Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Which hardtail 29er for around £1500?
  • hanchurch
    Free Member

I am starting to think the Orange Clockwork 100 S, thoughts?

hanchurch
    Free Member

Seriously, nothing?

steve_b77
    Free Member

KTM Aera Comp

weeksy

What are you looking for it to do ?

You could get a Kinesis FF29, a Solaris, a Cannondale, a Scott or a Giant XTC….

But without knowing what you’re after it for, it’s anyones guess.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Mainly old train lines, canal paths and some more technical woods. At the moment for fitness, but would like something that can be upgraded later if I wanted to get into it more seriously so a decent frame.

weeksy

Steel or Alu or indeed Carbon ?

Long susp, short Susp ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Seriously, nothing?

Not really. I only care about 26ers. I like my BFe so I’d say Solaris as Cotic make very good bikes but you might need to buy a used one for £1,000 as new will be closer to £2,000 I think.

warns74
    Free Member

Love my clockwork, however for 1500 quid I would not be buying off the shelf. Buy a frame and build up your own. For less than your £1500 budget i built mine up with xt/x9 drivetrains, xt brakes, 120 revelation fork, hope hoops (arch ex) wheelset and I absolutely love it, amazingly comfortable and superbly capable.

tomd
    Free Member

So if you’re aiming for that kind of riding maybe something quite “racey”. If you’re happy with direct order you won’t go wrong with the Canyon / Rose / Vitus offerings. £1500 gives you loads of choice if you go, worth checking out the Trek / Spesh / Giant / Scott / Cube etc ofering at your local shops.

Alternatively, if you’re aspiring to getting fit and getting miles in on easier tracks maybe consider a cyclocross type bike? Pinnacle Arkose or Giant TCX + loads of others. Will be great for most of what you describe.

Essentially, £1500 will get you something plenty good. Try a few out, pick the one you like the feel and colour of, or you like the shop. Ride it.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

on one lurcher – carbon
    salsa el mariachi – steel

kd48

FF29, nuff said.

MSP
    reggiegasket
    Free Member

mate bought a Canyon. I bought a carbon Cube.

hanchurch
    Free Member

I like the idea of carbon, I have seen the canyon cf sl 6.9, has anyone got any views on it?

jonny-m
    Free Member

This one, then spend the rest on better wheels, seat, bars etc…bargain!

Painey
    Free Member

Was also going to suggest the Whyte for that amount of money. Or you could go for a Canyon which are also very nice and will have better kit on it. When I’ve ridden the Giant XTC I just felt that everything about it was distinctly average.

I’ve recently bough a Cannondale F29 carbon which is superb but a bit out of your price range. The alloy ones come within budget but tbh you’d get more bike by going for either the Whyte or Canyon.

rhid

Banshee Paradox. Lovely bike….

6079smithw
    Free Member

Get a 2013 Cannondale Flash you silly billy 😀

jacob46
    Free Member

Specialized Crave

Life time warranty on frame.

ton

parkwood.
    then spend the other £500 on a road trip visiting some nice riding spots.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Just seen this on e-bay!
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291281939610
    So the next question is what carbon 29er would you buy for a £1500 budget if it was secondhand?

weeksy

hanchurch – Member

Just seen this on e-bay!
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291281939610
    So the next question is what carbon 29er would you buy for a £1500 budget if it was secondhand?

For riding towpaths and local trails ? Come on… seriously ? You’re asking our advice about the right sort of bike for what you’ve specified, then completely ignored it and looked at the lightest fastest, stiffest most race orientated XC bike you can find.

For the riding you’re planning… it’s a ridiculous choice.
    Charge Cooker
    Cotic Solaris
    On-One PArkwood
    Kinesis FF29

Can you see where they’re all going… easy to ride, nice geometry trailsy 29ers.

NormalMan

jacob46 – Member
    Specialized Crave

Life time warranty on frame.

+1

I used to have a Carve (name changed in 2014). Great bike.

fatmax

My Canyon CF SL 6.9 was delivered yesterday, will get assembled tonight and ridden at the weekend. £1600 for the 2014 model or £200 less for last year’s.
    Can report back soon.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Cool, I would be interested to hear your view on it, enjoy!

Northwind

Merlin has some BMCs on big discount just now, but limited sizes.

dantsw13

Titus Fireline Ti Evo.Built mine up from Frame- only for less than that.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Just got a Stanton Sherpa frame built up, just waiting for the forks to return from a service so can’t comment on the ride from personal experience however they seem to get decent reviews.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

darrenhowe
    Free Member

Ahem.
    Might I draw your attention to the 2013 Whyte 729 for sale in the classifieds section.
    Absolutely Awesome 29er, extremely well looked after bar a few paint chips.
    Done a number of 40 – 50 mile towpath and railway line rides, as well as a load of Surrey Hills single track usually more suited to a full-susser. If I weren’t selling mine I’d be recommending you spend your £1500 on a new one, they’re great bikes. But for £700 you get a serious bargain and have a wad of cash left for upgrades as and when you want to 😉

hanchurch
    Free Member

I’ve decided on a Cannondale flash 29er, but do I get a carbon 3 or an alloy 1?

mboy
    Free Member

How tall are you?

I know of a medium sized FF29 custom build up for £999.99 brand new… 120mm Recon fork 15mm axle, WTB tubeless wheels, SRAM X7/X9, FSA stem/post, Ritchey bars etc…

weeksy

Bargain Mboy!

ljs1977
    Free Member

Hanchurch

Is this any good for you? It’s mine

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/scott-scale-920-2013-price-please

crashrash

On one – Titus fireline – Ti and in budget, or parkwood and save £500! Same geo and great fun to ride. Had mine 6 months and love it.

nickdavies

Love my FF29, but the trek superfly carbon for £1600 is a pretty good deal I reckon…

welshfarmer

Another vote for the FF29. Had mine for about 2 weeks now and loving it 100%

I definitely “get” the 29″ thing now. A full convert. Just back from doing the Black and red loops at Brechfa today. 25 miles 4500 ft climbing. Was so much fun. Smashed all previous best times on my FS, on the ups and the downs!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Which hardtail 29er for around £1500?’ is closed to new replies.