Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which gravel/cross bike?
  • wallop

I’m curious.

I think I’d prefer steel (my road bike is a very comfortable steel Condor) but could be persuaded otherwise.

Would probably want rack/guard mounts. Defo disc brakes.

boxelder
    downhillfast
    Free Member

GT Grade.
    Boardman CX Team.

tomhoward

[recommend what you have]

Specialized Sequoia

[/recommend what you have]

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Marin 4 Corners. More rack and guard mounts than you can shake a stick at.

Bregante

My road bike is steel.
    My mountain bike is steel.

I freely admit that the only reason I didn’t get a steel gravel bike is due to price.

My Arkose cost me £1100 and came with a full 105 hydraulic set up. I added a set of 27.5 wheels and a set of 47 mm tyres.

Since buying it 4 weeks ago I’ve done a 65 mile road ride where it was pretty much as quick as !y road bike, a 50 mile bridleway ride and commuted to work and back a few dozen times.

It’s bloody brilliant.

ontor
    Free Member

love my stooshie!

lorax

I’d head straight back to Condor and make a down payment on a Bivio Gravel

fudge9202
    Free Member

Also had steel road bike and several steel hardtail in 29er but on price alone got a Cannondale CAADX with full 105 also. Fitted with Vittoria hyper 35’s it super comfy. Will be fitting new Panaracer Gravelking sk for off-road. To be honest find it as comfy as my old Cdf

RustyNissanPrairie

Recommend what you have – Norco Search chromoly with 105, R1 brakes, Hunt wheels and Lynsky carbon fork. Brilliant bike – shame they don’t make them anymore!

antigee

not actually what I’ve got but saw one a couple of weeks ago and looked the business if steel it has to be

http://bombtrack.com/bikes/hook-2-2/

only negatives for me would be the pressfit BB and think that tyres fitted as standard (36mm) may be near the limit – might have read a review that said won’t take 40mm – but might be wrong on that – personally I’m happy with 35mm but not taking wider could impact any resale value if decide don’t like with the way things seem to be going

wallop

That Stooshie looks really nice. I’m thinking my budget may restrict me to alu though – thanks for all the suggestions so far. Arkose might be a good start.

What are the sartorial guidelines? All the boys seem to wear lycra and a peaked helmet 😆 Can I wear baggies?

Do they do a High Roller II gravel tyre? 😀

tomhoward

Baggies, Lycra top, peaked helmet here. The more things (bags racks bottles) you can attach to the bike, even if just popping to the shops completes the look too…

Sequoia is steel, and nice, and can be had for a third the price of a stooshie…

roger_mellie

All the boys seem to wear lycra and a peaked helmet

That’ll be me then 😉 I do it just to annoy anally retarded types.

Tyre suggestions which get recommended on here often:

Panaracer Gravel King SK
    http://www.off-road.cc/content/review/tyres/panaracer-gravelking-sk-tyre-820

Schwalbe G-one also great all rounder a/c to road.cc and about £25.

Hutchinson Overide 35, but not great wear rate apparently.

epicyclo

I’m happy with what I’ve got, but if I was looking for reasonably priced and decent spec it would be a Genesis.

monkeyboyjc

Singular Kite?

benp1

2 steel MTBs her and my gravel/road bike is an Arkose. But that was because it’s an excellent price for an excellent bike

If I’d had more money to spend I’d have loved to have something in steel. Not sure I would be riding it anymore (and it would be more of a liability for commuting)

mm93
    Free Member

Picked up a Pinnacle arkose 2 on Saturday,i’ve only ever had mountain bikes before so I have nothing to compare it to,but it looks and feels like a nice bit of kit to me,did 30 miles on it yesterday ,mix of road,canal paths and some stoney gravelly type fire roads on Cannock chase and it did everything well.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Does this count?

More MTB/Gravel than Gravel/Cross, I guess. Not especially cheap, but I like it a lot.

(I’ve only had one aluminium frame, and it’s the only frame failure I’ve ever had.)

wors
    iainc

Croix De Fer is a decent option and steel.

bothybiker
    Free Member

Genesis Croix de Fer.

Have one, love it, therefore must be the best recommendation.

Bregante

These look nice. Basically a steel NS Rag+

Rondo Ruut ST

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I’ll buck the trend here.

I have a Cannondale Cadxx 105 – great and recommend.

BUT,

I borrowed a mates Whyte Friston for a 100km tour of the North Yorkshire moors and found it amazing to ride. I recommend that over my Caddx.

Wouldn’t buy a Pinnacle Arkose – I thought they were really boring to ride.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-plug-grinduro-single-speed-adventure-road-bike/

Great bang for the buck spec, £510 for a hydraulic singlespeed that takes 40mm Nanos.

wallop

Have totes fallen love with that Rondo Ruut.

Kuco

Specialized Diverge

soma_rich
    Free Member

Breezer have some nice bikes at great prices:

TheDoctor
    Free Member

soma_rich – Member

Breezer have some nice bikes at great prices:

looks nice available in the UK??

jonnyrockymountain

NS Rag+

pigyn
    Free Member

That’s a nice RAG build you have there Jonny!

peteimpreza

[recommend what you have]

Coptic Escapade

[/recommend what you have]

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Kona jake £699 from go outdoors

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

jonny rocky mountain, what bar tape you have there? looks nice and comfy

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which gravel/cross bike?’ is closed to new replies.