• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which is best tyre for speed and grip?
  • TimTom
    Free Member

Looking for a tyre that will offer enough grip on trails but offer speed on the flat. Also what would be the ideal tyre pressure, how is it calculated?

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

what kind of trails? and when you say speed on the flat, you mean flat trail or road?

the wetter and slippier the trail you need grip on, the more rolling resistance you're likely to get on the road

I like the following tyres;

Schwalbe Nobby nick. Good allrounder, I use then on the front. Sensitive to tyre pressure, especially in the lightweight evolution carcass
    Maxxis High Roller 60a. Fantastically gripy in a straight line and rails corners. I find it a bit grip-and-let-go for front tyre use so I use it on the rear only

this works for me in all but the muddies conditions but as you can guess, rolling resistance on flat hard trails or roads is comromised somewhat

if the trails you ride are hardpack I would look at Hutchinson Barracudas, very fast rolling but come unstuck quickly when it gets muddy

so depends on the trails really

as for tyre pressure, experiment. I generally run 30-35 psi. Basically as low as I can go with out the front starting to worm about or flatting out on the rim over roots too much

Hadge
    Free Member

Never mind saying a lot depends on the trails a lot also depends on the riders weight too! A friend of mine can run virtually slicks even in mud but weighing less than 9 stone and being a racing snake does help! Too many expect the same tyre perform the same no matter what weight bike or rider they are and it doesn't work that way at all. Come winter mud the only tyre that will get me up steep muddy climbs is a Trailraker yet I've seen the same lad do the same climb with hardly any tread on his tyre and it wasn't anything do with technique either. So bear that in mind too.

TimTom
    Free Member

Cheers for that,

Just sick of my types getting full of shit, and not being able to get it out until i hit the road. Feels like im having to work teice as hard. Sounds like the Barracudas might be the way forward.

TimTom
    Free Member

Hadge,

I just feel that choosing the wrong tyre will have a detrimental effect on enjoyment/performance. Also the way the bloody weather is id be changing tyres quicker than a F1 pit team.

Hadge
    Free Member

Totally agree with you TimTom. I'm lucky in that my local trail is just a mile away so riding on the road for that bit's ok and as soon as I get there if it's really muddy the Trailrakers mean I can get up all the climbs, have plenty of grip in the corners and actually "ride" all the way round instead of getting off and walking!!!

Trail centres are generally different as "most" drain very well so you can use one that gives you the best combination of grip and speed but again you have to try them and find which is best for you. I run Nobby Nics and they're ok but it's a never ending search find the best so good luck.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Depends on a whole lot of factors.

I took my bike round Bedgebury yesterday running on Kenda Small Block 8 (well worn at the back).

The bike was very quick in a straight line but was quite sketchy on the turns and absolutely lethal in the mud. Confidence in the corners? Forget it.

I'm going to switch to a Nevegal on the front next time for more cornering bite.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've tried a few including Racing Ralphs but the best compromise for all-weather grip, weight and speed I've used so far are Conti Speed King Supersonics run at about 50psi. They offer way more wet condition grip than the RR's did and they're also a bit lighter.

onandon
    Free Member

I vote for Maxxis Rendez @ 45-50 psi,not a tyre that usually gets a shout on here but I found it better than Racing Ralph's,fast freds and Nicks.

Cheap too 🙂

Joxster
    Free Member

Conti Rubber Queens 2.2

br
    Free Member

Front – Something as quick as a Nobby Nic, but a bit more edge grip?
    Rear – Racing Ralph running low pressures, just crap in mud

Mostly 30psi for me, although I run bigger tyres nearer 25psi as they just seem to work better.

ratadog

Panaracer Rampages – see write up in recent WMB – a bit on the heavy side but good rounded edges and good on just about everything including hardpack/ tarmac. Had them on 29er all winter and now sorting out a set for 26er as well. About 40psi, but I am a Clydesdale.

In the end its individual preference as the numerous "what tyre" threads show. Having said that certain tyres come up again and again and that's a fair guide.

juan
    Free Member

moononastick tyres. They are very good.

Daffy

Conti Speed Kings are pretty good if you get the 2.1s in supersonic/protection form.

Kenda Small Block 8s also cope remarkably well in mud, and roll superbly on the flat. I almost died on wet grass though…

trail_rat
    Free Member

been riding all winter on 1.8 panaracer muds – but i ride on loamy soil and roots mostly = which when wet goes muddy and slidy on any tire….

all summer i use 1.95 small block 8s – tempted to try conti speedkings as mates swear by em – but im a stone heavier – and about 5 inches taller

Daffy

TR – just use the pro-tec version with a DH tube. You'll be fine.

TimTom
    Free Member

Thanks for all advice,

Much Appreciated.

juan
    Free Member

For XC I would put pair of big betty or some fat albert (if you can get the old ones in 2.35). I have tried big betty front and muddy mary on the rear, but not that keen on that.
    For a bit more engaged stuff (such as enduros) I found a larsen on the rear and a high roller on the front (2.35 super tacky or at least 60a).
    You can put a pair of minion front on both wheels (just turn the rear one the "wrong" way around).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which is best tyre for speed and grip?’ is closed to new replies.