Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which HD action camera.. GoPro, Sony HDRAS15, veho???
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Im thinking of getting a HD camera for filming on my bike, surfing etc..
    Was initially thinking a gopro but theres a new sony camera coming out..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HDRAS15-Action-Camcorder-Wi-Fi/dp/B0093X37JG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347952751&sr=8-1

and theres a few other makes which i have no idea about.
    I quite like the idea of shooting some 60 fps stuff too.
    Thoughts / advice??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My Go Pro Works. Thats about the end of it really.
    Though for more info
    Lots of mounting options
    HD quality
    Light
    Protected
    Reliable
    New II has the WiFi/Bluetooth thing which allows you to remote start stop and check what the camera sees.
    The main reason I like the Go Pro though is that its always there either on the lid or on the bike or chest mount. Not in the bag or in it’s case etc. It’s designed for use.

trout
    Free Member

I Have a Go Pro he hero 2 going for sale in two weeks time
    either on here or evilbay .

cloudnine
    Free Member

troutie.. ygm

kayak23

Gopro. No other camera offers such versatility and mounting options. Nuff said…

Muke
    Free Member

Still think that Gopro is the way to go but quick observation question. Why do a lot of peoples GP footage not look as good (Quality rather content) as the stuff on GP website ?. Is it tweaked to make it look better,different settings, lighting conditions etc etc ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Render and Upload settings possibly – and we are not as creative

Flaperon

Muke – the lens on the camera is tiny, so the footage on the GoPro website is generally shot in bright sunny conditions. Another thing that helps is to set the camera to the widest angle for the resolution you’re shooting in.

Would advise against GoPro – their customer service is appalling. Many people (including myself) have been waiting over a year for features promised at launch in upcoming firmware updates and the WiFi bacpac has been a disaster. I suspect they’ve made a fundamental design cock up somewhere but aren’t prepared to admit it.

Newer stuff like the Sony has the WiFi built in and it just works.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just been offered a delkin wingman hd for £135 at my lcs.. only problem is there is no external on off switch on the housing and you have to remove it from the housing to change modes.. will this be a royal pain in the arse?

kayak23

Why do a lot of peoples GP footage not look as good (Quality rather content) as the stuff on GP website ?.

Can be down to hosting I think. On a free Vimeo account for example, you’re allowed 500mb upload per week. If you make a video above that threshold, then you have to compress the hell out of it in order to be able to upload and them to host it.
    The exception to this comes when you start paying for hosting, then, you can get much better quality videos online.

The videos directly on the Gopro site are amazing and show just what the camera is capable of. If you watch the Youtube version of it then the quality is not quite so good I thought but I guess they have the money to pay for swanky hosting quality innit…

Despite the compression, I always feel Vimeo is just the better host, compared to say Youtube and most definitely Facebook who make everything look like an early 90’s mobile phone video… 😯

kayak23

you have to remove it from the housing to change modes.. will this be a royal pain in the arse?

For me, yes, a right, royal pain. Imagine doing that in the freezing wet and cold… Nah…
    There is a market leader for a reason.

soundninjauk

Myself and a mate both have GoPros, and we think they’re ace. Totally waterproof, and being able to change options without taking them out of the housings is a definite plus.

With regards to customer service, I had a part of the handlebar mount break for me, I took a picture and sent it to GoPro customer service. Within a few days they’d sent me a replacement part in the mail (from the US) no questions asked.

I’m not going to say they’re perfect, but the fact that they’re essentially completely waterproof goes a long way in my book.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

IIRC go-pro do a lot of editing to make their films look as good as they do… they employ pro film editors and massive computers – no punter is going to get anything looking as good.

spacemonkey

@Muke: I’ve asked the same question in previous threads as we’re looking to get an HD 2 Pro. Their promo vids are amazing yet all the YT/Vimeo clips are pretty unremarkable. Maybe it is a weather thing? Or perhaps file size/compression limits etc? If the latter, then I reckon for home use, ie.. showing off to family/friends, should be fine.

I’m probably going to get a Vimeo PRO account soon – not sure if it allows bigger/better upload quality/size etc. If so, maybe that’s the way to go online?

bigjim

Their promo vids are amazing yet all the YT/Vimeo clips are pretty unremarkable

I’d say its rad pro riders in amazing places with professional production and weather vs IT consultant mincing over braking bumps at trail centre in the rain with no editing.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Their promo vids are amazing yet all the YT/Vimeo clips are pretty unremarkable. Maybe it is a weather thing?

It’s definitely got a lot to do with available light and filming/framing. Lots of the promo footage is filmed in amazing conditions, with the best athletes in the best locations.

I have some footage from a bright clear days on skis and the original footage off camera footage is stunning on a big TV. Same cam, overcast day, results OK but not mid blowing. This is no different to any compact video camera I have used though.

druidh
    Free Member

On a related point – are any of these action cameras NOT wide angle? I can appreciate that WA lenses make it more likely you capture the subject but I hate the way they make drop-offs to the side look like cliffs and generally distort the image.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

GoPro angle can be reduced in settings.

Full 170º, Medium 127º, Narrow 90º FOV in 1080p

spacemonkey

Trout, did you get my email BTW?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which HD action camera.. GoPro, Sony HDRAS15, veho???’ is closed to new replies.