Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Which Helmet Joystick matches a MaxxD Bar Light?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Looking for a helmet light which is a good match for my incoming Exposure MaxxD bar light

There seems quite a choice

Ta

Yak

Joystick.

(I think you answered the question in your question 😉 )

bonesetter
    Free Member

I think I’m getting confused here – looking there seemed to be a few different models of the Joystick – am I just seeing things?

tuboflard

Joystick or Diablo. Diablo is a bit “floody” though, the earlier Joysticks had a bit more of a spot beam which worked better for me.

tuboflard

Where you looking? Only one version though a few options as to what they come bundled with usually. Current version is MK11.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I was looking on Evans. Seemed a few ‘Joysticks’ there with varying prices and options as you say

njee20
    Free Member

I personally think the Joystick is a bit dim compared to the Maxx-D, I prefer the Diablo.

bonesetter
    Free Member

njee – yeah, this seems the hive’s consensus on searching

Isn’t it a case though of the JS/Diablo’s spot only working when you need it – ie when turning your head/bends etc?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

As njee.

When I tried a MaxxD/Joystick combo I found the Joystick light got ‘lost’ in the light of the MaxxD. The Diablo works much better with the MaxxD for me.

iainc

current Joystick (Mk11) is back to being more of a spot. I have it paired with a MaxxD Mk9, though until last week was with a MaxxD Mk8. Works a treat. Diablo has more punch, but in my case, I can feel the weight of it on my head, so prefer lighter Joystick. On straight stuff, you won’t see the joystick effect at all, at the MaxxD chucks out so much light, however once you get onto slow twisty stuff it comes into it’s own.

Gotama
    Free Member

Just picked up a new Exposure axis which seems quite punchy. Its a nice spotty light as well which I find works well with the floody sixpack (albeit a four year old model) on the bars.

DrP

Take your pick….

As per above, I find the Axis matches the Maxx-D (new and old) really well.

My new (Mk9) maxx-D has only been used for one ride, and it’s CLEARLY noticably brighter than the Mk4 – as such, with it on reflex mode, I didn’t feel the need to flick the Axis onto high setting the whole ride.
    The Axis is only slightly heavier than the Joystick, but you won’t notice it. It’s a fair bit brighter too (but this may be the fact it’s newer, adn teh Joysticks are Mk7.

DrP

chakaping
    Free Member

current Joystick (Mk11) is back to being more of a spot

Enough so for road use, would you say?

pictonroad

I’ve been idly considering a light upgrade, looking at all the new stuff it seems Exposure have discontinued the ‘medium’ setting on their smaller light.

It’s either high or low, so you get, 1hr or 24hrs.

No use for me, and I assume most others. Surely most rides are around the 2-3hr mark?

Unless I’m missing the point I can’t find an Exposure helmet light that will stay on for my weekly 3hr night ride.

Older diablo and joysticks have a 3hr setting.

iainc

Enough so for road use, would you say?

I haven’t tried it on the road, but the beam is very similar pattern to the Joysticks of 4 years ago. Much better than the last few iterations IMO. The Mk10 one got 4 stars from Road.cc and this one is better….

wiggles
    Free Member

Low for the ups high for the downs. You won’t be going downhill for over an hour in a 3hr ride.

iainc

pictonroad – they are still high, medium and low, scroll to the vids for Diablo, Joystick etc :

here

STATO
    Free Member

I’ve been idly considering a light upgrade, looking at all the new stuff it seems Exposure have discontinued the ‘medium’ setting on their smaller light.

I think your misreading, the info on the site is max and min run times. The lights are still programmable to have 3 modes if you want that (and at different brightnesses).

EDIT: Its not clear though so can see why that might be peoples thought.

sandwicheater

Puts Drp on the list next to Johnny two sheds and chappy three ponds.

chakaping
    Free Member

I haven’t tried it on the road, but the beam is very similar pattern to the Joysticks of 4 years ago. Much better than the last few iterations IMO. The Mk10 one got 4 stars from Road.cc and this one is better….

Thanks.

It was that road.cc review which prompted my Q actually, as the version they had sounded more floody than I would want.

Ideally I’d like a Strada, but they’re a bit spendy for my current budget.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Should have mentioned both my MaxxD and Diablo are going on for four years old, sounds like the Joystick has moved on quite a bit.

STATO
    Free Member

Found an image for Pictonroad, shows why they cant put a value for medium, as there are many options.

Not my image.

pictonroad

I think your misreading, the info on the site is max and min run times. The lights are still programmable to have 3 modes if you want that (and at different brightnesses).

EDIT: Its not clear though so can see why that might be peoples thought

It isn’t clear.

but if that’s the case, new joystick, xmas present to myself? hmmm

cheers for the clarification. I’m going in!!

iainc

^^^ still some at discounted price too 🙂

at Evans

pictonroad

Purchased….

Best get some stuff in the classifieds to pay for it! Anyone after a 97 Zaskar? 🙂

jonnyboi

Very torn on the joystick, got as far as the checkout then bottled it.

Not convinced it will sit well with the sixpack, if I want a decent run time I’m guessing that it will have to be fairly dim.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I was thinking about buying a joystick but tried the latest model a couple of weeks ago and found it underpowered compared to a maxxd on the bars. It did nothing and was completely unnoticeable unless the maxxd was turned right down. I’m sticking with my amazing gloworm x2 on my lid even though I hate having a wire.

STATO
    Free Member

I was thinking about buying a joystick but tried the latest model a couple of weeks ago and found it underpowered compared to a maxxd on the bars.

I think most use a joystick for filling in the side when cornering. Too much light to the front would just surely white out whatever is infront of you?

iainc

I think most use a joystick for filling in the side when cornering. Too much light to the front would just surely white out whatever is infront of you?

+1

if you have a MaxxD or similar chucking out 2000 lumens plus, most helmet lights will wash out when pointing in same direction as the bars. What they will do though is fill the depth perspective of bumps, rocks etc which get flattened by the bar light. As soon as you get onto twisty stuff and you are looking in a different direction to where the bars are pointing, the Joystick (or any other helmet light) starts doing it’s job

DrP

Prictonroad..
    (Chuckle)

As shown above there’s loads of settings, which you can then toggle the h/m/l within..

I have mine on h/l, usually 2/6 hour setting, as having to toggle through h/m/l/h is just too much for me…

What did you go for? Joystick?

DrP

andysredmini
    Free Member

I know what it was supposed to do it just wasn’t powerful enough to do it. I rarely use my lights on full power as I still like to feel like I’m night riding but the joystick did nothing unless the maxxd was turned right down. I suppose it’s a positive comment for the maxxd more than a negative for the joystick I’m just glad I didn’t bother buying one.

iainc

I guess it’s all about lumens contrast then ? The current Joystick is 850 lumens, which if paired up with a Maxxd of a few yrs ago, which was around 1250 lumens, would be balanced with similar outputs.

All that said. I have found riding without the helmet light, even with a powerful bar light, less fun and a bit limiting on depth perception (and seeing round corners) 🙂

onehundredthidiot

My lights only really need two setting climb and bright.

I rode last night with the joystick on dimest setting on climbs then put both on full blast for the downs. I can get about 6 rides out of this before I need to charge them(9hrs). Which is quite good given the temperature on last night’s ride dropped to -8.

Rubber_Buccaneer

As per above, I find the Axis matches the Maxx-D

Me too. When I bought my Axis it was the cheapest/lightest model with tap if that takes your fancy

bonesetter
    Free Member

My current is 2.2K bar, 1K lid which is good for full on

I wouldn’t want anything less on the lid

In fact, reason for change is I am going faster with older eyes so running out of light

The Axis seems much more suited, for me, to the MaxxD

1.5 hours on high gives me a slight shake though. Can see me patting my head and tapping the bar at every breather

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t see me ever shelling out for a big exposure bar light, I only ever use the diablo on my lid now, nowt on bars, despite having a few powerful wired sets I could use, that are just as powerful as the likes of a maxx D.

Only feel I need to see where I’m going, not the ground immediately in front of me.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ I like the sound of that, it sounds organic, and especially as I have never done it before 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Which Helmet Joystick matches a MaxxD Bar Light?’ is closed to new replies.