Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which is the best trail center
  • roughneck
    Free Member

Dolby is my local and is not bad. There’s not a lot of climbing but you do have the moors next door.
    GT and Inners was very good, the black at Inners was the best.
    I’m looking for the next weekend away with the lad’s this summer, was thinking wildcat at Golspie. Is there a full weekend riding there.

wycombephil
    Free Member

Glentress. It has everything. Love it!

brant
    Free Member

Heptonstall

grumm
    Free Member

Kiroughtree. Plus then you can then do Mabie/Dalbeatie/Ae on the other day.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

heptonstall i only live in bacup but dont know round there at all.is there anywhere i can get some routes or is it a matter of buy a map and explore.seen some smart pictures from round tod and calderdale in singletrack this month but dont know them either.

forge197
    Free Member

I would pick a location around Dalbeattie, Ae, Mabie, Kirroughtree, if you pick well you will be less than 1hrs drive from any of them and have a differing types of riding for each day if you wanted.

loddrik
    Free Member

Only been to Glentress a couple of times but I reckon it would get the nod over Afan, CyB good too

stoney
    Free Member

Kirroughtree!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I haven’t been to Golspie yet, but there is definately enough up there to ride in a weekend as nearby there are also the Carbisdale and balblair trails (which can be linked together as they’re both quite short). Also not that far away are Learnie and/or Laggan for your 2nd day ride. However, it’s a bloody long way for just a weekend, personally I’d save them for a week trip or a very long weekend and do all the FC trails up there. I’d second Kirri, Dalbeattie, Ae and/or Mabie for a weekend trip.

simonside
    Free Member

Whinlatter!

Jenga
    Free Member

The Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and Pennines round Tod way are all very good centres full of trails.

Richyb
    Free Member

Ive done Whinlatter, Grizedale, Dalby, CyB, Marin, Glentress, Mabie, Llandegla & Kirroughtree, out of them it’s Kirroughtree.

IWH
    Free Member

Roughneck – I’ve got a coach load of riders heading up to the 7 Stanes the weekend of June 19th to the 22nd. Driving up overnight to arrive Saturday AM, ride as many of the centres as we can before heading back Monday afternoon to get everyone at W**k Tuesday. If you’re interested we’ve still got space on the coach & at the Accommodation.

email mtblee09[at]googlemail.com if you want some details 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

heptonstall i only live in bacup but dont know round there at all.

Brant was kiddin 🙂

However I don’t want to get into trail centre slagging so I shall keep schtum :o)

rich-6
    Free Member

i camped at Kipford HP over the road from Dalbeattie did the 7 stanes and thought Kirroughtree came top spot then followed by Glentress, Dalbeattie, Ae, Mabie. Id like to have a trip to kielder next time i’m up there as icve heard its pretty good too

Dalby is also my Local but i find it quite boring i use it just to get out 😆

North face trail at grizedale is also good once you get about 30% the way in, I did this in a very cold (-6) Icy morning, mental dont think i’l go back up til its warmer the boards were rather slippy and the rocks werent good either but it aws a day out

Garry_Lager

You won’t go wrong with a stay in Dumfries to do Kirroughtree, Dalbeattie etc; but maybe consider Laggan? You’ve got the wolftrax to arse around with your mates on – some serious technical riding for a trail centre, plus there’s 5 or 6 epic rides on the doorstep in the mountains.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cannock, because it not a 5 hour drive (unless you live in Scotland)

Secret trail, becuae you’ve got the satisfaction of having dug them out of the ground with your bare hands (and the occasional shovel and rake). 5 hours i the car, or 5 hours building a kicker?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As above. Love Cannock because it’s local and the stuff away from the “dog” is real good. Totally different to the welsh trail centres but I need a weekend to visit them. Maybe get to go 4-5 times a year. Cannock is on my door step and it makes an excellent night ride once a week. Been regular up there for over 5 years now and I still find the odd new bit now and again.

There’s enough to keep you out from a 1 hour blast to an all day mooch.

thomthumb
    Free Member

drumlanrig

james
    Free Member

Where are you based?

These ought to give you an idea whats near one another, and just how far away some of them are:

Welsh Trail centres without purpose-built facilities

Welsh trail centres with purpose-built facilities

guide to scottish trail centres (not FC)

Can’t find anything comprehensive on england but apparantly this is the lot for the UK:

England

Aston Hill
    Bedgebury
    Cannock Chase
    Chicksands
    Dalby
    Delamere
    Forest of Dean
    Friston Forest
    Gisburn
    Grizedale
    Guisborough
    Haldon
    Hamsterley
    Hopton Wood
    Kielder
    Queen Elizabeth Country Park
    Rossendale Lee Quarry
    Sherwood Pines
    Stainburn
    Surrey Hills
    Swinley Forest
    Thetford Forest
    Timberland Trail
    Wharncliffe
    Whinlatter Forest

Scotland

Abriachan
    Ae
    Arran
    Balblair
    Carbisdale
    Carron Valley
    Comrie Croft
    Dalbeattie
    Drumlanrig
    Fire Tower Trail
    Fort William
    Glentress
    Glentrool
    Golspie
    Innerleithen
    Jedburgh
    Kirkhill
    Kirroughtree
    Laggan
    Learnie
    Mabie
    Moray
    Mull of Kintyre
    Newcastleton
    Pitfichie
    Strathpeffer

Wales

Afan Argoed
    Brechfa
    Cli-machx
    Coed Llandegla
    Coed Trallwm
    Coed y Brenin
    Cwmcarm
    Cwm Rhaeadr
    Gwydyr Forest
    Mach Trails
    Nant yr Arian
    Penmachno

Bike Parks

Balnain
    Blandford Forum – UK Bike Park
    Esher
    P.O.R.C.

gingerflash

I’m not a big fan of purpose-built trails but Kirroughtree’s the best I’ve ridden.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Mabie yesterday.

No better that Inners or GT, just a little bit different

mrmojo
    Free Member

I really like Kirroughtree it’s very natural and best of the Stanes. I would disagree that Glentress is better than Afan and Coed y Brenin I think both are much better and offer so much riding. Glentress is way overrated IMO, too busy. Innerleithen’s much better. Laggen is a great trail would love to try Golspie but bit of of a trek to get there.

daveb
    Free Member

Golspie is excellent and IMO the best trail centre in the UK, Laggan can be done on the way back down. Next to Golspie would have to be Kirroughtree and as people have said you have the benefit of Dalbeattie, mabie and Drumlanrig within 10 mins to under and hours drive away (Also Ae is close by but not worth it IMO).

If doing Glentress then do the Black, if you have spare time you could always cut up and do the red and the next day do Innerleithen black which is also very good.

WTF
    Free Member

Kirroughtree closely followed by Drumlanrig.
    G/T and Inners would be on the list but are victims of their own success tbh more so G/T

steveh

Brechfa definitely for me. I’ve done just over 30 of the ones on that list above and brechfa wins it. The dh sections on both the black and red are amazing.

didmatt
    Free Member

Dalby is also my local with living 30miles away, its nice just to use as somewhere to go for a blast around as its all familar. Been to Hamsterley a few times and Guisborough so far, planning to goto Wharncliffe, Stainburn, Whinlatter Forest within the next few months.

Next for me is Isle of Skye next week! 😆

kennyp
    Free Member

The post said “center”, so I’m guessing it has to be Whistler or somewhere like that!

Smee
    Free Member

Top Dog – I thought you preferred Thornielee?

Innerleithen is crap – not worth the effort.

steveh

I wouldn’t bother with Wharncliffe at the moment, very boggy and not that easy to follow if you don’t know it. To be honest not that good either and i helped build some of it. Not enough funding to do it properly and it hasn’t stood up to hammer well.

Innerleithen was another i really liked, lots of biggish jumps on the last dh.

roughneck
    Free Member

Thank for the offer but I’m on holiday with wife and kids

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Suppose it depends if we are talking purely just on riding or other aspects as well such as facilities, accessiblity, fun for all and scenery?

ObscuraSky
    Free Member

I’d like to recommend the Pedalabikeaway Cycle Centre in the Forest of Dean. It’s not the best equipped, or the largest, but the staff there are really friendly and when my son got a puncture there recently they fixed it for free!

terrahawk
    Free Member

Lee Quarry
    (also missing from your list, James).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t think there is any “best” – only different. I have ridden Glentress, Innerleithan, Laggan and now dalbeattie.

Glentress is good because of its variety of trails and sheer amount of them. any level of skill can have fun there and IMO you get really good value of downhill for your climbing.

Innerleithan is more challenging perhaps – but less for less skilled riders and less options.

Laggan is fun for all again – and because the loops are short you can go with a mixed ability group and keep meeting up again – and its black run truly deserves to be called black

Dalbeatie is more natural feeling – I have only been there once and done the red – but there are bits on the trail that are very tricky to be red IMO and no chicken runs but a nice feel to the route – and from the maps it looks like you can vary which bits you ride and make up different loops to suit.

So there is no better or worse – just different and some centres will suit some folk more than others.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which is the best trail center’ is closed to new replies.