Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Which ‘Gravity-Dropper seat post?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I’m looking for a remote, bar operated seat post ‘dropper’. There’s the Joplin from Crank Brothers and of course the Gravity Dropper. I can’t remember the other, new one I’ve seen around…

Which is the best of the offerings? I know they suffer from ‘play’, but from accounts this doesn’t seem to effect much from the saddle point of feel

Ben_Haworth

Gravity Dropper, Crank Bros Joplin and Pure Racing i900 posts reviewed in the new issue of Singletrack 🙂

Oxboy
    Free Member

Watching this thread with interest . . . . 8)

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ben_Haworth – Moderator

Gravity Dropper, Crank Bros Joplin and Pure Racing i900 posts reviewed in the new issue of Singletrack [:-)]

Quality!

Do I have to buy a copy to find out which one won?

Edit: I’m thinking of switching my subscription from mbr 🙂

singlespeedstu

Tightwad…. 😛

bonesetter
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

Tightwad…. [:P]

Well, I was really hoping to save a trip down WHS and stand around reading it in there – super tight already! already!

igm

No – Tescos do a reference library service

jonb
    Free Member

Which ones are available in 27.2mm

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m with jonb on this one!

grahamt1980

gravity dropper is 27.2, I have one, not sure about the longevity of the other pneumatic style ones.
    Gravity dropper just seems to have a spring and locking pins, Keep it simple stupid

druidh
    Free Member

27.2? Still has to be a Gravity Dropper then. The Joplins aren’t available yet?

I have a GD. Been running it for around 3 years and it’s had one cable change / re-grease in that time.

Oh – and there’s one called the Sette Right too I think

psychle
    Free Member

had my gravity dropper for 2 years now, absolutely no problems with it! Just replaced the cable as it wore out eventually, but the up/down mechanism works fine. highly recommended 🙂

nick1c
    Free Member

I use a maverick remote (=joplin?). Had it for a year with no probs, great bit of kit. I also use a rear mudguard which although ugly has the dual benefit of keeping my ar$e dry & the post clean.

bonesetter
    Free Member

So, if you have a larger dia seat post (eg 30.9) presumably there’s a reducer collar of some kind?

Does this work well, and not effect confidence in stability of the post?

grumm
    Free Member

I just got a KS i900 from xxcycle in france for £108 delivered, pretty speedy too. I didn’t get the remote version as they didn’t have it in my size. Was hoping to add the remote kit later but it looks as though the cable stop is missing so I dunno if it will work.

Seems pretty decent but I’ve not tried it in anger yet.

edit: btw mine is in 30.9 size

richc
    Free Member

If you need a 30.9 then there is also the specialized one

bonesetter
    Free Member

Good reveiw of it here: KS Cobra i900 Seatpost | £119.99

grumm
    Free Member

BTW there is a teensy little bit of play on mine – but its nothing compared to my mate’s gravity dropper.

More good reviews here:

descent world
    steed cycles blog

5thElefant
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the others but I got my GD 3(?) years ago. Occasionally gets sticky for the first use on a ride, but frees up after a few seconds. Apart from that it works great. I’ve only cleaned it once and don’t use the gator.

bonesetter
    Free Member

richc – Member

If you need a 30.9 then there is also the specialized one

Do you mean this one?

Titec Pyro’ Scoper Prolite Telescoping Seatpost

grumm
    Free Member

Surely he meant the specialized command post?

lovell
    Free Member

Hite Rite?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ahh, now that looks pretty good.

Specialized Command Post

grumm
    Free Member

An inch less travel than the ks one though.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hmmm… 3 height settings, and made by Spesh

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got one of the gd turbo multi ones not sure what they are called its full height/1 inch drop/3inch further drop on a remote

very good and works well more clucky than i expected but i guess thats what comes from keeping it simple and user servicable 😉

great bit of kit

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Command post looks mint!
    Will be waiting for that I reckon!

bonesetter
    Free Member

No word on release for the Command Post?

Conor
    Free Member

What’s the cheapest one? I want one for the Mega and will probably not use it too often (it’s pretty certain I’ll snap it eventually) so don’t want to spend big money.

grumm
    Free Member

Quite a few problems with the command post according to page 2 of this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4897381&page=2

simonm
    Free Member

I thought there was a press release about Joplin being released in 27.2mm in Jan ?

Rickos
    Free Member

A 4 inch drop Joplin in 27.2 will be available shortly…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Well the Command Post is in stock at Spesh UK, and retails for £240. Local Spesh shop says they’ll do one for £220 😯

MrAgreeable

Oh – and there’s one called the Sette Right too I think

That’ll be the Sette Ryde – cheap as chips from US website Pricepoint and comes in 27.2.

Sette Ryde ST-850 Suspension Dropper Seatpost: First Impressions

grumm
    Free Member

Just had a quick ride round on mine with the KS i900 fitted – feels fine using the lever on the post rather than a remote – though I guess if you were racing you might well want the remote.

Felt a bit dubious reaching between my legs to mess about with it in the car park outside. 😛

steve_b77
    Free Member

I have a Joplin on my Pitch, it was a great investment to be honest.

I had to re-grease the shaft (ohh err) after an incredibly wet ride in the Cambrians, but other than that it’s been problem free

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

I’m addicted to changing saddle height for different conditions. I have one of each, a Crank Brothers on my new HiFi 29er and a Gravity Dropper on my old Stumpy.

The Crank Brothers is lever operated, under the seat, and after I got used to it, it’s instinctive, although I don’t operate it for a few feet of trail like I did with the bar-mount switch on the Gravity Dropper.

My complaint about the Gravity Dropper is the moronic cable routing, which the lever under the seat on the CB eliminates. There are several models, but on my Dropper the cable comes right out of the front of the post, and has to make a sharp bend to be affixed to the top tube. In addition to looping the cable strangely, the fixture where it enters the seatpost looks like it could break off and stab you in the leg.

The Gravity Dropper only stops at each end of the travel, but the Crank Brothers can be placed anywhere along its travel and stays there fine.

Orwell was a f#$king optimist.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

A word on the Joplin (is anyone from Crank Bros reading?), one muddy ride on the Mendips and the whole thing needed dismantling, cleaning and regreasing. I now use an old shock boot to protect it from the worst of the crud that gets thrown up by the rear wheel.

Seems like the seals are far from perfect.

But when it works, it’s sweet. I dont feel that I need the remote, I like to fiddle around between my thighs.

Also, you will get several degrees of rotational movement with most seatposts of this type. Seems weird at first, but you dont really notice it when riding.

the_lecht_rocks

what agent said – my Joplin is excellent , but protected with a neoprene chainstay boot 😀

markgraylish
    Free Member

There are several models, but on my Dropper the cable comes right out of the front of the post, and has to make a sharp bend to be affixed to the top tube.

Spin the post around so that the cable exit is at the rear. An easy fix though potentially subject to more mud-infestation…

The Gravity Dropper only stops at each end of the travel

…depends on the model. Mine’s a 1″ or 4″ drop, though it is sometimes difficult to find the sweet-spot for the 1″ drop.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Which ‘Gravity-Dropper seat post?’ is closed to new replies.