Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which Laptop and where from please?
  • tyger
    Free Member

My daughter is currently in her final year with her A levels and is struggling with old T30 Thinkpad.

What would be a good replacement and where from? Sensible budget (up to £500)?

Many thanks

druidh
    Free Member

Just get on to http://www.dell.co.uk and buy one from there. Make sure it has Windows 7 on it.

surfer
    Free Member

Dell have some good offers. I have just set up and installed a few bits and pieces on a new Inspiron for some friends for their daughter.
    It was about £350 IIRC

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carbon337
    Free Member

Add a bit more to that get her a white macbook – it will last her all through uni and no spam/spyware/malware.

Buy something cheap and it will break – power jacks first, then batteries, the hinge. £500 may get you 1 to 2 years but a Mac may get you 5.

tyger
    Free Member

Compaq Presario any good? I like the idea of a Mac Book but anything that could potentially slow down her study time i.e. having to learn new ways to use it – would not be helpful

surfer
    Free Member

Add a bit more to that get her a white macbook – it will last her all through uni and no spam/spyware/malware.

Buy something cheap and it will break – power jacks first, then batteries, the hinge. £500 may get you 1 to 2 years but a Mac may get you 5

Bollocks

andyl46
    Free Member

I have recently had a problem with dell, and their customer service has made me determined to buy a Macbook when funds allow.

Fine computers until things go wrong, but it was getting to the point that their inability to deliver a £1.24 component to me nearly wrote off the computer. And trying to convince them they'd sent it to the wrong address? "Yes sir you live in belfast, and we sent it to Edinburgh, as per the delivery address" Yes, but I didn't give you that address, you've posted it randomly to a woman called Susan in Edinburgh… "but we've sent it to the delivery address" I **** know you have!!! (Repeat this conversation for 2 hours, while running headfirst at a wall, and you will re create the experience).

Dell still haven't sent me the correct part. I was able to contact Susan in Edinburgh (isn't google great, thankfully it was her work address so I could get a phone number) and she kindly sent me the part. She was also rather puzzled.

Get a dell if you want, just hope like **** it never goes wrong. Id gat an Acer or a Macbook second hand.

carbon337
    Free Member

Surfer, feel free to enlighten us with a reasonable argument here then.

I had 3 std laptops toshiab sat pro, samsung R10 and a Fujitsu siemens something or other all of them died at about 18mts old, not to mention rebuilds and failing battery performance.

Problems with all of them – either hinges going weak, internal power jack solders failing or the batteries dying.

New macbook – quality piece of equipment with cunning touches like magnet power jack, a battery that hasn't lost any performance in the last 12 months, great driver support, great updates from Apple, efficient use of memory.

surfer
    Free Member

Macs arent PC's. Read the OP.

surfer
    Free Member

I'm writing this on a 3.5yr old Dell. Its used everyday, all day at work, on the road, weekends and evenings.
    Its absolutely fine, top quality, never let me down. I could renew it with what I want when I want but I dont.

Had a Mac a couple of years ago, it fell to bits. But it looked nice.

edit: same battery from new, lasts about 90 mins.

cranberry
    Free Member

My Dell from 2003 is still in use with my parents. The one from 2001 is still in use by my uncle, the one that I bought in 2006 is being used to type this.

For cheapness, buy your laptop from the Dell outlet ( it's somewhere on their website ).

Note – I also have an IBM Thinkpad X60 – very expensive new, but an excellent bit of kit, and it only cost me 330 quid 2nd hand from Fleabay.

67gingerbiker
    Free Member

buy around 20 laptops/ netbooks a year for work; my sage wisdom is either go cheap and buy a new netbook each year or so, or spend more and get a base model MacBook

my Mac Book gets used for loads of different stuff each day and zero problems since new, my teachers laptops grind to a bug infested halt after 2 years

hope that helps

cf

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which Laptop and where from please?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts