Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • which guitar/amp?
  • racefaceec90

have asked this on musicradar but would be interested in peoples advice on this forum.unfortunately had to sell my only guitar and amp around a couple of months ago due to bills (had an indie super t guitar and a line 6 spider 2 75watt amp.)when i can afford to buy a new guitar amp,i am looking at an ibanez rg guitar (350ex or similar).and for an amp was thinking of either a blackstar ht5 combo or a line 6 spider 4 amp.i only play at home so if amp could come with a headphone socket,so as not to annoy neighbours at night.i attempt to play various styles,but mostly rock/metal (rush,metallica,e.t.c).any advice recommendations would be most helpful.thank you p.s was thinking of spending max £1000 for both.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Quite enjoying my Peavy Windsor Studio at the moment – a 1×12″ speaker to give some nice tone (I find smaller speakers just too tinny), and all valve power behind it. The power output is pretty low (can’t remember what), but it has an attenuator thingy (called a “Power Sponge” which lets you drive the valves hard for that nice crunchy tone, but reduce the output to more “terraced house friendly” levels 😉

Currently plugging a Les Paul Studio Swampash into it, which sounds divine, though would be a bit north of your budget 🙁

tall_martin

Hi,

I tried the spider amps but prefered the sound of vox valve tronic ones. They have a dial at the back that does the same thing as the Peavy mentioned above, oh and a headphones socket.

I tried and loved an rg but ended up with a collection of second hand random guitars insead- a cort, washburn and vintage have fun trying out a bunch:)

plumber
    Free Member

I’m currently running a Tech21 TM30 and a Blackstar HT-5 – various guitars but basically US Les Paul, US Strat and US Tele

I would say the Blackstar is a really fine amp for the money, it does need to be pushed to get it sounding sparkly and I find that level is neighbour unfriendly (it is pretty awesome though) The headphone output sounds completely crap to me

I’m looking to try the Blackstar HT-1 which should be out soon and possibly offers the elusive ‘tube sound’ at a reasonable level.

As I’ve said before on here I think the Tech21 TM30 is a really under rated amp and in my eyes indispensible for me – so much so I have 2

Recent nice things I’ve invested in are a Parker PM20 guitar and Line 6 M9 both of which have proved very good toys

Plum

racefaceec90

have just been looking at some youtube videos of brian may guitars.wow,i think that i have just found the guitar for me.(if you check out some of the videos,the range of sounds is unbelievable).have been looking at the prices and they fall right into the price i was thinking of (around £500).does anyone own/played one?what are they like? 😀

plumber
    Free Member

Quite a lot of expectation with a guitar like that perhaps?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘which guitar/amp?’ is closed to new replies.