Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which hard tail frame for a growing lad.
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Thinking ahead to Xmas, my going on 10yr old is ready for a proper mtb. I’ve got loads of decent parts in the shed to build him something.

What options are there for a Hardtail frame for a kid say 145-150cm? Looked at a Scandal but think the XS will be too big. Maybe a ladies frame? Ta.

Inbred456
    Free Member

What about a malt one 13 incher. Thought about one of those for my young un, went 24 inch wheel in the end. Thinking about 26 next time round.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My 11yo (in a week) daughter is on a 16″ on-one 456. It was mine and I am 5’6″ and she is 4’8″. Swapped the stem for a 50mm one and dropped an inline seatpost on it. Ideally I would have built up 14″ one with 165 or 170mm cranks but the budget has not allowed for this. It’s not a bad fit and will last a life time.

mcboo
    Free Member

Yes I had a look at Merlin. Presume the 1 is a basic alu frame (fine) , the 3 and 4 are a bit more top end?

mcboo
    Free Member

Yes he’s 4’8″ right now too. How does she find the weight of the 456? I loved mine but figured steel wasn’t going to work for a kid.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

She came from an Islabike which was very light in comparison but she has never mentioned the weight of the 456. She has no problems whipping round Cannock chase on it.

The extra weight can only make them stronger.

br
    Free Member

The extra weight can only make them stronger.

Or just put them off… 😳

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

*Edit…

The extra weight can only make them stronger MTFU.

Compared to the bikes I rode when I was a wee one it is incredibly light.

mcboo
    Free Member

Yeh my boy is on an Isla Bein 26, which is lovely and light but is really a CX bike and he wants to ride proper XC now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which hard tail frame for a growing lad.’ is closed to new replies.