Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which headtourch??
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Alpkit Gamma
    Petzel Myo Xp
    fenix HP10

will be used for fell running?

Stoner
    Free Member

The alpkit beats the Pezel hands down and is half the price.

The alpkit is bright enough but does noticeably dim when the batteries start giving way. The red light on the back of the alpkit battery pack is useful for the road stretch home.

If you have the money for it and take running seriously enough you may want to consider an ayup head unit on a head strap with the small 3 hr battery.

that fenix is pretty expensive from the UK. maybe something from deal extreme might work – whatever you do, Id get one with the battery pack on the back of the head band – most DX ones have the battery on the back of the lamp.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.906

grumm
    Free Member

Alpkit is superb for the money. Miles better than a Petzl I've got that cost 3 times as much – I think they may have improved the LEDs now on the Petzl but I'm not sure.

BadlyWiredDog

The latest Petzls have brighter LEDs, have a look at the latest version Petzl Tikka XP which has a useful diffuser on the main beam, so you can get more of a spread than a spot if you want to.

The Alpkit Gamma is great value for money and does work well, easy to switch on by mistake in your pack though, but if you're on a budget, it's very impressive and the red LED on the back of the battery box is a neat feature.

spoon
    Free Member

I've got a myo XP and its **** bright, I run at night in the mountains with zero street light and it lights up the whole trail.

The fenix looks pretty good though, if a bit bulky, the myo xp is pretty compact.

Check out black diamond as well as silva

http://www.buachaille.com/c3-31-0-0-0-1/Head-Torches/

I also run with the flashing mode its plenty bright enough and the battery lasts for ever

Smarty
    Free Member

Have you considered Hope adventure range.

paule
    Free Member

Alpkit is very good for running, but the beam is a bit too much of a spot at times. Not a major problem, but can limit your speed on tricky descents. I think I'm going to try and make a diffuser for the bottom of the lense on mine, just to spread the light out across the floor a little.

In its favour, it has a green LED, which meany you can read a map at night without losing your night vision and, unlike the usual trick of using red light to read by, you can still see contour lines.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which headtourch??’ is closed to new replies.