Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which Hydration pack ??
  • younggeoff

My trusty old Hawg is dying a death so I’m after a new hydration pack, shortlist at the moment is a new Hawg, a Dakine Amp25 and a Dakine Nomad. The Nomad looks a bit heavy for all day rides, anyone any experience of the Amp.

Cheers

tragically1969
    Free Member

I was looking at the Osprey packs the other day, very nice and fit really well, thats what will be getting my money when i have to replace my Camelbag Mule, which is crap….

HermanShake
    Free Member

If you can find a Berghaus Mach pack, they’re very awesome. Waterproof, 2 bladder slots, and sizes like 7+2 or 15+2. The compression zip means it can be very low profile or carry a remarkable amount. Helmet mesh thing which is stored in a tiny pocket also can add a lot to the carrying capacity; I got a pizza and a multipack of crisps in the mesh alone! I think Cotswolds had them for £20.

Onzadog
    Free Member

There seems to be a lot of love for the Wingnut packs. I’ll be having a closer look at them when I’m at the bike show.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

After a seperated shoulder a couple of years ago I’d started to really hate wearing a backpack … until I tried a Wingnut. If you can justify the extra £, I’d certainly take a look. I believe Spokebloke over at spokeshirts is now selling them. They do look slightly odd but are fantastic.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Had a look today and dropped all the kit from my MULE into the Wingnut. It swallowed the lot with ease and still felt better on my back. Not as many hooks/pockets/pouches and I’ve still not decided whether to have the hose coming up from the waist band or over the shoulder. However, I still decided to drop the wedge and take one home. I almost managed to put the actual MULE inside the hyper 3.0. Probably could have got away with the smaller one but I already have the 3.0l bladder so that was decision made really.

Cheers Al.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

I’d recommend the Osprey Raptor, I think its the best pack I’ve ever owned and its certainly the most comfortable with plenty of space and its very stable on the downhills.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Anyone know if there is anywhere in Scotland that stocks Wingnut bags? I’d love to try one before buying, just as they look and must feel so different to normal bags.

tang
    Free Member

wingnut here, weight on hips far more comfortable. ergon looks good. also looking forward to the new camelbak bladder.

pypdjl
    Free Member

I got a wingnut recently, have been very impressed with it so far.

flatfish
    Free Member

Wingnut here now. I still like my mule for a short blat through the woods but my enduro wingnut really excels on long day rides, in fact it’s a bit too big unless your taking a picnic along.

bigbob38
    Free Member

Bought the nomad yesterday at ‘the cycle show’ for £60….
    Looks good to me!
    ps. cycle show not too full of things to look at……IMO

petrieboy

Can’t believe nobody has suggested “a massive one” yet

ahwiles
    Free Member

how about a massive one?

one big enough to write ‘TJ get bent!’ on so it’s visible from space.

(Decathlon bags are cheap and good enough for something that spends most of it’s life covered in mud)

roper
    Free Member

I have been using a HAWG for about three years. I use it on my mt bike and for trail running. I must say it is almost perfect for comfort but stability too. It wraps up tightly when there’s not much in it, but still keeps everything together and stops the contents jigging about. I think partly due to the pivot point at each shoulder. It is also supportive with the 3ltr bladder full, spare shoes, jacket, clothes, camera and food. It has enough compartments to store all of your smaller bits, without having to rummage about and to give easy access. I can even use the side pockets whilst running and keeping most of the weight on my back.

vondally
    Free Member

For what it is worth i would recommend

ergon backpack bd1 with flexi link, takes all the weight on the hips and is great if you pick it up off the bike it feels heavy but on it really works well.

Wingnuts, great BUT if you overstuff then they can cut in.

Osprey Talon 22 I did not get on with AT all, wrecked my shoulder, disappointing. Got the 33 for walking better but other options out there

Alpkit goudrdon, light waterproof cheap comfortable, mine has survived ryan air, preyenees and picos mountains. Recomended.

luked2
    Free Member

Water bottle, FTW!

supertacky
    Free Member

+1 for decathlon bags.

I’ll not be wasting my money on calemback in future.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i got an ’09 hawg and it weighs a kilo unloaded. i get used to it on long day rides, but it seems massively over built.

luked2
    Free Member

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which Hydration pack ??’ is closed to new replies.