Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which hardtail to keep?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Ti456 or Scandal 26er?

Other bike is a Pitch Pro

Can’t justify keeping 2 hardtails never mind 3 bikes

the_lecht_rocks

ti 456.
    comfy but direct.
    trail thrasher / bomber or xc jey.
    ti is best.

tinsy
    Free Member

Ti keeps its looks, but from a riding point of view, it would depend how you got the scandal and the 456 built up as to what one crosses over with the pitch or in fact with each other.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Well Pitch and 456 both have 140mm forks, Scandal has 120mm so I suppose the 456 should go but it is such a nice bike!

tinsy
    Free Member

You already know the answer, but I can see why its a gut wrencher..

poppa
    Free Member

Swap the forks, sell the Scandal?

Keep the Ti and get rid of the Tin Can.

tinsy
    Free Member

FWIW I got an old Tinbred, it was polished up by the previous owner, its absolutely unmarked still, despite as much abuse as I get time to give it.
    If it was painted it would look shit by now…. years down the line the scandal will look rough, the 456 wont… but its still the 456 that overlaps the most even if you swapped the forks (I dont get why anyone runs them on short forks anyhow).

Sell the Pitch and the Scandal?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Nah need to keep 2 bikes as now and again they get used by a couple of bikeless mates. Also the Pitch would be overkill for some of the riding I do but I want to keep it to hopefully improve downhill and take it to the Alps next year. Whichever hardtail I keep will also double as a commuter with road wheels on it. The head says sell the 456, the heart says sell the Scandal. Putting the 120mm forks on the 456 might be an idea though…

poppa
    Free Member

How much does the Tinbred frame weigh compared to the Scandal? If you are keeping it for jey-type use surely thats the important parameter?

Just checked On-One website – they look approximately the same weight. Keep the Tinbred – as light as the scandal, can swap components to make it XC orientated if you want, and it’s a thing of beauty. Unless you need the money of course, in which case sell the Tinbred!

the_lecht_rocks

120mm forks on the 456 will over-steepen the HA imo.
    at 140mm, the bike tracks perfectly, steep enough head angle for fast singletrack and climbing ability. esp. with no stem stack.

poppa
    Free Member

I thought 456’s were designed for 4-6″ forks tho?

the_lecht_rocks

poppa : they are. at 140mm (5.5″) it’s perfectly ‘weighted’ for trail riding.

ianpinder
    Free Member

if its a large i’ll be interested on buying the ti 456 off you

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Ti456 is an 18″

ianpinder
    Free Member

to small, thats a shame…. would of been a nice finishing uni present to myself, well that and my new nicolai and holiday to the alps…. how many finishing uni presents can you buy yourself?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

3! 🙂

vinnyeh

surely out of those 3 only one is a bike for life?

If you had to drop to just one bike which one of the three would you want it to be. Hmm, thought so…

mk1fan
    Free Member

surely out of those 3 only one is a bike for life?

Yeah, the Pitch.

the_lecht_rocks

lol, pitch

james
    Free Member

“surely out of those 3 only one is a bike for life?

Yeah, the Pitch”

With a lifetime (frame) warranty is it the only one for life?

ChrisL

Keep the one you enjoy riding most?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which hardtail to keep?’ is closed to new replies.