Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which lid for offroad touring/bikepacking?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

I’m really liking the look of the Bell Super 2 and the IXS Train RS. Not sure which one to pick though! Anyone got any suggestions? I much prefer the look of helmets with a back bit and a front visor. Thanks (:

jam-bo

The same one you use for normal off road riding? It’s what I do..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You need a bikepacking specific one. To help us guide you to the right one, what wheel size are you using?

simondbarnes

What he said

scotroutes

Both of those examples are quite Enduro. I’d simply buy any well-ventilated, good-fitting helmet with a visor. I tend to look for what’s in various sales but I’m quite lucky as I get on with Giro, MET and Specialized helmets so have lots of choice.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Giro and met both do a backpacking specific helmet with tie points for a 5 l drybag from alpkit.

steezysix
    Free Member

This one. Camo FTW.

johnnystorm

Giro feature are half price at Tredz.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s because they’re the 29er specific version.

DrP

Full face. The only way.

DrP

officerfriendly
    Free Member

You need a bikepacking specific one. To help us guide you to the right one, what wheel size are you using?

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? 😉 I don’t have one at all right now, just wanted to see if anyone had any reccomendations (:

Both of those examples are quite Enduro. I’d simply buy any well-ventilated, good-fitting helmet with a visor. I tend to look for what’s in various sales but I’m quite lucky as I get on with Giro, MET and Specialized helmets so have lots of choice.

Thanks for the good advice, might be worth trying one on rather than just buying online. The reason I really like the IXS Trail is that it’s the same one Lael Wilcox had on her 2,700mile Tour Divide race!!

Giro and met both do a backpacking specific helmet with tie points for a 5 l drybag from alpkit.

Can’t seem to find them, do you know which models they are?

This one. Camo FTW.

Does look pretty darn cool.

Looks quite good actually, only more confused now!!

NormalMan

I am very impressed with my Spesh Tactic II.

Although I’m pretty certain it isn’t compatible with boost hubs or something 🙂

IHN

1) Find a cycling helmet that fits.
    2) Where it.

It’s really that simple.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a Kask size L free to good home used but only very briefly last winter. bought to big see…

DougD

Offroad touring/bikepacking? Pith.

scotroutes

Fit is the most important thing. After that, probably venting. Try not to be swayed by what your heroes are using (though we all do it to an extent!)

jameso

For touring inc sleeping out, a road lid with a peaked cap. Keeps the rain out of your face better than an MTB lid’s peak and covers grubby helmet hair conveniently.

mattsccm
    Free Member

To me that’s the perfect time to leave the helmet at home.

midlifecrashes

For bikepacking we really need the helmet manufacurers to step up and deliver a lid with proper luggage capacity, loops etc to lash dry bags. A garmin charging system, using solar panels configurable to follow the sun is essential too. As with all lightweight adventures, it will need to be useful when off the bike too so needs to function as both a cooking pot and latrine.

dknwhy

Try not to be swayed by what your heroes are using

I wear a Giro Savant.

wilburt
    Free Member

What features would make a hemet more or less suitable for bikepacking?

boxelder

I have a Kask size L free to good home used but only very briefly last winter. bought to big see…

My big head would welcome that I reckon – assuming the comment was genuine unlike, I suspect, much of this thread………

pinetree
    Free Member

Officerfriendly, I’m going to suggest something pretty radical here, and while it may seem a bit “out there” I’m certain it’s going to solve a lot of your problems.

You might want to sit down for this. Comfortable? Good. Are you ready..?

GO TO A BLOODY BIKE SHOP!!!

Not sure what helmet you want? Go to a shop, try helmets til you find one you like and that fits you, then buy it.
    Unsure about which frame size to buy? Go to a shop, try bikes til you find one you like and that fits you, then buy it.
    I could go on giving other examples, but I’m sure you get the picture.

Honestly dude, half of your problems seem to stem from asking for advice, then completely ignoring all of it.
    I’d feel bad about suggesting this, as if it was anyone else they would perhaps stop posting such hilarious threads. However as it’s you, you’ll probably ignore my (and everyone else’s) advice, go on to buy something completely unsuitable, then post a follow up thread with a picture of a cushion strapped into a colander, asking why your new helmet doesn’t fit well, and is a bit sweaty…

cookeaa

2) Where it.

My daughter is currently five, I am filled with optimism at the idea of her competing in the future job market because she already knows the difference between “where” and “wear”…

ben98
    Free Member

I’d be interested in this too if it is genuine?

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Fit is the most important thing. After that, probably venting. Try not to be swayed by what your heroes are using (though we all do it to an extent!)

I am very swayed by what she’s wearing! Thanks for the actual advice (: Will try and get the fit nailed.

Officerfriendly, I’m going to suggest something pretty radical here, and while it may seem a bit “out there” I’m certain it’s going to solve a lot of your problems.

You might want to sit down for this. Comfortable? Good. Are you ready..?

GO TO A BLOODY BIKE SHOP!!!

Not sure what helmet you want? Go to a shop, try helmets til you find one you like and that fits you, then buy it.
    Unsure about which frame size to buy? Go to a shop, try bikes til you find one you like and that fits you, then buy it.
    I could go on giving other examples, but I’m sure you get the picture.

Honestly dude, half of your problems seem to stem from asking for advice, then completely ignoring all of it.
    I’d feel bad about suggesting this, as if it was anyone else they would perhaps stop posting such hilarious threads. However as it’s you, you’ll probably ignore my (and everyone else’s) advice, go on to buy something completely unsuitable, then post a follow up thread with a picture of a cushion strapped into a colander, asking why your new helmet doesn’t fit well, and is a bit sweaty…

That’s a good idea, I should probably do that. My LBS only stocks Specialized, I was looking at Bell and IXS. I was only curious if anyone had any other suggestions. Why do you think I ignore the advice? I’ve taken on board a heck of a lot of it. I haven’t had time to update the previous thread yet, been very busy. I bought a set of normal 29er sweep bars, put on an old 70mm stem I had to change the riding position to how it should be, I’m trying riding in the crouching position that the bike is supposed to be ridden in. I’ve gone to my LBS, talked to the guy who does the fittings there, had him have a look at how the bike fits me and adjusted it accordingly. I’m sorry but I think you’re wrong. I have taken on board a lot of the advice. And it honestly has been very helpful.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which lid for offroad touring/bikepacking?’ is closed to new replies.