Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Which is the most barking mad country on the planet?
  • binners

I'm voting for North Korea

Just watching newsnight. They're mental! So you spend a shedload of cash on nuclear weapons, massive army etc so as to posture ridiculously, and completely alienate yourself from the rest of the planet. All while your population dies of malnutrition

Insane! Your nominations please

Edric64
    Free Member

The Duchy of Grand Fenwick

curtisthecat
    Free Member

America

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

USA – so rich but a significant minority have virtually no healthcare. So rich but child mortality rates like a third world country.

5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds greenhouse gas production and they don't care.

A totally weird patriotic stance that blinds them to their follies and flaws

druidh
    Free Member

Scotland.

A nation wealthy enough to stand on its own but would rather point and blame the English for all their woes.

binners

I've got to disagree with you there druid. Scotland has true ambition. It wants to be the next…. erm…. Iceland

andrewh
    Free Member

Leaving aside all political correctness gone mad in UK jokes, Turkmenistan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkmenistan , it's just crazy, and the guy running it makes Kim Jong Il look like a cuddly old man.

samuri
    Free Member

Just watching newsnight. They're mental! So you spend a shedload of cash on nuclear weapons, massive army etc so as to posture ridiculously, and completely alienate yourself from the rest of the planet. All while your population dies of malnutrition

Sorry, but did you say Britain 100-150 years ago?

I want to say America too. I've been there a few times and I've seen them on TV and while they are far more British than people like to admit, their extremes are off the scale. At times I had to tap my own jaw closed as I stared in disbelief at some crazy American antic or other.

tails
    Free Member

China – So much history so hidden from its people.

andrewh
    Free Member

So you spend a shedload of cash on nuclear weapons, massive army etc so as to posture ridiculously

Maybe crazy, but not so daft. God knows what America/Isreal are planning for Iran but as NK actually has big bomb, and a missile capable of getting as far as Tokyo (and probably working on one to reach Los Angeles) America may rule out the military option there…
    Not sure what signal that sends to Iran.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I prefer North Korean traffic lights………they've got that right imo.

Not a bad looking army too…..

Coyote
    Free Member

I've got to disagree with you there druid. Scotland has true ambition. It wants to be the next…. erm…. Iceland

Aye, the "arc of prosperity".

Oh, and another vote for China.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Israel. They really do not care about anyone, but criticise them and you're a fascist.

tails
    Free Member

wow andrewh this chap "President for Life Saparmurat Niyazov" is off key, luckily he is now dead. Good read.

Israel thats a weird place, lets give the jews some land, I know lets stick a pin in a map blindfolded. Why they did not just give them a lump of Germany i do not know.

Strangely every year many South Koreans still defect to the North.

andrewh
    Free Member

this chap "President for Life Saparmurat Niyazov" is off key, luckily he is now dead

For those who haven't read it

Gold teeth were outlawed in Turkmenistan after Niyazov suggested that the populace chew on bones to strengthen their teeth and lessen the rate at which they fall out. He said:
    "I watched young dogs when I was young. They were given bones to gnaw to strengthen their teeth. Those of you whose teeth have fallen out did not chew on bones. This is my advice

montylikesbeer

Saudi Arabia, I spent two god forsaken years there.

I have seen be-headings, modern contract slavery, injustice, bigotry on an unimaginable scale.

I'll stop there before I get carried away……………….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why they did not just give them a lump of Germany i do not know.

Indeed. If there was one country in the world which should have given up land in reparation for what the Nazis did to the Jews, then it should have been Germany – not the Palestinians.

They could have given them a whole German state like Hesse or Brandenburg. They even would have had their own German language in the form of Yiddish.

corroded
    Free Member

+1 USA – Some of the nicest, warm-hearted, generous people I've ever met yet utterly potty about certain things. You expect a degree of irrationality from places like N Korea – it's a repressive, paranoid dictatorship – but the US has enshrined freedom and democracy and is still barking.

Also, isn't there an island in the South Pacific that worships Prince Phillip? One of the cargo cult places. That's got to be up there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cuba.

theotherjonv

Clearly it's Iceland. Irrespective of what the rest of them are like, they have Bjork which has to knock their combined barking score off the scale.

druidh
    Free Member

Coyote – Member
    >I've got to disagree with you there druid. Scotland has true ambition. It >wants to be the next…. erm…. Iceland
    Aye, the "arc of prosperity".

Like Norway you mean?

john_drummer
    Free Member

People's Republic of Barnsley

I work there but I'm not sure if I'd want to live there 😉

epicyclo

Scotland.

People are allowed to ride their bikes in their own countryside….

john_drummer
    Free Member

nay, that's just not right, that

andrewh
    Free Member

Also, isn't there an island in the South Pacific that worships Prince Phillip? One of the cargo cult places. That's got to be up there.

Posted 24 minutes ago # Report-Post
    deadlydarcy – Member
    Cuba.

Pardon?
    I think you'll find it's Tanna, part of Vanuatu, rather than Cuba. Not sure why though.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Israel, there I said it 😀

CountZero

Zimbabwe. I don't think it needs pointing out why.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Scotland – why would anyone persevere with life in a country with such shit weather……….?

walla24
    Free Member

serisously? the UK obviously.

can-uk
    Free Member

Saudi Arabia, I spent two god forsaken years there.

Yup Saudi.. spent 1 god forsaken year there.. don't know how you managed 2.. you must have a good therapist!

The place is like being thrown back into the dark ages. Total separation of men and women. No cinemas/theatre. Alcohol is illegal. Women cannot travel without a permission letter from father/husband. Expats cannot travel without a letter from their employers..

samuri
    Free Member

Leading on from Ernies pretty Korean traffic lady, I like this one better.
    Wait for them to change operatives. It made me laugh anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YVIBawHaQY

jonb
    Free Member

Dubai, not on the scale of North Korea but when they arrest people for kissing in public or having stepped in something illegal in another country or even eaten the wrong sort of bread roll!

[/url]

LHS
    Free Member

The problem with the US is that its such a huge nation you are bound to get extremes. Its like grouping Europe together.

nicko74

Leaving aside all political correctness gone mad in UK jokes, Turkmenistan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkmenistan , it's just crazy, and the guy running it makes Kim Jong Il look like a cuddly old man.

Well, not any more – Niyazovh died a few years back, and the names of the months have gradually reverted back to their normal names… I went, and while I obviously only saw the outside of things, once you got away from Ashgabat it seemed like a combination of ex-Soviet state (grotty cities) and desert nation (big desert, flaming gas craters).
    Whereas North Korea looks properly bonkers. Really want to go! 🙂

gonefishin
    Free Member

I've been to the US and I've been to North Korea. In a game of mentalist tops trumps, North Korea will win every single hand.

Whereas North Korea looks properly bonkers. Really want to go!

Well it's not cheap, or an easy place to visit by any means but it's certainly an education and a trip that I'm glad I made.

I think I need to visit central asia though. There seem to be some properly mental countries there too.

tootallpaul

I have to vote for my current country of residence…

Ethiopia

My favourite two barking mad facts:

Its the year 2002.

They tell the time in a completely different way! 6am is 12 oclock, so now at 11.37 in the morning western/ferenji time, it is 5.37 Ethiopian time.

It makes it hard to work out when you should be at meetings…

tiggs121
    Free Member

England – they think they will win the World Cup!

nicko74

gonefishin – when did you go to N Korea? Obviously I'd really want to get off the approved track there, but that ain't gonna happen…

Central Asia is fascinating – I really recommend it. After a while, mind, the Soviet-built cities all get a bit depressing, particularly the ones that really don't have much reason for being there any more (like Dashogus).

tails
    Free Member

New entry Pakistan

ianv
    Free Member

Is Turkmenistan the country where the driving test consisted of questions about the Presidents wife?

Libya must be pretty crazy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Which is the most barking mad country on the planet?’ is closed to new replies.