Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Which GPS with HR that doesn't need bespoke software to upload to computer?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mio 105H and they’ve just changed the software interface that is on the computer. As a result, my computer no longer recognizes the device and I can’t get the routes off it.

A friend showed me her Garmin 800 this weekend and she said that you can transfer files in Windows explorer.

Are there any others like that where I won’t need to use proprietary software to transfer rides? Are the smaller Garmin 500’s like this or do they absolutely need GarminConnect?

Needs to be able to link with heart rate strap and possibly speed/cadence.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I just grab the .fit files off my garmin forerunner. And upload it to garmin site which is synced to my strava.

Sam

Garmin 500 straight from unit to strava/endomondo – though IIRC I needed to install some other software to make it work. From an end user perspective all I do now is plug it in and press ‘upload’.

njee20
    Free Member

Edge 510/810/1000 will sync direct via wifi if that’s any better?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I want direct access to the .gpx file. i.e. to be able to see the GPS unit as just another drive letter in Explorer.

Fancy syncing and what not can come later, but I don’t want to be reliant on gps software drivers etc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

With no drivers to install, with a Garmin Edge (and maybe others) you just connect with USB and it’s seen as an external drive. Just copy the files from the drive.

However they are .fit files, but you can upload them to Garmin Connect web site via their web site (stupidly hidden option for importing via the Activities menu). You can also enable syncing to Strava & Endomondo by connecting your Garmin account to those and it will sync as soon as you upload to Connect.

Want a GPX? You can export from Connect, Strava or Endomondo web sites. Though you might lose the heart rate stuff, not sure. .fit files contains everything from all sensors with cadence, speed, heart rate and even ambient temperature.

Alternatively an Edge 510 & 810 have bluetooth and can sync with Connect via their app on your phone via 3G & WiFi. 1000 also has WiFi built in so can do it via WiFi directly, again to Connect.

Or, okay involves installing software, but there’s a browser plug in that works with Strava & Endomondo. Once installed, just connect Garmin and sync files from their web sites, job done.

scotroutes

Garmin Dakota and Oregon both do what you are after.
    They link to HR and Cadence and appear as a drive in Windows explorer.
    They create standard GPX files that can be uploaded to almost anything.
    As a bonus, they can run off standard NIMH rechargeables so are great for multi-day trips.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks DK and Scot!

I’ve already got a Dakota a while ago, its a bit bulky and having to use normal rechargeables I find is a bit of pain – cos I don’t tend to use anything else that needs them any more.

superfli
    Free Member

I upload my fr310xt activities using my phone. USB on the go cable with ant+ slotted in. Couple of service on phone and St uploaded. Get your gpx off connect website

Superficial
    Free Member

Edge 510/810/1000 will sync direct via wifi if that’s any better?

… Via Bluetooth on your phone – the unit itself doesn’t have WiFi. Now, garmin connect uploads straight to strava if that’s your thing.

But as above, it just connects as an external device and you can copy/paste files if you wish.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Are the Garmins the only ones that I can view the files on?

What about Bryton?

cp

I upload my fr310xt activities using my phone. USB on the go cable with ant+ slotted in. Couple of service on phone and St uploaded. Get your gpx off connect website

What phone do you use? Any special apps needed to drive the ant stick?

superfli
    Free Member

You need ant+ usb and radio service apps from play store. Then st uploader app. You can use the app to send activities to garmin, strava and loads more.
    I have an s3

njee20
    Free Member

… Via Bluetooth on your phone – the unit itself doesn’t have WiFi. Now, garmin connect uploads straight to strava if that’s your thing.

The 1000 does, I assumed the 510/810 did as well, my bad.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Got the 510 and it just has the Bluetooth, but it’s been hassle and a lot of reports of similar hassle in their forums. It doesn’t like to pair with the phone basically. Had it not working 9 times out of 10 for a while. That said, latest firmware might have improved it (also has resolved issues with corrupting .fit files), it’s worked the last few times I tried.

njee20
    Free Member

Same with my 1000, I’ve had to reset the device twice to get it to pair, even then it’s sporadic, plus I’ve usually put my phone in my pocket before I turn on my GPS, so if I’m that bothered I have to get it back out and click “allow” etc etc. How is it the Parrot in my car can just sync perfectly every time, but the Garmin requires me to ‘approve’ it each time!?

The wifi, however, is excellent. I have it set up on my home and work networks, as soon as I ride into the office car park, or stick the bike in the garage, it uploads the ride.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ok, so it is the 800 series that are the entry point to uploading and being able to view maps?

Superficial
    Free Member

Yes.

Well, sort of. There is a cheaper version that will do maps but won’t do HRM/cadence – the Edge Touring.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ah, ok, it needs to do HR for sure. Thanks

Superficial
    Free Member

Got the 510 and it just has the Bluetooth, but it’s been hassle and a lot of reports of similar hassle in their forums. It doesn’t like to pair with the phone basically.

Yeah, I’ve had real problems with it. Worked flawlessly for a while, and then an update (either my phone, or the Garmin, or both) killed it completely. It’s working currently so I’m never updating again! When it’s working it’s great though, to auto-sync and upload rides.

I suppose Wifi would be nice – didn’t realise the 1000 had that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I still have to go online to change the ride type to MTB on Connect, Endomondo which default to road, and set the correct bike on Strava. So I just upload via USB usually and also back up the .fit file as I don’t trust it to not corrupt the file at some point given my past experiences.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep I still go onto Strava and change bike and what not, does make it marginally quicker!

jankalman
    Free Member

You could also try this one http://www.sygic.com/en/gps-navigation-australia .
    I have already installed it and works fine 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS with HR that doesn't need bespoke software to upload to computer?’ is closed to new replies.