Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which Kyle Strait-esque knee pads?
  • jackal
    Free Member

After some new pads as my trusty old Kyle straits are falling to bits.
    Anything new out at the min? Any recommendations?
    Ideally I’d want to be able to use them on the regular bike (so they need to be suitable for all day rides etc) and have enough protection for DH duties too?

blahblahblah
    Free Member

661 Rage kneepads are great IMO. I think they were designed to be the direct replacement for the Straits. Comfy enough for me to wear for long periods of time. Good protection too!

When I tried several sizes on, the strap lengths on all sizes were identical, it was the difference in size/ width of the knee cup that varied. I ended up with a medium even though I have very broad legs. The straps stretched a bit with wear.

patriotpro
    Free Member

A mate has the Rage pads and he likes them.

Only thing he says is that they come up big so just bare that in mind.

jackal
    Free Member

Cheers.
    Anymore opinions?
    How about the troy lee kg5400’s…? No straps tho, so getting the right size would be crucial I suppose.

kayak23

How about Kyle Straits? 🙄

jackal
    Free Member

How about Kyle Straits?

Ahh yes, why didn’t I think of that 🙄

Thought there might be a more modern alternative, eg. less bulky, lighter, etc etc.
    Don’t really want to compromise on the level of protection though, as I’ll be using them on the DH bike too.
    If I can’t find anyting suitable then I’ll probably just go for another pair….

😀

jakebeach

I ordered a pair of evo’s and rage in the 661 private sale on crc a couple of months back. Ended up keeping the evo’s as they are not as bulky as the rage and seem to fit a lot comfier.

jedi

scott rocket pads

wallop

How about Kyle Straits?

Aren’t they discontinued?

haribojangles
    Free Member

Go for the 661 evo. Much comfier than the rage. Good level of protection too. The athertons use the evo on the World Cup races so should definitely hold up well on any crashes. The rage pads are massive feels like you have a riot shield strapped to your leg.

guitarhero
    Free Member

The POC VPD ones are very comfortable, stay in place well, and have good coverage. Pricey though.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

I like kali protectives soft knee guard, a bit less bulky, and comfier than than the kyle straits. The colours aren’t to everyones taste though.

jackal
    Free Member

Went with the Fox launch pro knee pads in the end. Did the first ride in them yest and they’re spot on, actually think I prefer them to the Kyle straits and the cup for your knee cap to sit into feels deeper. They felt very secure (went for size L/XL) and no movement or discomfort felt.

😀

andeh

I have the Fox ones and they are very good. Can wear them all day without discomfort. Sizes are strange though, I wouldn’t say I have large legs but I ended up with the L/XL ones, which are pretty snug.

jackal
    Free Member

Sizes are strange though, I wouldn’t say I have large legs but I ended up with the L/XL ones, which are pretty snug.

Yes I think the s/m size is basically a kids/youth size.

I also looked at the new 661 evo’s, seemed ok (apart from the price), but lack of lower strap put me off….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which Kyle Strait-esque knee pads?’ is closed to new replies.