Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which is lighter? Tubeless or tubed?
  • Rip
    Free Member

I had to change the rear tyre on one of my bikes today. I've been running tubeless for a couple of years on three bikes with no punctures and one minor burp.

I top up with about 30ml of latex whenever I remember and can't hear any sloshing.

On taking the tyre off it was well coated with latex. I stripped it all off and weighed it.

120g versus 205g for my back-up Continental tube.

The 85g saving and no punctures is clearly worth the faff. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

True if using a non-ust tyre.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Based on my experience of peeling and weighing (slow day) thats 6-8 'recharges' of latex.

Rip
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

True if using a non-ust tyre.

I've just build a UST wheel using a 819 rim. I'll still run latex though.

oldgit
    Free Member

My tubeless was heavier. Mavic 819 on XT with UST tyres and bonty juice.
    Mavic 717 on Xt with Schwalbe Evo tyres and SS tubes are lighter.

I won't knock tubeless at all, but I no longer use it. It was great on my winter/training bike never a single issue.
    It was a faff on my race bike when I'd be forever changing tyres. Especialy so when turning up at a new venue and swapping tyres.

The thing that did it for me was a puncture in a 12 hour. Removing the valve and trying to get the tyre back on with an inner tube in the way took 40 minutes.
    Even so after that I kept it on my other bike until it was sold.

njee20
    Free Member

Tubeless is lighter for me, I change tyres sufficiently often (and have several sets that I know will just go straight up with a track pump), that I strip out the old latex, and I don't use UST rims or tyres.

tinsy
    Free Member

My tubes are 110g… but I did have some at 90g..

Never weighed my patches though..

When the fluid is er fluid, will in not weigh about the same as water, so 100ml = 100g?

karnali
    Free Member

tinsy what tubes are u using

ta

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

broadly, yes.

tinsy
    Free Member

its these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17342

or these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17343

Probably the later as I am a tight ar5e and looks like I had my weights a bit out.. Sure I had some conti ones that dipped under 100g once.

But dont want to get into a big tubes versus tubeless debate really, just thought I would post about my tube wieghts as it was the question, run what you like i say. (its alrady a bunfight for me on another thread today!!)

organic355
    Free Member

For me it would make no difference. I use continental MTB 26 lights and they are around 120g each

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which is lighter? Tubeless or tubed?’ is closed to new replies.