Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which is the best cheap chinese light? Magicshine SSC P7-C??
  • Lofty
    Free Member

Dear All

I’m just about to buy my first proper light (that needs to be suitable for about 1 to 2hrs trail riding). I was automatically going to buy the ubiquitous MagicShine SSC P7-C but thought I’d better check as there are some 1200 lumen but cheaper although they are described as torch? Which one should I actually buy?

I’m not looking to spend more then about £40

Thanks

rthomas17
    Free Member

Get this

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-smooth-crown-waterproof-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82507

I bought 3 recently – came in just under £30 each.

You can buy an additional strap to mount it to a helmet.

Northwind

If it’s going to be your only light i’d recommend the P7 lights over the XMLs- they’re not as bright but they have a better beam IMO. XML is a good helmet light but it’s relatively spotlighty, and even though it does have a wider throw the strength of the spot overpowers it in my experience. P7 makes less light but it’s a more balanced beam so I get a lot more use out of the wide element.

z1ppy

I’d totally disagree with NW, I get a XML over a P7 any day of the week, as the P7 though a great light for the money over the last few year, is simply overawed by the power and reach of the newer XML. I have both and the P7 has been relegated to the spares bin. The focused beam can be over come if required, via a cheap replacement reflector or lenses.

I would not suggest using rthomas’s link either, not that I think he’s been unhelpful, but more to suggest that reviews on here of some of the £30 XML units, regard it as cheap for a reason. Even though you specified a limit on your cash, I would suggest to you the more expensive versions with better batteries or a UK supplier such as Smudge will be more economic in the long run.

Lofty
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ve just bought an XML 1200 lumen off ebay for under £30 so i’ll see what, if anyhting, turns up!!

Northwind

See, the XML does have fantastic reach, I just don’t find that’s as useful as the short range wider beam of the P7 when used by itself(which still has adequate reach). It’s overkill in one place, and underkill everywhere else.

I see there’s a wide beam lens available aftermarket which would probably make the DX XML into a P7 killer but as standard it’s a different sort of light. Both are great lights but if i could only choose one of mine it’d be the P7 every time.

z1ppy

The main complaint I’ve always harbored about the P7 was it’s lack of reach, hense my preference for the XM-L. Though I never used my XM-L as my sole light (except one test ride), so am left wondering if I’d have a different opinion if I did.

AlexSimon

I’m with Northwind – I had to modify the XML to be more of a flood. It was far too spotty before that.

Someone said that Smudge’s lights are already more floody, but I haven’t seen a direct beamshot comparision so it might just be hearesay.

Gribs

Having both and having used both seperately when a mate forgot his lights if I just had to have one it’d be the XML on my helmet but bar mounted the p7 seems better. Combined they’re great and I’m not sure I’d really want to rely on just one as the build quality isn’t the best.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

P7’s are good, i have 2…….think i paid less than £30 for the last one from DX.

chakaping
    Free Member

From DX? Do you have a link please as I fancy one of these as a helmet light.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I have a 3xXPG Magicshine lighthead only (frome Ebay) that I pair up with one of several batteries I have lying around. That light is a big spread, not much of a spot.. nice light.. I have a P7 C Bin light that looks exactly like the original Magicshine, in same box, but no Magicshine logo anywhere… that has been great for 3 years of a lot of use.. I also have a light sold as a Sub66 that is a D bin P7. This light is noticably brighter than the C bin Magicshine? clone? I have no idea which factory this light came out of but I got it from that torchythebatteryboy on ebay who is a very fair and good seller who backs his items up.

Anyway.. they have all impressed me.

sb
    Free Member

Glad I found this thread. I got caught out in the dusk tonight and came home to get on the internet to sort some lights as I only have basic led’s. I’ve gone for a 900L p7 for the bar mount and a helmet mount xml 1200L based on the recommendations here. All dirt cheap on ebay too.

Thanks 😉

Moe

chakaping – Member

From DX? Do you have a link please as I fancy one of these as a helmet light.

I’ve got a spare mount you can have, mail me.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I just this minute pulled the trigger on a D bin P7 Gemini (Bike Ray 2). Lighthead only. Only £33 inc delivery from the USA.

It will be my 3rd P7, two D bins and a C bin. I don’t need that many lights, but I have bought several battery packs and light sets and lightheads for the price of one supposedly German or UK made light. For this money the Chinese lights are a bargain. I should add an XML T6 at some point. Quite like the look of the 2 x XML Inton.

I should add I splash a lot of money out on UK made bits. But on lights you’d have to be seriously rich to buy several again supposedly UK or German made lights.

Burger

Torchy
    Some great comparative work done on this website. He also has a dim (sorry) view of Magicshine which is explained on his website. He is candid enough to explain that he sells alternatives via his
    ebay presence.

rthomas17
    Free Member

@chakaping – this is the link to the helmet mount….

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/velcro-binding-band-for-sku-29489-30864-35cm-32754

And can someone tell me how you do that thing where you show the post you are replying to – like chakaping and Moe did with my post?

hammerite
    Free Member

Would this work as the ad says it will?

lens

chakaping
    Free Member

thanks rthomas – ordered them

to quote other users click the “quote” button above where you type your text in, paste in the text you want to quote, then click the button again to end quote

warpcow
    Free Member

hammerite – Member
    Would this work as the ad says it will?

A riding buddy has one and it changes the beam to a really noticable kind of letterbox shape. I personally would find it very annoying; probably better to fit a Magicshine ‘orange-peel’ reflector.

Northwind

Aye, a broader beam lens would be good but I don’t like the letterbox much, it just feels a bit odd to ride with. There are other lenses available, but more expensive and it all starts to add up.

footflaps

I bought a Magicshine from Dealextreme and the battery died after 2 days – just grafted a Lupine connector on and now use the light with an old Lupine Li-ion battery. Anyway – not the best quality control.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which is the best cheap chinese light? Magicshine SSC P7-C??’ is closed to new replies.