Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which Jump bike – advice please
  • grtdkad

My 13-year old son is after a Jump bike for xmas and I need advice on what's good and what's not…I have only ever XCd.
    He's very keen and capable and is offering to sell his existing bikes to contribute (Hoffman BMX & Spec Hotrock)…I'm struggling to say no.
    He has asked for a 2009 Specialized P1 (at around £450)…is this any good? Should we be considering anything else in the range £400-£500??

Mrs D thinks this is silly money for a 13 yr old but I figure that he's on his bike 2/3 times per week at least andhe'll still be using it when he's 15….
    …..help?

p1's seem good to me, mongoose do some great value hardtails as well, and have you checked norco and scott? They all make decent enough jump bikes for someone of his age and the whilst he might trash the bits all the frames should stand up to the abuse!

toxicsoks
    Free Member

My son got, an older version of, one of these a few years ago and both he and I were mightily impressed by its bombproofness. He's since graduated to an Atomlab with 24" wheels for jumping and park stuff and a Kona Stinky for the more, er, reckless tomfoolery that 16yr olds do. 🙂

grtdkad

Thanks … based on rrp there appears to be two versions of the P1 and the P2 with some overlap on price I any ideas on spec levels and rideability?

Dylan08
    Free Member

Selling on behalf of my best mate, he wants a more all round MTB, only ever ridden for a bit of street (commute!) this bike is in VGC, built up custom – nice spec…

Frame: 24Seven Slacker – Steel / Pearlescent White
    Forks: Unknown Bike Rigid – Steel / White
    Headset: Cane Creek S3
    Wheel-Set: 24" Halo Combat / Diatech Hub's / Halo White Bolt skewers
    Tyres: 24" Halo Street Tyres (Pair fitted) / comes with a pair of Maxxis HighRollers 24 x 2.7 Supertacky as spares for dirt duties
    Brake: (REAR) Shimano XTR Disc brake / White Lever / 160mm rotor
    Drive-Train: 24Seven Superfat 3-piece cranks / 24Seven single-speed spacer kit & cog / KMC single-speed GOLD chain
    Finishing Kit: 24Seven 50mm stem / 24Seven Riser bars / ODI lock-on Grips / Seven DJ saddle & post / 24Seven clamp / DMR v12's Pearl White

£320 collected Leeds (Bike looks and rides AS NEW!)

grumm
    Free Member

I have no idea what they're like but I saw a P1 like this in the window of my local leisure lakes and its looooooooooovely!

Bumhands
    Free Member

DMR are cool for school

grtdkad

Thanks for the guidance – just been speaking to the LBS. Given that we live in a hilly area they are recommending the Specialized P2 Jump Bike(which is 8-speed) rather than the P1 which is single speed (not wanting to offend the SS-ers out there)…and with good discounts around on the 09 model!

rob1984p
    Free Member

secondhand curtis, they go for sod all and are wicked

swisstony
    Free Member

I've got a P3 which i really rate and run it ss as it is purely for the jumps but yeh go for the geared version he'll get more use out of it

johnikgriff
    Free Member

this looks good value at the moment

dmr sidekick

grtdkad

I must admit that DMR looks niice…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I found the p-series bikes too long, which is od seing as i ride a bmx with a 21.75TT !!

Been eyeing up one of these for a long while, ust cant justify 2 bmx's!

Revell DSX-R 24"

MrGrim

Identiti P-45

grtdkad

Thanks Johnik. A DMR Sidekick is now winging its way from CRC and it looks verry nice…my lad may wonder where it has vanished to every now and then!

johnikgriff
    Free Member

after finding the DMR (I was half looking for something for myself) I couldn't resist. One winging its way to me as well, bet it looks a lot cooler with your lad on board than a 39 year old who should know better (thats me not you)

grtdkad

Ace!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which Jump bike – advice please’ is closed to new replies.