Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which hire car? Bike, bike bag, 4 people and luggage
  • stevego
    Free Member

Travelling around england with a 29-er in an EVOC bike bag, wife me and two kids. We are planning on hiring a car in brighton and driving to manchester (via a few places). Any advice on a suitable hire car which will take all of us?

We are coming from (and returning to) Australia, I’ve got the bike because I’m doing the transpyr prior to coming to blightly.

An option I suppose is to buy a cheap set of roof bars and strap the bike in bag onto the roof on these. Not tried this with a bike in a bag though.

Any advice?

Cheers
    Steve

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Planning to ride it in the UK?

My first thought would be to stash it, enjoy the family part and then pick it up for the return.
    Probably going to need something MPV/faux x4 style to get the height to stand it up other wise all the bags will end up on top of it.
    A quick scan of Hertz would suggest a galaxy or something similar. It would probably make the journey less stressful…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also remember Manchester has a train direct into the terminal so your end point can be a bit further out. It’s actually easier and closer than the hire car drop off which is a bus ride away (buss and bike bag not that much fun…)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stwhannah

A berlingo will do it. When we hired one the company made us take the seat we took out (to get the bike in) with us, which reduced luggage space but was still manageable.

stevego
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, we need the car as we are travelling around, visiting the wife’s relatives. Bike would come in useful as a handy escape option, and a chance to ride some areas I haven’t in the past.
    Will be travelling Europe by train also so it might end up getting freighted back to Aus from San Sebastian at the end of the race, just to avoid hassle though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your doing Summer Eurostar then you have to book the bike on top I think and it’s not guaranteed to get on the same train as you (AFAIK) For freight I used transglobalexpress.com for a DHL shipment. Easy and simple. By then there is a chance you will need a visa for France and Spain too 😉 but if that happens the pound crashing might make for a cheap holiday

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which hire car? Bike, bike bag, 4 people and luggage’ is closed to new replies.