Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • which hubs – hope or Nuke Proof?
  • steve-t
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new set of wheels build by CRC. Gonna be Mavic 719 rims but i’m trying to decide between the Nuke Proof Generator hubs or Hope Pro2s. the hope’s are marginally lighter (about 30gr pair), the Nuke’s marginally cheaper (£20 pair) so not much in it. plenty’s been said about the hopes and i’ve also run a set myself, but anyone got anything to say about the Nuke Proof ones?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Nope, but hopes are UK made, with a history of excellent customer service and widely availiable spares.

Need i say more 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Have heard the Nukeproof ones are very good indeed by a couple of people that have owned them.

You can’t argue with the backup provided for and by Hope though. I wouldn’t be at all gutted if I owned some Nukeproof hubs, but for a difference of only £20, I’d still buy the Hope’s, primarily as I know if I ever changed forks/frame I can just swap out the adapters. Or I could sell the wheels on for about 80% of their new price as Hope hubs hold their value pretty well! That and I am familiar with the internals of a Hope hub. I’m sure the Nukeproof’s aren’t all that different inside, but I’ve taken apart a couple of Hopes so I’m already familiar with them.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I agree with all the above having 2 sets of wheel with hope hubs (one set 3 yrs old and still going VERY strong)!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Plus you get the great clickety buzz sound from the Hope free wheel

retro83
    Free Member

Heard nukeproof ones are good, however I will be buying Hope again purely based on the excellent customer service I received from them

steve-t
    Free Member

looks like it’s Hope then. just wondered as CRC don’t have pairs in black/silver/gunmetal so it’s waiting however long until some come in. where as the Nuke Proofs are there now! patience, patience.

foxyrider
    Free Member

“Patience is a virtue, but virtue can hurt you ”

steve-t
    Free Member

patience is something i appear to be missing! it’d help if i know how long it’d take for the hopes to come in…

glenp
    Free Member

Hope freewheel sounds like its broken too my ears – terrible irritating noise! Almost as bad as King. Give me a silent freewheel any day. Regular Deore is ok with me.

momo

I’ve got an 8 year old set of hope bulbs on my bike, still as sweet as the day I bought them, not had to change the bearings yet either. Other than an occasional regrease of the freewheel they’ve required no maintenance whatsoever.

foxyrider
    Free Member

can’t you get them from somewhere else if its just a matter of a few quid?

steve-t
    Free Member

the price difference between CRC and merlin is £15. hmm,

Tiboy

have you tried stif?

steve-t
    Free Member

can’t see custom wheels on there. do i need to ring?

Tiboy

they did have a large selection of prebuilt wheels a while back, might be worth a ring, pretty sure they do custom builds, and they have the hubs in stock.

steve-t
    Free Member

cool, i’ll call ’em. the only pre-built ones on there use the DT rims.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh ya going for fully built wheel then – thats diffrerent – I got some from merlin – nice wheels still true as I the day I got them apart from a few dings 😉

steve-t
    Free Member

I’ve got a set that CRC built a few years ago and are still solid, so was gonna use them again if i could. can’t if they haven’t got the bits though! 🙁

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Having had pro II, bulbs and a nukeproof, i wish they still made bulbs.

Nukeproof freehub body seems even more cheeselike than a pro II, Rode 10 days of whistler bike park and a hammer was needed to get the cassette off, and filing burrs to get one back on.

Nukeproof makes a similar horrid din to a pro II.

DT440 are a bit quieter.

momo

…i wish they still made bulbs.

Definately, a far supperior hub in my eyes, either that or introduce a proII with a Ti freehub body like the bulb had.

mboy
    Free Member

DT440 are a bit quieter.

A BIT?

DT440’s are almost silent! My current DT440 rear hub is a load quieter than my old BULB’s, which in turn were a load quieter than a Pro 2 is.

FWIW, yes, I too believe the BULB’s were a superior hub than the Pro 2 is. The freehub on the BULB was just beefier, and had more engagement points. Yes it was heavier, but quieter and stronger. DT440’s for the win though (but not if you’re paying RRP, hell no!) 😉

RepacK
    Free Member

Hope for me – love the clicking sound!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

mboy, they get louder as time goes on, quieten down again when you regrease. No stupid pawls or tiny springs to lose when you do take them to bits. Agree about the rrp, crazy!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘which hubs – hope or Nuke Proof?’ is closed to new replies.