turns out to have rubbish battery life and you are still quids in

oink1
    Free Member

Torchy BK 7even on high – For £80 I can’t fault it 😀[url=https://flic.kr/p/LBDT8L]IMG_1691[/url] by Paul Tarrant, on Flickr

fifeandy
    Free Member
    lungs94
    Free Member

Chinese lights aren’t good though, the beam pattern is crap the battery is diabolical and they’re cheaply made, you get what you pay, however the Hope R8 and Niterider 2200 are both much better lights, obviously for the combined total of £600+ they wouldn’t be such good value, but £220 for the both? can’t go wrong, before you get the chinese lights to be decent enough, you’re paying the same as I paid for a NiteRider 2200 Enduro (£115) secondhand

jmatlock
    Free Member

What did you pay for the R8?

£170 is the best I have seen them go for s/hand

lungs94
    Free Member

I got the Hope R8 for £105 inc postage, was an auction on Ebay for only like 24 hours, I won with £105 bid, only been used 2 times aswell.

jmatlock
    Free Member

It’s a great light. And you got it at a steal!

Best I have seen is £170.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

This thread reminded me that my cheap eBay lights died last winter.
    Have decided that these are worth a punt at £40 for the pair:
    izone arc 650 front and fuse 50 rear

Not the highest output nor the longest runtime but seemed like good value.
    There’s an 850 lumen version of the front too at £40.

Anyone tried one?

senorj

I have the lumenator & lumen800 combo – must be nearly four years of irregular use. Still ok.

Dekerf
    Free Member

Ive got an exposure joystick mk9 and 10 for a helmet light, and either are great for seeing where you are going

I also run one of those cheapy Chinese £25 jobbies on the bars as a back up light (for when I forget to charge my lumicycles or go out with the kids) and it throws out enough light for the trail

Works well for the price and would come in well under your £200 budget depending on what deal you can get on the joystick

Though you are limited to about 1 1/2 hours of light

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which Light combo?’ is closed to new replies.