Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Which is cooler? Mountain bikes or motocross?
  • luked2
    Free Member

Please help!

My fourteen year old son has recently started going moto-x riding with a friend. He now claims that this is somehow "cooler" than MTB.

Can we have a straw poll of the STW hive intelligence to determine the truth or otherwise of this once and for all.

Thanks

chakaping
    Free Member

Well, the Fonz rode a motorbike, and he was cool, so your son is probably right.

Hope that helps.

CHB

they get muddier than most mtbers, so must be cooler.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Joe Parkin (has nice hair) likes both…tricky call! 😉

emac65
    Free Member

Gotta be Moto-x aint it & by a Cornish mile too … 😉

househusband

Many, if not most, DH riders do both – as do some top XC riders.

wwaswas

Moto-X.

Shouting 'parp-parp' while riding the MTB fools no-one.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure I'm not cool, so my opinion on the merits is unlikely to help much. 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

For a 14yr old I would say MotoX, noisy goes like stink at the flick of the wrist and girls know what motorbikes are. Good luck with trying to pay for it if he wants to start racing

CHB

….oh hang on. Just remembered. The ones round here drive those awful Toyota pick up things, so uncool. As long as they stick to muddy quarrys and don't ride down footpaths from the local "estate" then they are ok. Do they do titanium MX bikes?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

really depends on who you are talking too

Mountain bikes are cooler for me because we can go places moto x cant and its more fun because were in charge of the whole thing we power it and for me they look cooler

the big thing with moto x for the "new" generation is that its powered so less effort is needed and its faster which is also cool

so for me its MTB's

jackthedog
    Free Member

Neither is cool.

grumm
    Free Member

Look here's some cool MXers looking badass – I think they are down with Elbry so must be pretty cool

mafiafish
    Free Member

I always found motocross to be a bit redneck/chavvy where as MTB has a wider gamut of coolness. I'm 20 and when I was 14 all the cool types read MBUK (when it was still a bit of a lads mag) and played Tony Hawks and watched skateboarding and BMX. No one cared for Motocross. I think skateboarding and snowboarding are always going to be coolest but MTB is getting cooler all the time and just as Peaty et al made it cool for my age group the Athertons are appealing to the younger audience again.

PJ266
    Free Member

MX is definitely more cool.

Ive stopped even pretending that biking is cool now. Doesnt really bother me 😀

Grumm – As much as those guys are ****, the stuff they can do on a MX is ridiculously cool.

singlespeedstu

Both are for dorks.

spoon
    Free Member

can you do this on a mountain bike ? weeeeeeee not sure if it makes you cool or not though…

Onzadog
    Free Member

On a closed track, moto-X is cooler. Mountain biking is more fun and more sociable. Out in the countryside, pedal cycles are cooler than motorbicycles! We can do more and go more places.

lunge

I spent 3 hours this morning dressing in thermal leggings, wooly socks, a bright yellow jacket and a helmet with a bandana underneath all whilst riding a bike in wholy unsuitable conditions and getting covered in mud and ice.

In what world would that be concidered cool?!?! Even my parents and girlfriend laugh at the way a dress.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Moto-X is easily cooler.

Have you not read some of the posts on here? We're 99% geek

mooman
    Free Member

MX-ers for sure ..

Never mind. Us mtbers can still feel safe that we look cooler than the roadies though. Those guys just look like out and out dorks 😆

taxi25
    Free Member

Spoons video of Robbie Maddison clinched it for me!!!!!! MX can be way cooler than mtbing.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Id say motox is cooler, its obviously faster and far more hardcore and the jumps are big.

Never mind. Us mtbers can still feel safe that we look cooler than the roadies though. Those guys just look like out and out dorks

Id say the roadies often look cooler, at least it looks like there putting the effort in. Most mtbers look deicdedly uncool mincing round grizedale forest on their kitted out Orange 5's then driving home in the equally uncool middle management audi a4.

I think if you use pinkbike or sdh or similar then you get a seriously uncool look at mtbing.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

In the eyes of Joe Public it has to be MX, although, as stated, it has the redneck-chic thing going on, especially in the states.
    Can't muster enthusiasm for motorbikes in the slightest, personally.

MX is cool but I would say the enduro guys get my vote for coolness especailly the Paris/Dakar type events proper big bikes and big terrain. 🙂

luked2
    Free Member

Just back from a ride round the Black(*) run at Thetford in the dark and the rain with a different, older son, and another friend.

I can't believe that motox can possibly be cool. Riding around on bikes, just the three of us in the quiet of the forest, a thin drizzle seeping through the trees, the noise of my freewheel quietly ticking away, the rhythmic scratching from the disc brakes, and the occasional owl hoot – how can thrashing around with a noisy smelly lump of steel strapped to you possibly compare?

Now. Just need to convince son number 2 of this….

(*) "Black" refers to the colour of your bike and clothes at the finish, not how hard it is to ride.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I'm too old to know what cool is, but MX is way more fun than a bicycle can ever be. Much tougher on fitness too, which might sound odd given the engine.

coogan
    Free Member

There is nothing cool about MTB. At all.

If you want to see some cool MX(enduro)action the Dakar has started 10pm on eurosport

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thread closed.

singlespeedstu

I bet all you lot that think MX is cool have never been to a midweek AMCA MXclub night.

Cool is not a word you'd use to describe it. 😉

hora
    Free Member

What a daft thread. Motor cross without a doubt. If my son (to be) doesnt want to ride a mountain bike then fine. He can surf, ride motorcross and play the guitar (girl pulling activities) 😀

Have you all not noticed how geeky we all look? Take away the bike kit and add a chess board and we all look like Chess Club members..

gusamc
    Free Member

mx is much more fun.

I can't believe that mtb can possibly be cool. Riding around on bikes, just the three of us blasting through the forest, a thin drizzle seeping through the trees, the noise of my 50 horse2 stroke shrieking away, the huge roost spaying up from the rear, and the occasional wheelie – how can thrashing around in lycra with a lump of steel strapped to you possibly compare?

Mal-ec
    Free Member

The further away your standpoint the cooler something might appear.

Surfing is not about buffed bronzed bodies riding tropical tubes, its about baring your spotty white @rse in a godforsaken car park in February sleet.
    MX is mainly about how much injury you can sustain.
    MTBing is cool because it doesn't try + pretend to be anything else.

TheSwede
    Free Member

or

Wadya recon
    Just bitter I don't ride enduro anymore 😉

singlespeedstu

Swede.

That top picture looks like our local MX club out doing an MTB ride. 😛

TheSwede
    Free Member

Judging by the pic then stu, its a classic mx club. 😉

gravity-slave
    Free Member

the big thing with moto x for the "new" generation is that its powered so less effort is needed

That's what lots of people think, but I had my first taste of moto at a mates stag do and while having an absolute blast, I couldn't walk for about 3 days afterwards! Since I got a motocross bike my thigh, core and upper body strength has increased loads which helped me on the push bike too. It's not as aerobic though, sure.

I don't know if moto is 'cool' but it's bloody exciting! In terms of fashion, DH is definitely following moto, not the other way round though.

oldfart

I remenber when it was called scrambling ! Badger Goss ruled ! 😀

TheSwede
    Free Member

Yeah, I've spent the odd week here and there wobbling around like John Wayne who's hiding a full rack of snooker balls in his body cavity.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Which is cooler? Mountain bikes or motocross?’ is closed to new replies.