Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which iphone cycle computer app?
  • Topov
    Free Member

Been using Endomondo for a year or so, which I’ve been happy with, it’s always close to my Cateye strada in terms of distance, speed, etc.

I have of late been considering buying a Garmin, which obviously also have navigation functions. However, I’ve recently seen the Viewranger app and was wondering if anyone has been using this on their phone? On paper it looks good, and at £2.99 (extra for the relevant maps I know) it would be a hell of a saving on say, a Garmin 800.

Cheers.

bigG
    Free Member

The key challenge you’ll face using your iPhone in that manner is the drain on battery life. Expect no more than a couple of hours from a full charge if you’re expecting to view the stats as you go.

I use mapmyride or sometimes cyclemeter. They run in the background and provide most stats that a cyclist needs. The mapmyride app lets you create routes on line and then access them through the app. Or do the ride, record it and upload.

None of these are a replacement for a Garmin 800 IMHO

thehustler
    Free Member

Personally I like the motionX app but Imapmyride seems to work pretty well too,

thehustler
    Free Member

oh and i used it london to paris which was alot more than a couple of hours a day

M6TTF
    Free Member

I use runkeeper – leave phone in camelbak and then see where I went and stats when get home. Works a treat

legolam
    Free Member

Cyclemeter. Doesn’t drain the battery too much.

hammyuk
    Free Member

MotionX is good for viewing due to the maps available and battery drain is low.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Viewranger is great for navigation
    Recent changes to myviewranger website also make programming new routes a 5 minute job
    Regular updates bring new features

Turning off wi-fi greatly increases battery life with viewranger and other similar apps

A 2 hour ride will use approx 30% of battery from full charge with screen lit and displaying map the whole time (iPhone 4)

tyredbiker
    Free Member

iMapmyride is v good and I use the sustrans app to draw my routes and get approx distance and timings before cycling or if I inevitably forget to put the other one on. The latter is v good in terms of highlighting key cycling routes and showing OS maps too! And it’s free!

hilton83
    Free Member

i use the viewranger app and i love it, i highlight my route on an os map and also plot the route on the app, i leave my iphone in my pocket with the app open but the screen locked and just check it for my exact location at tricky junctions, battery lasts me a good 4/5 hours or more, turn the screen brightness down etc etc.

Taff
    Free Member

I have endomondo and mapmyride and find the latter very woolly. I also have another app called Bike Hub which is a Garmin type app.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which iphone cycle computer app?’ is closed to new replies.