Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • which grease?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

right as im a bit shite in the old lubricating certain parts of the old bike, what grease does everyone recommend? everyday bike use for QR's, seatpost, seatpost qr, pedals and just about every other greas-able bit on the bike???

around 10 quid tops please 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

(Something thicker for bearings though)

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

£3.99

Or £9.99 with the gun 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

castrol LM here

sv

You may need more than one to do it all – copper grease, general LM grease, waterproof bearing grease and IMO of course!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I got given (as an xmas present!) a big tub of Finish Line lithium grease years ago, and also have a smallish tube of copaslip handy as well, but hardly ever use that on the bike.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers, i wont be using it on bearings, to technical for me, mainly just things around qr, pedals, seat rails, a few bolts, seat tube etc…

is there one that i can use just for those? everyday easy maintenance type one please?

wwaswas

the finish one is fine for general use.

apply either with the special gun thingy that screws on the top or the trusty forefinger.

sv

If its for bolts it would have to be copper grease for me. Although you could get a tub of the lithium stuff and a small tube of copper for about a tenner.

messiah
    Free Member

I've not been impressed with Finish Line or Weldtite – I've used both as my "posh" bike grease for the nice bikes. I use a tub of Castrol LM for my beater bike duties and for purging SPD pedals etc where I use a lot of grease – and I have to say the Castrol seems to have more staying power.

I'm on the lookout for a better grease though – considering Rock-N-Roll Web Grease but why bother when Castrol LM does the job so well?

I'm thinking buy a big tub of LM and spend some pennies on a decent Dualco Grease Gun.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys, just ordered some finish line, got some copper slip/grease can get it in adbundance from work 🙂

will use this for qr's, pedals and the easy for a moron to maintain bits i think, about time i started to to take a bit more tlc towards it rather than just wash it to perfection 🙂

guessing just needs a smearing along the qr, not a load but enough….my qr last time i took it out was completely bone dry, could well be the problem for my squeeeeeking bike 🙁

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've used RnR Superweb for a good few years, but I've come to the conclusion its not really any better than standard grease when it comes to resisting water ingress.

sv

The QR and axle do not turn (they are clamped)when the bike rolls – it might be the bearings!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh right, but the qr's were mega greased up when i bought them, and now they have none on 🙂 gotta be worth a shot sticking some grease on first to check…..

wwaswas

all the greas on the qr does is stop it stickign in the axle. there's nothing rotating aroudn the qr when the wheels on the bike.

to check takw wheel out of bike, remove QR, hold then ends of the axle and spin the wheel, if it feels 'gritty' (any vibration through your fingers basically)or tyou can move the rim relative to the axle then it's the bearings.

afrothunder88

Apologies for the slight hijack, what grease is recommended for bearing duties, specifially an external BB??

Macavity
    Free Member

Molybdenum disuphide.

sv

what grease is recommended for bearing duties, specifially an external BB

There is a guy who knows all about bearing grease he may be along very soon but hopefully he has got a ban from STW.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Waterproof, thick enough for bearings, doesn't rot rubber, and is purple!

About £8 for a 500g tub that will last you years.

sv

+1 ^^^ very good.

afrothunder88

There is a guy who knows all about bearing grease he may be along very soon but hopefully he has got a ban from STW.

This is the reason I didn't want to start a thread asking the same!

Cheers Talkemada, I'll have a look for some of that.

Talkemada
    Free Member

I dare say that there's someone who may come along and pooh-pooh my suggestion, but I've been using this stuff now for about 15 years (seriously, I think that's how long I've had the tub! 😯 ),and it's always given great service. Got it originally to lubricate some Rock Shox Indy SL forks, on the recommendation of a bike mechanic. Some other types of greases rot and swell rubber seals, so aren't good for bearings etc. That white Teflon grease is too thin for bearings really. LM grease is ok but apparently not too good for rubber. The Silkolene RG2 is formulated not to degrade rubber.

Anyway, it's done me well for all these years, so I'm sticking with it. You'll find it in a motor factors or motorbike shop. Dunno if Halfords carry Silkolene products.

DezB
    Free Member

Pooh-pooh !

MrBlond
    Free Member

Resurrecting an old thread, what grease for loose hub bearings?

i.e. thick and waterproof (pre-empting the pedants, yes, I realise grease is, by definition, pretty waterproof)

Onzadog
    Free Member

+1 for the RG2. Just got the the bottom of my last pot and off to replace it with the same. Great stuff.

z1ppy

Another voice for the silkolene RG2 here

sv

I take it you can buy the dispenser 'pump' for the 500g RG2 tub?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've got one of the Dulco grease guns that I use with it. Really easy to fill as the tub as a disc on top with a hole in the middle. Invert the can of the grease gun over the hold and push down. Easy mess free filling.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've got RG2, Castrol LM and Finishline lying around in the garage, but the best stuff I've found by far is Shimano Dura-Ace (it used to be called Pro-Set Lube) and its fluorescent green 😀

sv

Dualco grease guns look the 'ticket' – cheers Onzadog.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Ta all

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘which grease?’ is closed to new replies.