Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Which hitch bike rack to get
  • ybsurf
    Free Member

Hi need to upgrade my sportrack basic rack for a long road trip and don’t want frame contact on my carbon frame bike. Looking right now at thule t2 kuat nv swagman semi 2.0 and rockymounts. Need to fold flat no frame contact and tilt away will be a bonus which one is better? Or any other Im missing Price other than the rockymounts are pretty similar.
    Thanks

BearBack
    Free Member

I’ve had a semi for years…
    Good rack at the price point end of the spectrum. It wasn’t as solid as the Yakima hook-up I had before that (although the yakima broke)
    As a ‘does the job’ rack its been great. I would suggest oiling/waxoyl the inside of the rack when you build it though to stop it rusting. Summer wise no issue, but if you have it on a salted road, it’ll rust without extra protection.
    I like the kuat’s repair stand but that’s pricier than the Swagman.
    I dont like the thule t2 .. it looks even more rudimentary tan the swagman and no bonus ‘leave the car for 5 minute’ locks.
    Rockymounts, no experience
    Money no object 2 bike rack…1upusa
    Price being equal (swagman should be at least $150 less than the others), I’d probably shoot for the Kuat..if the revised 2.0 rack or even teh new sherpa for the all alloy construction.
    Check NSMB and pinkbike for reviews of all of these.
    Oh yes, if you have a 2″ hitch, get a 2″ rack. 1.25″ is the weak link imo
    I haven’t changed from my Swagman semi though and I probably won’t unless I find a way to get a 1up rack imported.

BearBack
    Free Member

Lastly.. go somewhere like rackattack that sells them all, as they all fit differently. You should be able to try each one and your decision might be swayed by whether or not you can open your tail gate with a bike in the rack in tilt position on your car.
    I can on 1 car, not on the other and they will all sit at different heights and different distances from the bumper

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Which hitch bike rack to get’ is closed to new replies.