Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which headset?
  • cam1275
    Free Member

I've just got a turner 5 spot and don't know what headset I need
    help!!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

1 & 1/8" I'm guessing.

I've got an Orbit extreme pro going spare, brand new.

£45 delivered

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Orbit extreme pro's are £20 delivered from on-one at the moment.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am biased and get hopes – the OEM orbits have a history of not supplying all the seals from my experience 🙂 hence early failure.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Chris King – Last headset you'll ever buy.

takisawa2

Pick up a nice King s/h.
    If you want new then a Cane Creek S3/S4. For what they cost simply excellent.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cane Creek S3 in mine. Don't waste your money on a King.

stumpy01

Cane Creek S3 – fitted one to my old bike at least 3 yrs ago, but probably more. Recently had it swapped over to my On One.
    Take it to bits every now & again (6 months, perhaps), clean the grease and put new stuff in although it's never really needed this. Bearings still lovely & smooth and can presumably just get new cartridges when these finally die. Only cost about £25.

sofatester
    Free Member

Don't waste your money on a King

Define waste?

As the last CK headset i bought was in 2000 and its still going on the original bearings. Not bad for £80 😉

cp

FSA XL2 or Extreme Pro from on-one

sobriety
    Free Member

My experience of FSA is that they die after about 12 months, have had 3, got a 6 year old king that works perfectly…

shedfull
    Free Member

I've just ordered a Cane Creek S3 as it has replaceable sealed bearings. When it arrives, I shall remove the bearings, prise off the seals, ram them full of marine grease, replace the seals and fit the headset to the bike. When the bearings die, I'll be able to replace them with bearings from a bearing supplier, which will be a fraction of the price.

monksie_
    Free Member

If you go to the Cane Creek website and type in the bike manufacturer, model name and year of manufacture it will tell you what headset fits your bike.

cam1275
    Free Member

I was looking at hopes my mate raves about them but I'm not sure whether I should get an intergrated headset or a threadless headset.

Northwind

Just get whatever FSA you like the shape of, other than the absolute cheapest models- there's no difference at all in performance or quality between my Hope and my Orbit MX, just a 100% price hike. I just knocked mine out of its 3rd frame, that'd be a year and a half I think, and not even the slightest sign of deterioration, almost no muck's got past the looser outer shield and as far as I can tell none's got in through the actual bearing seal.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

King for something very lovely, and good

Cane Creek S8 for £25 for everything else (Ebay)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which headset?’ is closed to new replies.