Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which green lane tyre for small 125 cc?
  • rsmythe
    Free Member

Hi there,

Does anyone have any advice on what tyres are suitable for green landing on my small Suzuki ts125? I’m not exactly spoilt for green lanes so fair few road miles will need to be covered before getting to/from the lanes. Therefore, I think an overly aggressive knobbly tread is not suitable due to poor wear and grip on the road.

Most reviews I’ve seen online regarding excessive wear on the road are by riders that have much larger bikes so perhaps my little bike will ok?

I’ve also heard that narrow tyres are best for smaller bikes.

I’ve tried joining the local and national TRF forums but for some reason or other, I don’t yet have access.

Many thanks,

Rob

towzer

I used to use Mich T61, the T63 looks ok as well, they didn’t last that long (even on a DT175, but I never had an ‘unreasonable road slip’ incident on them either)

http://www.dirtybiking.co.uk/features/features_tyres_4offroad.htm

Note1 – not all tyres are road legal.

Note2 – do not get tyres with big knobbles on the sides – I had a cheap Barum once and it tried to climb out of every rut I was in (irrespective of what I wanted)

I also used http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/000949/Pirelli-MT43-Pro-Trials-Front-Tyre?mn=37&pt=69&st=mn (*well it was a while ago but it was a TRIals tyre as opposed to Trail) but that was as certain events required a Trials Tyre but they seemed to work ok offraod as well, however I found them less good on the road esp wet(but they were on different bikes so not a direct compare) *edit, sorry just remembered – first time I used them (so brand new, competition version I think as well and too inflated to be fair) dry road/xl250 I remembder them as being slippy when leaned over on so I’d suggest the T61/63 (or that style).

Pigface
    Free Member

For the back get a Trelloburg Army special.

towzer

This might be handy

http://www.rowmaps.com/

rsmythe
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, (and the useful link!)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Get a Pirelli MT 43 trials tyre. Not a modern sticky one. Bugger all power so it will be great. Infinitely better on rocks etc and minimally worse in deep mud especially if you run it with little air. 4psi isn’t too low. With a decent rim lock you can even just take the valve core out if really needed. Nasty on the road like that ❗ Forget knobblies, they wear and handle shite in comparison.

mark90
    Free Member

For a green laning and road sections I used to use MT21 on my old XT225

rsmythe
    Free Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I’ve heard good things about the trials tyres and road use. However, the only ones I can seem to find are tubeless which I’m currently not running.

allthegear
    Free Member

I know one thing – Michelin Anakee 2’s don’t really cut through mud too well.

Oops… 🙂

Rachel

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

You’d get away without the latest trials tyre which would wear too much at full retail price. A TS 125 is not going to overpower one of the older fashioned trials tyres on the road (still produced in tubed form for the older bikes but not by Michelin). Do a bit of Googling and go for one of those berated by us trials guys as not providing enough grip for competition use – it’ll be comparatively cheap.

A trials tread (made of ebony in comparison with the stuff now available) worked perfectly well in decades of the ISDT until they allowed knobblies so will provide all the grip you need for sensible trail riding.

The alternative is to use modern stuff discarded by trials riders when the blocks get a bit rounded – you can have four from me at a tenner each!

Ah yes towzer, I remember the good old Barum “pineapple” – but it was cheap from Bill Brown.

rsmythe
    Free Member

Stuck with tubed tyres currently so was thinking ET-01

Mitas ET-01

bradley
    Free Member

What’s the law surrounding green laning etc?

I have a crosser (kx250 2 stroke) and am curious as to what I must do with the bike in order to be able to do some trails riding…? Can I go up on the ridgeway without insurance etc?

rsmythe
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware, green lanes are rights of way for normal road traffic and so any bike that is ridden along them must be road legal. So I think your kx would have to be road registered etc

rsmythe
    Free Member

Tracks marked as blue on the website ROWmaps are open to motorised vehicles

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ah those Barums.
    Bought 6 from Bill Brown at a Farleigh Castle GP in the 80’s. Fiver each. Sold them to club mates for a tenner 😆
    Had one on the front of the KE 175 outfit. Didn’t seem to matter if it was flat on that thing.
    Buy those cheap stickies above. But be aware that they do have their own little ways until you get used to them.

epicsteve
    Free Member

MT21. Trials tyres are good off road but not on-road, same for road legal enduro tyres (although that’s what I used to run).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which green lane tyre for small 125 cc?’ is closed to new replies.