Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • which greek island holiday?
  • prawny

Kefalonia meat pie nom nom nom.

God yes, the only mystery meat product I’d eat by choice while sober

turbo1397
    Free Member

My inlaws stay in rhodes and ive been out several times. Lovely island, but head south. Stunning scenery and as previously said you can do a bike trip with rhodes roads. I usually take the roadbike over with me, really good roads and you discover some gorgeous village’s, especially in the centre of the island.

dobo
    Free Member

Thasos was nice and chilled but the weather is more changable and cooler than norm for greece.
    Crete was too bloomin hot and wouldnt rush back.
    Skiathos has something for everyone
    I really liked the buzz and feel of Parga on the mainland. We also made the drive to other parts of greece from there with the highlight being a night over at Meteora! awesome Monstaries in the mountains. forget the name of the other place but basically you can walk up a river to the mountains with awesome pools and views, got loads of pics. brilliant.

I’d like to try Stoupa one day, cant decide on other islands at the moment, too many to choose from.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

paxos is great, if a little different.
    nr corfu

sadexpunk

just a bump to see if any of you have been yet to the islands youve said youre going to this year and what you thought of them.

we’re just back from acharavi in corfu and and had a lovely break. prob wouldnt go back to corfu now as we didnt think that much to the beaches, plus we rented a car for a few days and saw most of what we wanted to.

looking at next year now. wifes already got her head stuck in the thomson brochure, but i fancy doing something away from travel reps and package breaks. the cost might prohibit that tho.

where’ve you all been so far this year and what did you think?

wilburt
    Free Member

I know but im not telling you lot.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ibiza in three weeks, all inclusive with international beers and spirits included.

😈

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Ibiza is one of the lesser known Greek islands…

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s an Island, it’s in the Med, I’m excited and I don’t care what you think. 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

😆
    John Doh on Holiday

‘TWO-OH BEER-OH POUR-FAH-VOWER! Christ love I think ‘e’s deaf’.

Skiathos was the best holiday we’d had up that point – hops to a couple of the other islands thrwon in. Nowt flash just chilled out.

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    johndoh
    Free Member

😀

That’s me. First summer sun holiday in six years and I need it….

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’ve got us a week on kefalonia booked for the end of september and i cannot wait! it’s been 10 years since i was last there and it was great back then, but this time we’re gonna hire bikes and ride around a lot of the island i reckon.

zippykona

Which is best for food and snorkeling?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ithaca.. Frickes (yes its called that is cool) as is kioni. Would love to take a road bike and island hop. Been all round these islands a few times on a yacht this was my favourite

mooseface
    Free Member

Had a nice week in Kefalonia with the missus. Another vote for the 9 muses in skala right on the beach. Been to mykonos the last 2 years if you go early it is cheap but very expensive any other time. Just don’t go into town when the cruise ships are about!

hora
    Free Member

Kefalonia. We staed at the Eagles Nest. Wild, fresh, ocassional big waves. Bet its been developed now but back 7yrs ago it rocked.

Great island with minimal chav towns

JulianA
    Free Member

Crete is the most amazing place. Archaeological sites, mountains, walking – it could keep you entertained for months.

Not too hot in September but still plenty warm. Shorts and t-shirts.

We’ve spent five or six weeks there in total over the past fifteen years and we still hope to go back and see more.

Never found a place in Greece we didn’t like – although Lesbos in general had more litter than most places and the area around Parga was dreadful for litter.

Kardhamili on the Mani is lovely, the Pelion peninsula is amazing, the Peloponnesus is fabulous – Tolon is a great base for the Argolid, which has so many archaeological sites and a beach if you like that sort of thing – you can’t really go wrong!

sadexpunk

looks like theres a lot of love for the pelopponese, mani peninsula. kardhamili and stoupa are close to each other yep?

just looking into the logistics of which airports etc at the moment. in north lincs so we’d want doncaster or east mids. manchester or birmingham at a push maybe.

car hire or no car hire down there do you think? would we have enough to go at just walking into the towns, beaches etc or would a car be essential to make the most of it?

thanks

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Loved Rhodes out of season – 95% of the island is beautiful.
    Crete is probably my favourite – so much to see and do from sport to culture.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Kalami on Corfu is lovely, very quiet, some lovely restaurants but it is small. Just up the coast from Agni which is also nice.

We liked Elunda on Crete, enough going on to make it interesting and some lovely places to eat.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just for the record, this thread was zombified by spam.

So fairly sure a month later the OP has got sorted.

dannyh
    Free Member

Skiathos.

Troulos is a quiet, relaxed village.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

No holiday this year. Booked to go back to Rhodes for two weeks September 2015. Faliraki again.

rascal
    Free Member

Just noticed this thread after starting a similar one myself recently.
    There seems to be a lot of love for Kefalonia…which is great news as I will have just arrived there this time next week 😛

montarius
    Free Member

I’ve been to a fair few Greek islands but my favourites are Thasos and Skiathos.

Thasos doesnt have an airport so less brits than the others which is a winner in my eyes.

postierich
    Free Member

Kefalonia is ace taken my bike a few times lots of good goat tracks stayed in Skala.

toys19
    Free Member

We stayed in stoupa, but rented a car and went all over the mainland. Loved the Peloponnese. Isn’t greece a bit doge now though? What with the economy and Golden Dawn?

toys19
    Free Member

#dodge..

Jamie
    Free Member

Isn’t greece a bit doge now though?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Crete is fantastic, great in late spring, we went 2 years in a row, and we’re going back this year, but we ended up in Corsica – which is equally fantastic.

Andy-R

toys19 – Member
    Isn’t greece a bit doge now though? What with the economy and Golden Dawn?

The only thing that’s dogedodgy about it is that in a couple of weeks I’ll be there, until the end of November.
    Unless I arrive in Platsa (which is in the mountains near Stoupa BTW)and find that some Southern Pelloponese chapter of ????? ???? (Golden Dawn) have commandeered our house to use as their regional HQ.

sadexpunk

thought id resurrect this rather than start another ‘tell me about…’ thread.

just back from our second visit to tsilvi and love the place. its made us question why go long haul next year when greece is so beautiful and so many islands yet to visit.
    mrs expunk is set on trying kefalonia and is thinking lassi at the moment but we dont know enough about the island to make an informed choice.
    which is where you come in…… 😀

so, could you tell me which places there would suit us please? nice sandy beaches, little authentic tavernas, the odd decent boat trip/snorkelling maybe, no football shirts etc.

thanks a lot

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’ve stayed in apartments in lassi twice now (including last year). you pretty much described it in that last paragraph.
    it’s also close enough to argostoli, the island’s capital, for you to head over there (it’s a couple of miles) if you want anything “bigger” so to speak, but even there you won’t find football shirted nightclub types at all.
    i’m definitely going back at some point again, i love it there.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Stayed at Lourdata on the south coast – a few miles east of Argostoli. Fantastic beach and tavernas.

If you do go make sure to visit Fiskardo in the North and some of the villages on the East side – lovely.

zer0cool
    Free Member

Went to Skiathos this time last month, never been to Greece before but loved it. My wife, 5 month old daughter and 3 year old all had a great time, was a very relaxed place.
    Stayed in Troulos, lovely beaches for swimming, really nice other holidaymakers, not rowdy Brits abroad in the slightest.
    Good direct flight from Newcastle, less than 4 hours.
    Would definitely return.

sadexpunk

yeah, troulos in skiathos was also another recommendation we looked at. not sure we can get flights from our nearest airports tho, doncaster, east mids or brum at a push.

thanks

EDIT: just had a look, looks like east mids flys there, maybe it was cos we were trying to get jet2 we moved onto kefalonia…….

johndoh
    Free Member

Kefalonia is lovely but the water can be weird for snorkelling in – the island is porous and water passes under it and comes out the other side really cold. This often leads to a lovely and warm surface but as soon as you dive the temperature drops quite a lot. I found it really weird and didn’t enjoy snorkelling there.

aidem
    Free Member

I’ll throw another option into the mix….Parga on the mainland,got an island feel to it,lots of different nationalities (no football shirts) flights to Preveza then about 45min transfer, been for the last couple of years, good value too.

sadexpunk

shes looking at svoronata now, not far from lassi i think. anyone been?

cheers aidem, ill look at that.

EDIT: also lourdas, i notice tiggs says he stayed at lourdata ^^^ same place?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘which greek island holiday?’ is closed to new replies.